Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belfast GAA man

When I played mcclory was popular enough . Don't hear anyone speaking of popular refs these days

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Belfast GAA man on March 24, 2023, 08:36:31 PM
When I played mcclory was popular enough . Don't hear anyone speaking of popular refs these days

So you did have a popular ref?

I'm managed senior and there was plenty ref's that I'd prefer and there are some I like when watching my club. But you've got to worry about your teams performance first before using ref's as a scapegoat
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

I think it would be better if refs were ALLOWED to ref the games themselves. Every game I'm at now, juvenile or adult,  everyone wants to ref it. Players  coaches, fans, it's relentless
Toooooo long, after about 2 steps seems to be the popular one
Tell me this, can a ref tell a player to shut the f**k up move on
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on March 25, 2023, 08:20:53 AM
I think it would be better if refs were ALLOWED to ref the games themselves. Every game I'm at now, juvenile or adult,  everyone wants to ref it. Players  coaches, fans, it's relentless

Yes, but then he's being disrespectful. Every tackle is not a foul is what I usually say, hand on the back is also not a foul (a push is)  ;). Not tackling the ball is a foul too, so the slaps open or closed (closed fist is a card if not connecting with ball)

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

realisticsaff

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 18, 2023, 03:01:28 PM
Some boys will be really quiet if Antrim win this

Some boys really quiet today 👍

realisticsaff

Quote from: marty34 on March 18, 2023, 05:10:41 PM
Would the real Antrim stand up?

They did today down at Longford

realisticsaff

EOC1923

We stayed up which is an obvious positive, but all things considered a poor league campaign came to an end today and how anyone can argue any different I don't know.
Enviously looking at Fermanagh and Louths recent progress, maybe our turn next season? 

marty34

Quote from: EOC1923 on March 26, 2023, 05:47:54 PM
We stayed up which is an obvious positive, but all things considered a poor league campaign came to an end today and how anyone can argue any different I don't know.
Enviously looking at Fermanagh and Louths recent progress, maybe our turn next season?

Poor league campaign by Antrim.

Any different from last year's league?

ck

Quote from: marty34 on March 26, 2023, 11:37:25 PM
Quote from: EOC1923 on March 26, 2023, 05:47:54 PM

Poor league campaign by Antrim.

Any different from last year's league?

I think last years league campaign was much more consistent, it is very hard to know where Antrim are this year. It has been the good, the bad and the ugly.

JimStynes

I think it's been a better league that last year considering the manager had a lot less of the top players in the county to pick from. One really bad game but Antrim have been very competitive for the most part.

InnocentByStander

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2023, 08:34:29 AM

Yes, but then he's being disrespectful. Every tackle is not a foul is what I usually say, hand on the back is also not a foul (a push is)  ;). Not tackling the ball is a foul too, so the slaps open or closed (closed fist is a card if not connecting with ball)

A genuine question, like teams watch back and review their performance, would you ever request the footage and review yourself or know nay other refs that would?

Do you ever leave a game thinking you got a decision wrong?

Milltown Row2

Quote from: InnocentByStander on March 27, 2023, 09:40:12 AM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 25, 2023, 08:34:29 AM

A genuine question, like teams watch back and review their performance, would you ever request the footage and review yourself or know nay other refs that would?

Do you ever leave a game thinking you got a decision wrong?

All the time, would always question my 'game' could I have done better? could I have been better placed? The game, be it hurling or football is fast paced, I'd like to think I'm fitter than most but reality is I'm 51, no spring chicken so you can't always be on top of play the whole game, I'd cover generally over 4 miles a game.

As for review games I've watched plenty of games that have been recorded, the main problem is the camera is placed where it is and I'm not at that angle and don't have slow mo to help make the right call, the calls are immediate and that is how refereeing is done, championship you can be mic'd up and get help from other officials but on a wet Wed night in March you are on your own, and like it or lump it we have to make the calls as wee see it at that moment.

We don't have hoards of new applicants every year and using more and more ref's from other counties so its becoming a crisis at the minute, I don't know if its the same in every county but we do have in football and hurling 6 or 7 intercounty referee's, which is a sizeable amount

bannside

The league threw up a real mixed bag to be fair.  From terrific in Thurles to muck in Mullingar, and everything in between. Hard to believe we were circa 9 points up against the three top teams Cavan Fermanagh and Down. To do that we are doing something very well. The downside of that is we lost two of those games by the narrowest of margins.

Andy was badly hit by unavailability and injuries, in light if that I disagree with you EOC and suggest it was a fair/good league campaign. I'd be more confident about collecting 6 or 8 points next year when a more settled squad emerges from the transition.

Not too worried about the championship against Armagh, we won't win Ulster, just go out and have a good lash before knuckling down for a decent run in the Tailteean.

realisticsaff

Quote from: bannside on March 27, 2023, 10:31:34 AM
The league threw up a real mixed bag to be fair.  From terrific in Thurles to muck in Mullingar, and everything in between. Hard to believe we were circa 9 points up against the three top teams Cavan Fermanagh and Down. To do that we are doing something very well. The downside of that is we lost two of those games by the narrowest of margins.

Andy was badly hit by unavailability and injuries, in light if that I disagree with you EOC and suggest it was a fair/good league campaign. I'd be more confident about collecting 6 or 8 points next year when a more settled squad emerges from the transition.

Not too worried about the championship against Armagh, we won't win Ulster, just go out and have a good lash before knuckling down for a decent run in the Tailteean.

Delusional but I'd expect nothing less from FD