I don't have a vote but would vote "Yes" if I did
107 (46.5%)
I don't have a vote but would vote "No" if I did
26 (11.3%)
I don't have a vote and haven't decided how I would vote if I did
9 (3.9%)

Total Members Voted: 230

PadraicHenryPearse

Your kid is friends with their kid and wants to invite them around to play. They are on the same sports team. They are on some parents committee at school. They move in next door...

some scenarios for you!!

topcuppla

Quote from: gallsman on May 05, 2015, 06:58:03 PM
Quote from: topcuppla on May 05, 2015, 06:32:37 PM
Quote from: gallsman on May 05, 2015, 06:18:13 PM
I call bullshit on this pathetic, bigoted, homophobic gobshite having kids. He's clearly about 16.

If not, I pity you, your other half, your kids and your family.

That bit in bold is amazing, so my wife and kids whom you know nothing about are to be pitied, the tolerant yes campaign you do them proud.

Yes, they are to be pitied. You are a cretin.

Says an individual who can only abuse people who don't agree with them.

J70

Quote from: topcuppla on May 05, 2015, 06:17:17 PM
Quote from: J70 on May 05, 2015, 05:59:22 PM

Judging from your sarcastic, hysterical tone, it looks like you're very genuine about looking for guidance from advocates of tolerance in explaining this stuff to your kids.  ::)

How are YOU going to explain homosexuality to your kids? Presumably it will come up at some point? That they're evil/deviant/perverted/sick/paedophiles etc. etc.?

Personally, I would explain it to them that some people are different, and that is ok, the same as skin colour. Depending on the age of the child, the depth of the details will vary. If in the future, they were to find themselves confused and conflicted about their sexuality, I certainly would not want them to be afraid of coming to me because I had been expressing contempt and hatred for homosexuals in the past.

The point is if it is a normal trait in humans does one explain the facts of life - male and female, conceiving a child and all that, but then say this also could not apply to you son / daughter as homosexuality and being with a partner of the same sex is also very normal human behaviour, and what age do you tell them is 10 or 11 OK for this as well?  How much detail does one go into, do you explain this to all kids even those you don't believe to be gay, it is all very confusing.  As for the bit in bold - doesn't cover yourself in glory there.

Hey, you're the one railing against homosexuality being natural,  claiming it's a choice because you knew a guy who went a bit camp after he came out. If you would tell your kids otherwise,  good.

As for the rest, I don't see your problem:

Lesson 1: this is how babies are made.

Lesson 2: some people are gay.

Procreation and sexuality,  two different issues and lessons.

I'm sure you can figure out the details appropriate for your child's age and maturity.

laoislad

Quote from: topcuppla on May 05, 2015, 06:58:26 PM
There are 30 kids in my youngest class, I know about 6 parents, I am not sure I understand the point you are trying to make or what you are trying to allude to.
So you only know 6 sets of parents?
Funny because I thought you said earlier you were dropping them off to a different party nearly every weekend.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

J70

Quote from: topcuppla on May 05, 2015, 06:54:53 PM
To save you 3 pages of posts, I'll repeat if Barry and Paddy were the parents of a child in my child's class I can't see how I would get to know them.

Why not?

Maguire01

There are 30 kids in my youngest class, I know about 6 parents, I am not sure I understand the point you are trying to make or what you are trying to allude to.
So you only allow your child to go to the birthday parties in those 6 houses?

topcuppla

Quote from: laoislad on May 05, 2015, 07:08:28 PM
Funny because I thought you said earlier you were dropping them off to a different party nearly every weekend.

I am married, my wife does the school things but nice try.  It is pathetic what you are alluding too, btw Barry and Paddy as parents was made up.

topcuppla

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 05, 2015, 07:10:44 PM

See post above, again slightly pathetic and petty.

Maguire01

Quote from: topcuppla on May 05, 2015, 07:11:02 PM
Quote from: laoislad on May 05, 2015, 07:08:28 PM

I am married, my wife does the school things but nice try.  It is pathetic what you are alluding too, btw Barry and Paddy as parents was made up.
So if your wife knew and trusted Barry and Paddy?

Maguire01

Quote from: topcuppla on May 05, 2015, 07:11:41 PM

No, you're tying yourself in knots. First it was specifically a gay couple, then it was any man, then it was people you didn't know and trust...

topcuppla

Quote from: Maguire01 on May 05, 2015, 07:16:43 PM

No, you're tying yourself in knots. First it was specifically a gay couple, then it was any man, then it was people you didn't know and trust...

I think you are doing that to yourself, I'll let you go off and find all these quotes, you were doing so well too, but you are letting yourself down now, bless.  I said I would not let my child go to a party if the childs parents were Paddy and Barry (two gay men - do you understand now?) I said I would not feel comfortable dropping my child off with one man let alone two (do you see the point I was making here) and I would not be comfortable leaving my child anywhere I didn't know and trust the parents, so what is your point.  Maybe you just drop your kids off anywhere but I take my parental rights very seriously.

muppet

Can anyone explain how a Yes vote does the opposite to 'support', or in any way undermines, families?

(If you think same-sex couple are likely to abuse children then please don't bother replying, as you will cause offence. Seek help instead)
MWWSI 2017

Maguire01

Quote from: topcuppla on May 05, 2015, 07:27:49 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on May 05, 2015, 07:16:43 PM

I think you are doing that to yourself, I'll let you go off and find all these quotes, you were doing so well too, but you are letting yourself down now, bless.  I said I would not let my child go to a party if the childs parents were Paddy and Barry (two gay men - do you understand now?) I said I would not feel comfortable dropping my child off with one man let alone two (do you see the point I was making here) and I would not be comfortable leaving my child anywhere I didn't know and trust the parents, so what is your point.  Maybe you just drop your kids off anywhere but I take my parental rights very seriously.
I wouldn't drop my children off with anyone I don't trust, be they straight, gay, single, married, co-habiting... Simple as that. The reasoning should be fairly self-explanatory.

You wouldn't leave your child with a gay couple (not sure if this is just gay men, or if it would apply to a lesbian couple). Why not?
You said you wouldn't drop your child off where one man is hosting a birthday party. Why not?

If you don't trust specific people, then there's a clear logic. If you don't trust certain categories of people, based on their gender or sexuality for example, then you should be able to justify this.

J70

Quote from: muppet on May 05, 2015, 07:31:05 PM
Can anyone explain how a Yes vote does the opposite to 'support', or in any way undermines, families?

(If you think same-sex couple are likely to abuse children then please don't bother replying, as you will cause offence. Seek help instead)

Apparently traditional families are so fragile and the lure of homosexual relationships so great that hordes of men and women will drop all, abandon their spouses and  kids and run off to get married to their gay lovers.

armaghniac

Quote from: muppet on May 05, 2015, 07:31:05 PM

I did, several times.

Perhaps you should get a franchise for these for the yes campaign.

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B