Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthAntrim

Has the damage been done in the previous 4 or 5 years before Gleeson. Not developing a lower league forward to county level. A James O'Connell, Sean Duffin to give two examples. Im sure there are a good few others too. There are a few young lads showing promise (scullion-glenarm) but will they be ready for it by the time Glesson / McManus / Campbell step away. Possibly not

Whats the time scale on McCann and Clarke

keep her low this half

Quote from: NorthAntrim on March 14, 2023, 11:59:34 AM
Has the damage been done in the previous 4 or 5 years before Gleeson. Not developing a lower league forward to county level. A James O'Connell, Sean Duffin to give two examples. Im sure there are a good few others too. There are a few young lads showing promise (scullion-glenarm) but will they be ready for it by the time Glesson / McManus / Campbell step away. Possibly not

Whats the time scale on McCann and Clarke

Clarke did his cruciate which is normally 12 months, I wouldn't be expecting him back in time for the Leinster championship. McCann I don't know anything about.

Upandover

Thank god we didnt need anything today, tipp sauntered to victory.

Antrim defo missed neil in forward line.

Tony Baloney

I heard a female photographer was the highlight of the day.

Saffrongael

Another example that the top teams do the basics better than anyone else under pressure, dipping, hooking, blocking. Unfortunately we are light years behind the very top teams
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

paddyjohn

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2023, 06:38:58 PM

Dylan or Curly?

marty34

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 19, 2023, 07:05:31 PM
Another example that the top teams do the basics better than anyone else under pressure, dipping, hooking, blocking. Unfortunately we are light years behind the very top teams

Correct. They do it under pressure.  Second nature to them.

But Antrim should be at that level now with playing against the top teams in last few years.
Game was over after 20 mins.  Tipp were like, let's put this game to bed early doors and don't give Antrim a sniff.

Tipp are in a semi-final now and lads have got plenty of game time.  SC injured, no Forde, Mc Grath, Seamie Kennedy or Kehoe etc. today. O' Connor is a decent free-taker. One for the future.

Antrim's goals in second half boosted the score board in 2nd half.

imtommygunn

It takes more than a year or two in the same league. Tipp are miles above most tbf but it's a level above what we are at. I still think Gleeson is doing a great job regardless.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 19, 2023, 08:06:11 PM
It takes more than a year or two in the same league. Tipp are miles above most tbf but it's a level above what we are at. I still think Gleeson is doing a great job regardless.

I don't think it's just a matter of years in the same division, we have to be producing the players too. Look at Wexford, how many years are they in Div 1? Probably going backwards. Next year is four consecutive years in Div 1 I think.
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

imtommygunn

Yeah it goes from underage right up. I still think we are punching above our weight.

Saffrongael

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 19, 2023, 09:06:36 PM
Yeah it goes from underage right up. I still think we are punching above our weight.

I'm not sure we are, I think where we are is probably about right.

Look at the teams immediately below or around us, Laois, Westmeath, Kildare, Kerry, Offaly. We should be ahead of them all really when you look at resources, populations etc

marty34

Quote from: Saffrongael on March 19, 2023, 09:13:00 PM

Look at the teams immediately below or around us, Laois, Westmeath, Kildare, Kerry, Offaly. We should be ahead of them all really when you look at resources, populations etc

I think Antrim could beat Westmeath also so I think they're well settled in Div. 1 now. That 3 or 4 good years of S&C, so they should be getting up to speed with things now.

Need to be producing another player or two over the next year or two.  I presume Mc Manus has another year in him. He's been some servant to Antrim through the years. Sets high standards.

What would the age profile of the first 15 be, currently?

Tony Baloney

Groundhog Day in here. Run a big team close, think we're on the up, get tanked and ask where we go next. We've been knocking about that Laois, Westmeath level for years because that's our natural level. Giving Kilkenny or somebody a rattle every few years doesn't mean were ready to dine at the top table and we may never.

Milltown Row2

We've 3 or 4 decent consistent senior teams, we've 3 teams in our senior leagues which play for another county. Our resources not great and population wise it's a split county and one with a city with multiple sports being played.

Think we are doing well and need to back up what we have achieved with bringing lads through
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

marty34

Quote from: Tony Baloney on March 19, 2023, 06:38:58 PM

Tell us more!