NFL Division 1 2024

Started by Blowitupref, January 16, 2023, 08:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: Cunny Funt on March 19, 2023, 06:46:40 PM
Quote from: Armagh18 on March 19, 2023, 06:38:04 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on March 19, 2023, 05:47:55 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on March 19, 2023, 05:22:54 PM

Contrast this with Mayo who have been the best team to watch during the entire League to date. I would have thought that they were entering a transition phase having lost so many players in the last few years so I'm not sure how they produce a new batch while still competing at the top level. 

The last decent group from Mayo was 2013-2017. Since 2017 that group of players have been retiring/dropped. That's 6 years ago. Seems like a short time to auld bucks like us.
Couple of provincials and all ireland final appearances since then, not a bad rebuild. If Armagh don't win sam i'd love to see Mayo do it of course, but would be heart breaking for Lee Keegan.

Rebuild was done under Horan. Introduced the likes of O'Donoghue,Flynn,Conroy etc into the side it was a perfect opportunity for McStay to step in and he stocked his management team to leave no stone unturned.   Should go on to win the league title now and it's going to take a very good team to beat them in this years All Ireland.
Be interesting to see them against a full strength Kerry, huge credit to how they've gone so far especially after losing 2 of the best defenders in the country.

For a good while the only team that beat Mayo was themselves.

Captain Obvious

Joanne Cantwell on the Sunday game tonight reckons Monaghan will need 15 men instead of 13 when they play Tyrone again in the championship in a months time.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 19, 2023, 09:24:34 PM

Contrast this with Mayo who have been the best team to watch during the entire League to date. I would have thought that they were entering a transition phase having lost so many players in the last few years so I'm not sure how they produce a new batch while still competing at the top level. 

The last decent group from Mayo was 2013-2017. Since 2017 that group of players have been retiring/dropped. That's 6 years ago. Seems like a short time to auld bucks like us.
Couple of provincials and all ireland final appearances since then, not a bad rebuild. If Armagh don't win sam i'd love to see Mayo do it of course, but would be heart breaking for Lee Keegan.

Rebuild was done under Horan. Introduced the likes of O'Donoghue,Flynn,Conroy etc into the side it was a perfect opportunity for McStay to step in and he stocked his management team to leave no stone unturned.   Should go on to win the league title now and it's going to take a very good team to beat them in this years All Ireland.
Be interesting to see them against a full strength Kerry, huge credit to how they've gone so far especially after losing 2 of the best defenders in the country.

Themselves being a Dublin team who in their own back garden blew away teams for a decade.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: yellowcard on March 19, 2023, 06:13:54 PM
   Mayo   6   4   2   0   112   82   10
   Galway   6   3   2   1   77   67   8
   Kerry   6   3   0   3   92   88   6
   Tyrone   6   3   0   3   95   94   6
   Roscommon   6   3   0   3   84   83   6
   Armagh   6   2   1   3   79   80   5
   Monaghan   6   2   0   4   89   105   4
   Donegal   6   1   1   4   67   96   3

The only certainty is that Donegal are definitely relegated and Mayo are definitely in the League final. Galway look favourites to join Mayo in a League final but they will need a result against Kerry to guarantee that. I don't think Kerry will be too bothered about that match so I can see a Galway v Mayo League final which could be interesting. In the unlikely event that Monaghan and Armagh both win their final match, there could be a whole host of teams finishing on 6 points in which case scoring difference comes into play and it would be time to get the abacus out.

Donegal aren't definitely relegated. A draw for Armagh and a win for Donegal and Monaghan bring it to points difference. Can't see Donegal doing it, they were septic today
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

armaghniac

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on March 19, 2023, 10:04:38 PM
Donegal aren't definitely relegated. A draw for Armagh and a win for Donegal and Monaghan bring it to points difference. Can't see Donegal doing it, they were septic today

Donegal only have 3 points. The only thing that could save them was a big win, Armagh losing by a large margin and Monaghan drawing.
Pretty improbable.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

yellowcard

They have been impressive throughout the League but they still have plenty to prove before they can be considered genuine contenders. No different to most other division one sides I feel. They made a League final last season only to be ripped to shreds by Kerry in Croke Park. Despite losing Mullin and Keegan they look to have improved from last season but part of that could be simply down to a new manager bounce. Time will tell but if they win out in Connacht this year then they might be considered genuine contenders.

Rudi

No 23 for Kerry, clearly trips McKeown for a penalty, what were the umpires at? Roscommon could very easily land themselves in a league final. Cavanagh must have switched off the Kerry game after 10 minutes last night. Who were Kerry playing last night?

Rossfan

Awful poor coverage, no comments on game,  no review of McKeon incident.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

marty34

Too many games on, between football and hurling, over all the divisions unfortunately.

illdecide

Now that the dust has settled a bit I'll give you my two bobs worth on Armagh...We have lost the plot, Armagh have great forwards and playing them all in our own half back line is a sin. I get what KMcG is trying to achieve by pulling everyone back and trying to hit the other teams on the counter as we're poor defensively atm but it's not working. I love Armagh and have followed them all my life and I'm considering taking a sabbatical away as I genuinely can't watch that crap atm. I honestly would rather be beaten and having a go/rattle than get beaten in a close game that was like watch grass grow.
For some reason our top forwards are all below par and seem to be short of confidence...do we go for a shoot out with the Kerry's etc and get humped as we'll be left exposed at the back?...I dunno but if we're still losing anyway why not try it out and see. We have to go to Omagh next week and Tyrone will love nothing more than relegating Armagh and we will only have ourselves to blame for this mess as we had a chance to win every game so far and couldn't manage it, from what i have seen the 3 teams at the bottom are the worst teams in Div 1 and there's nothing between Monaghan and Armagh so whoever has the goolies for it next week will stay up.

I know i'm a bit old school here but can someone please tell me why all forwards are afraid to shoot from 30-45m out, this is from all the games in general. Are forwards told not to shoot unless it's in front of the posts...is this a % thing?. you see guys in what i think is a scoreable position but they won't shoot and recycle the ball across and back and across and back and across and back before someone gets dispossed and the counter attack starts...WTF. You're a County footballer, get within 30-45m and pop the the ball over the bar. Even at club level I played with guys who didn't think twice about shooting from those ranges and hardly ever missed...Maybe the footballer is being replaced with an athlete now and fitness/strength is preferred to a proper footballer...

Rant over...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Armagh18

Quote from: From the Bunker on March 19, 2023, 09:47:55 PM

Themselves being a Dublin team who in their own back garden blew away teams for a decade.
The own goals and silly red cards at crucial times did help Dublin though lol

Armagh18

Quote from: illdecide on March 19, 2023, 11:53:19 PM
Now that the dust has settled a bit I'll give you my two bobs worth on Armagh...We have lost the plot, Armagh have great forwards and playing them all in our own half back line is a sin. I get what KMcG is trying to achieve by pulling everyone back and trying to hit the other teams on the counter as we're poor defensively atm but it's not working. I love Armagh and have followed them all my life and I'm considering taking a sabbatical away as I genuinely can't watch that crap atm. I honestly would rather be beaten and having a go/rattle than get beaten in a close game that was like watch grass grow.
For some reason our top forwards are all below par and seem to be short of confidence...do we go for a shoot out with the Kerry's etc and get humped as we'll be left exposed at the back?...I dunno but if we're still losing anyway why not try it out and see. We have to go to Omagh next week and Tyrone will love nothing more than relegating Armagh and we will only have ourselves to blame for this mess as we had a chance to win every game so far and couldn't manage it, from what i have seen the 3 teams at the bottom are the worst teams in Div 1 and there's nothing between Monaghan and Armagh so whoever has the goolies for it next week will stay up.

I know i'm a bit old school here but can someone please tell me why all forwards are afraid to shoot from 30-45m out, this is from all the games in general. Are forwards told not to shoot unless it's in front of the posts...is this a % thing?. you see guys in what i think is a scoreable position but they won't shoot and recycle the ball across and back and across and back and across and back before someone gets dispossed and the counter attack starts...WTF. You're a County footballer, get within 30-45m and pop the the ball over the bar. Even at club level I played with guys who didn't think twice about shooting from those ranges and hardly ever missed...Maybe the footballer is being replaced with an athlete now and fitness/strength is preferred to a proper footballer...

Rant over...
Yeah I think I'd rather just go for it at this stage. Maybe not totally gung ho, but if we'd a full team, Morgan, Burn, Forker, McCambridge and Ciaran Mackin are all good enough defenders that'd trust a little bit more than what we're currently doing. We've one of the most talented players in Ireland in Rian O'Neill but are getting very little out of him at the minute.

naka

Rant over...
Thought this years football from Armagh has been awful, a sea change from previous years .
As you said it's not enjoyable to watch.

ballinaman

Hope it's Galway in the final , great record against them in Croke Park  8)

marty34

Quote from: Armagh18 on March 20, 2023, 04:19:07 AM

Rant over...
Yeah I think I'd rather just go for it at this stage. Maybe not totally gung ho, but if we'd a full team, Morgan, Burn, Forker, McCambridge and Ciaran Mackin are all good enough defenders that'd trust a little bit more than what we're currently doing. We've one of the most talented players in Ireland in Rian O'Neill but are getting very little out of him at the minute.

Sean Cavanagh was talking about this on the tv last night.

Said the same thing, that Armagh have loads of attacking talent but play too defensive.