Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Christ, you must be some craic in the bar!!

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

NatSoSaff

I fail to see any delusion in his assessment. Either you are just on here for the constant wind up and pop or you genuinely believe there is a crisis. If it's the latter then at least make some points

Sportacus

I think that's a totally reasonable assessment from BS. Certainly couldn't justify it being "delusional".

imtommygunn

There are a few here seem to be really against Andy McEntee. What's the deal here? If you are what were your expectations this year?

NatSoSaff

Look, at the risk of an " if your aunty had balls...." backlash, it's like this....

Westmeath was a complete freak performance and result. Surely even the most negative posters on here can see that now upon reflection. Our scoring return was decent, our defence, putting aside the Westmeath match, wasn't the worst. We should have beaten Down, Offaly and a quite impressive Fermanagh team that went on to top the division. And we did beat the best team in the division in Cavan. Ok, it wasn't make or break for them, but to put that performance in and get that result considering how low they all must have been after the mauling in Mullingar was impressive.

If you cant see any of that then you're beyond help here.

It was never going to be a year for making a big impression was it? Survival and a good showing into a few rounds of the Tailteann cup would have been taken by most would it not?

Being somewhat competitive against Armagh would be a bonus.

Lets just see how things go shall we.  ::)

bannside

Indeed Natso, Offaly was another that got away. We were 8 down at HT and created three gilt edged goalscoring chances after that, but none found the net. Though some good football was played.

The highlight was taking on Down toe to toe in Pairc Esler. Saturday night under lights and we were superb at times. If nothing else we earned some respect from hardened Down supporters who knew they dodged a bullet that night with the way we went at them. That, and we really should have put more on Tipperary, we were excellent that night too, although Tipp football not in a good place atm.

paddyjohn

Quote from: NatSoSaff on March 27, 2023, 05:23:38 PM
Look, at the risk of an " if your aunty had balls...." backlash, it's like this....

Westmeath was a complete freak performance and result. Surely even the most negative posters on here can see that now upon reflection. Our scoring return was decent, our defence, putting aside the Westmeath match, wasn't the worst. We should have beaten Down, Offaly and a quite impressive Fermanagh team that went on to top the division. And we did beat the best team in the division in Cavan. Ok, it wasn't make or break for them, but to put that performance in and get that result considering how low they all must have been after the mauling in Mullingar was impressive.

If you cant see any of that then you're beyond help here.

It was never going to be a year for making a big impression was it? Survival and a good showing into a few rounds of the Tailteann cup would have been taken by most would it not?

Being somewhat competitive against Armagh would be a bonus.

Lets just see how things go shall we.  ::)

That's far too sensible of a post for this board.

Depends what agenda you are pushing and how much self promotion on certain platforms you want as to how you view Andy McEntee.

Kidder81

Quote from: bannside on March 27, 2023, 07:10:15 PM
Indeed Natso, Offaly was another that got away. We were 8 down at HT and created three gilt edged goalscoring chances after that, but none found the net. Though some good football was played.

The highlight was taking on Down toe to toe in Pairc Esler. Saturday night under lights and we were superb at times. If nothing else we earned some respect from hardened Down supporters who knew they dodged a bullet that night with the way we went at them. That, and we really should have put more on Tipperary, we were excellent that night too, although Tipp football not in a good place atm.

It was Down, a team that will again be in Div 3 next year. This wasn't Down of 1991

EOC1923

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 27, 2023, 04:49:42 PM
There are a few here seem to be really against Andy McEntee. What's the deal here? If you are what were your expectations this year?
I like McEntee being our manager and expect more progress next season, just pointed out imo it was a poor enough league campaign when you look at the final table. We avoided relegation (not by much). I was at the Offaly and Cavan games but at none of the rest. Its all opinions and that's mine.

JimStynes

Quote from: EOC1923 on March 28, 2023, 09:49:08 AM
I like McEntee being our manager and expect more progress next season, just pointed out imo it was a poor enough league campaign when you look at the final table. We avoided relegation (not by much). I was at the Offaly and Cavan games but at none of the rest. Its all opinions and that's mine.

I thought staying in the divison at the start of the year was a main goal. Did people really expect Antrim to do any better than they did? A lot of inexperienced players are playing this year too.

Kidder81

Quote from: JimStynes on March 28, 2023, 09:53:37 AM
Quote from: EOC1923 on March 28, 2023, 09:49:08 AM

I thought staying in the divison at the start of the year was a main goal. Did people really expect Antrim to do any better than they did? A lot of inexperienced players are playing this year too.

It's Div 3, I don't think it would take a big pile to get out of it. Fermanagh got promoted, would anyone say they are light years ahead of us ?

Kidder81

Are we going to be saying the goal is to stay in Div 3 next year too? And the year after that ?

imtommygunn

On that day no but they beat westmeath and look what they did to us  :o

I don't think it's unfair to think the league campaign was just ok - it's just there did seem to be some opinions which were vehemently against him which did seem a bit harsh...

The Tailteann cup will be the big test. With the armagh game who knows what is success there. If we win it certainly would be success obviously but that is a massive ask as there is a big difference between the two teams.

EOC1923

With Fermanagh and Cavan going up are they not in the Tailteann Cup now ? We would appear to have as good a chance as any in that competition.

Saffsof82

Quote from: EOC1923 on March 28, 2023, 10:40:54 AM
With Fermanagh and Cavan going up are they not in the Tailteann Cup now ? We would appear to have as good a chance as any in that competition.

Was wondering that too EOC. Think Clare and Limerick having been regelated are now in Tailteann cup