Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportacus

Very poor of the GAA to foist the underage decision back onto counties/clubs at this late stage.  They're not having a good run in terms of good governance. U18 feels like the right decision, but the timing is a balls for quite a few I'm sure.

north aontroim gael

Under 18 is definitely the best decision, it should just have been made months ago.

Does anyone know when we will know?

angermanagement

County committee meeting on Monday night.

Lár na páirce 1

It should stay u17 for this year IMO clubs have prepared for it that way it would be a major turnaround for clubs now to vote for it to be U18 again after the last vote was overwhelmingly a vote for U17 a couple months ago.

stiffler

Any idea how clubs will vote on Monday regarding the age groups ? I'm hearing mixed reports. Moving the age grade to 18s is the sensible choice and before the start of the next season is the sensible time considering this year is already up and running.
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

Saffsof82

Has to stay u17 for this year, can go to u18 next year. Some players have already received sanctions based on u17 and a few transfers gone through apparently as well as lads left u17 last year. Only sensible thing to do is stick with u17 this year and return to u18 next season.

NAG1

Genuinely cant believe this is even a debate at this stage.

Clarity was given that we would return to the original status 2024, why not just keep to that and make the best of this year. Plan for the following year and be ready to go.

Causing trouble and chaos over nothing.

JimStynes

Quote from: NAG1 on February 02, 2023, 01:16:21 PM

Clarity was given that we would return to the original status 2024, why not just keep to that and make the best of this year. Plan for the following year and be ready to go.

Seems like the clubs are going to vote it to change this year though

Lár na páirce 1

Quote from: JimStynes on February 02, 2023, 01:22:50 PM

madness. All clubs should stick together on this one. With the amount of clubs who need the 18 year olds to field teams

barnish oggie

My opinion is, rightly or wrongly, they should just change the one age group, u17 to u18 and leave the others as is.

Then make it so only final year u18s can play senior and u15s can't play up to u18.

That would make it a simple change for this year.

Ideally I would go half ages, from next year, then to tie in with class age groups, so u11 1/2, u13 1/2, u15 1/2 and then u18 1/2 still with the 18 year olds allowed to play senior.

That would combat the drop off at that age group as really al those still of school age would still be able to play together with the strongest able to also play senior.

I am sure someone will see the error in this and happy to hear it as I can't think of the negatives myself!

Sportacus

How do you know?

EOC1923

Quote from: Sportacus on February 02, 2023, 03:57:52 PM

How do you know?
I'm getting mixed vibes about it. Bigger clubs with plenty of players will vote to change it now as it doesn't affect them, if anything they'll gladly take the 18 year olds out of their adult squads to lessen the numbers of players needing game time. Other clubs with smaller numbers will want to wait until early 2024 when it is changing for good, as they need these 18 year olds to make up their teams. I read an article a few weeks ago saying decoupling of 18 year olds wont be in place next year as long as the 18 year olds don't play adult football before March of that season. All adds to the confusion.

Milltown Row2

Clubs will always look after themselves first..

It's only natural. If you have a potentially great under 17 you'll vote for that, if potentially your under 18 squad has the makings of a championship team you'll opt for that.

I never agreed with the change in the first place, seen absolutely no merit in it personally speaking
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 02, 2023, 07:40:48 PM

It's only natural. If you have a potentially great under 17 you'll vote for that, if potentially your under 18 squad has the makings of a championship team you'll opt for that.

I never agreed with the change in the first place, seen absolutely no merit in it personally speaking

Have to agree on that first line

But this shouldn't be an issue on the first week of February
Same as how it took 10 days for a decision on on the AI Club final

I know you're a big supporter MR2 that no point hiding behind a keyboard, get out and volunteer, but you would really love to know what goes on the minds of the people in authority
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 02, 2023, 08:08:07 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 02, 2023, 07:40:48 PM

Have to agree on that first line

But this shouldn't be an issue on the first week of February
Same as how it took 10 days for a decision on on the AI Club final

I know you're a bit supporter MR2 that no point hiding behind a keyboard, get out and volunteer, but you would really love to know what goes on the minds of the people in authority

I've served my time at all ages and have had many, many a spat with authority's over rulings which I felt at the time went against me as manager of various teams. And not just me but other clubs too. But the reality the county ( in this case) hands tied.

Would certainly put me off going back to managing again.

Preparation is hampered, I know Jim is looking after minors so his frustration must be through the roof!!

Croke haven't covered themselves in glory recently that's for sure.

As for the club final two balls ups have given us the problem. It must be a procedure thing with regards of a club having to put in an appeal, I wouldn't know the ins and outs of that side of things tbf
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea