Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Quote from: NAG1 on September 30, 2013, 02:16:42 PM
Quote from: BlackandAmber on September 30, 2013, 01:45:36 PM
St Galls by 24pts
Cloughmills by 15pts
Ballycastle by 13pts
Cushendall by 11pts

maybe some chance that Dunloy might have fared better given the rivalry but I doubt it.

Loughgiel put the rest in their place and did it pretty easy too.  Congratulations to them.

Is there any club that can look at them selves and say next year or the one after we'll compete with them? Again I doubt it.
They've shown that they are a long way ahead of the rest of Antrim. It would take a big improvement or a Loughgeil collapse fo anybody else to win.

What odds 6 in a row?

Its a strange one B&A, Dunloy could and should have beaten LG in the final last year and didnt and LG bounce back this year to win it even more comfortably. If they had lost that one who knows what would have happened this year.

Fact is they won it and won this year at a canter.

All the chat around Ballycastle and St Johns are they any closer to competing than they were this time last year?
Will they be any better next year?

No because both teams were rightly hammered by the finalist this year who in turn were hammered by Loughgiel.

The fitness of Loughgiel I would put on a par with our footballers of a few years ago, a team needs to be at that level first to compete

The stick work is the same as Dunloy, Cushendall and to a lesser extent Ballycastle and the Johnnies, the better the stick work the less turn overs (which happened a lot yesterday)

The fielding of high ball, Loughgiel have at least 10 lads that were able to field a high ball or low ball under pressure, clean catch and primary possession was giving them the breaks, they also won a lot of dirty/break ball, this isn't by chance

Vision of the passing and spacial awareness was very good, at times yesterday Cushendall (and all the teams they played) were chasing shadows

Disciplined, Loughgiel got one yellow card and that was when there was a chance Cushendall had at running at Loughgiel 25 yards out, house down and all that.

Combine that with good numbers at training and the squad buying into what the manager/coach wants then you have a winning combination

Loughgiel played like a team the other teams played like individuals.

If you want to beat Loughgiel that's the blueprint above, if not don't bother
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Sleeping giant

1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

BlackandAmber

Quote from: Sleeping giant on September 30, 2013, 03:45:11 PM
Listen to Cody.   ;D

Cody and Kilkenny looked to have the blueprint too but Jimmy Barry Murphy and Davy Fitz produced other blueprints. Always more than 1 way. But Lougheil are the best by far at the minute with the basics that MR says and then the way they play and nobody else seems to have abetter plan. Look at the team and you can't see a weak position. All the rest you could pick 2 or 3 or more weak places.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: BlackandAmber on September 30, 2013, 04:02:07 PM
Quote from: Sleeping giant on September 30, 2013, 03:45:11 PM
Listen to Cody.   ;D

Cody and Kilkenny looked to have the blueprint too but Jimmy Barry Murphy and Davy Fitz produced other blueprints. Always more than 1 way. But Lougheil are the best by far at the minute with the basics that MR says and then the way they play and nobody else seems to have abetter plan. Look at the team and you can't see a weak position. All the rest you could pick 2 or 3 or more weak places.

I forgot to say that it's easy to see why they are winning, you don't need to be Cody to see that  ;) but without the players willing to commit then its pointless. Fitz was on saying that he doesn't complicate things, the better team always win. Get them to a level and they will compete
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

north aontroim gael

Some performance from the team on Saturday.  Couldn't of been prouder watching them show how good they are.

Outstanding performances all over the park, hard to single anyone out for special praise.  Was there a man of the match award on the day?  If so, does anyone know who received it?

Which province are the Ulster champions paired with for the AI semi-finals?

north aontroim gael

Quote from: pdiddy on September 29, 2013, 12:49:08 PM
Blowing a gale here in Loughgiel.  Probably be just as bad if not worse in Ballycastle. Hopefully it won't spoil the game.

My prediction 3-15 to 1-16 for 4 in a row  :)

Great shout.....should never have doubted.

btdtgtt

Quote from: north aontroim gael on October 01, 2013, 10:14:04 AM
Some performance from the team on Saturday.  Couldn't of been prouder watching them show how good they are.

Outstanding performances all over the park, hard to single anyone out for special praise.  Was there a man of the match award on the day?  If so, does anyone know who received it?

Which province are the Ulster champions paired with for the AI semi-finals?

I think it's Leinster so would expect ballyhale or ballyboden.
Oulart always seem to fall on their own sword not sure if Kilcormac will get that far again.
Ballyhale in Parnell or ballyboden in clones/newry.

pdiddy

When a team loses, there's always a row at half time, but when they win, its an inspirational speech

btdtgtt

Just reading Kevin Ryan's comments on the national hurling league re-structure.

Firstly - he is right that it has been done to suit the "bigger counties".
Top teams go up - bottoms teams go down.
Sometimes!

But for me the reality is somewhat different.

The new div1 is a natural top tier - no argument.

Our league consists of teams at roughly our level and will provide competitive games in every round with teams beating each other - that's the hallmark of a good league.
Simply out its a league which represents our level fairly.

Ryan says that not facing the likes of cork will harm Antrim hurling.
Personally I don't think we have any business facing cork at the minute. I don't know why this fascination exists with playing the best teams when we're not at their level at this time.
We probably won't be promoted from our existing league (hopefully will) so let's walk before we can run. And if we are able to face the division1 teams then we will win division2 and earn the right to play them in the semis.

All in all I think the re-structure is sensible and mirrors the natural tiers that exist in inter-county hurling.

And on a side note - Ryan and our county board need to realise that it's not everyone else's job to introduce structures to suit Antrim!
Others will look after themselves and we need to paddle our own canoe!

Na Glinntí Glasa

lets be honest, how many of us thought that the min you heard cork were relegated that the powers that wouldnt change the leagues to make sure cork stayed in Div1?

i knew it would change and so did everyone else.
hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

Quote from: btdtgtt on October 02, 2013, 10:16:38 PM

Sometimes!

Our league consists of teams at roughly our level and will provide competitive games in every round with teams beating each other - that's the hallmark of a good league.

Personally I don't think we have any business facing cork at the minute. I don't know why this fascination exists with playing the best teams when we're not at their level at this time.
We probably won't be promoted from our existing league (hopefully will) so let's walk before we can run. And if we are able to face the division1 teams then we will win division2 and earn the right to play them in the semis.

All in all I think the re-structure is sensible and mirrors the natural tiers that exist in inter-county hurling.

And on a side note - Ryan and our county board need to realise that it's not everyone else's job to introduce structures to suit Antrim!

What triggers these changes?

No one believes they're done to be detrimental to antrim but there are two things here:
1) yes that is the top teams but the smaller set of teams means in 1 means a higher standard in 2 and it means better fighting for relegation in 1. Better standard in 2 equals = better for teams at levels like antrim (and various other teams) - i.e. developing teams.
2) every time something happens cork there seem to be people in the top brass of the gaa to assist them.

There is no consideration for developing teams(not just antrim) and it stinks a bit.

The county board are a bti embarassing at this stage. They can't even look after their own house never mind complaining about others but Ryan isn't too far wrong.(again)

johnneycool

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 03, 2013, 01:25:44 PM

Sometimes!

No one believes they're done to be detrimental to antrim but there are two things here:
1) yes that is the top teams but the smaller set of teams means in 1 means a higher standard in 2 and it means better fighting for relegation in 1. Better standard in 2 equals = better for teams at levels like antrim (and various other teams) - i.e. developing teams.
2) every time something happens cork there seem to be people in the top brass of the gaa to assist them.

There is no consideration for developing teams(not just antrim) and it stinks a bit.

The county board are a bti embarassing at this stage. They can't even look after their own house never mind complaining about others but Ryan isn't too far wrong.(again)

Ryan is entirely right, Antrim would learn a lot more playing against a Cork or Limerick than he will against Carlow or Westmeath. IMO to improve you need to be playing these teams more often and learn from it even if it is a tanking once in a while.

What would an appearance of Cork up in the Glens or wherever Antrim are to play their home fixtures do for the profile of the game and bring the youngsters out to see them?

Croke park can polish this up any way they like, but this is the big hurling counties calling the shots and fúck everyone else.

theskull1

Ryan is spot on, but is it the most important issue that needs addressing to get Antrim up a standard or two? Id say it wasn't. Our inability to have a sustainable development program for our top U16/18/U21 players to get them used and able to compete with the bigger counties is where it all goes pear shaped. Lots of stakeholders needed to make this a success and I'd have reservation of whether we have anywhere close to the right numbers of passionate hurling men to make it work, but at the outset it needs someone with the credentials to create the vision (one which has some meat on the bones) for starters. At the minute we have individual effort just getting a job done with no real long term plan because the proper long term structures and finance commitment isn't there. 
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Tony Baloney

Quote from: johnneycool on October 03, 2013, 01:31:01 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on October 03, 2013, 01:25:44 PM

Sometimes!

Ryan is entirely right, Antrim would learn a lot more playing against a Cork or Limerick than he will against Carlow or Westmeath. IMO to improve you need to be playing these teams more often and learn from it even if it is a tanking once in a while.

What would an appearance of Cork up in the Glens or wherever Antrim are to play their home fixtures do for the profile of the game and bring the youngsters out to see them?

Croke park can polish this up any way they like, but this is the big hurling counties calling the shots and fúck everyone else.
Championship structures mean they have a chance at the best of Leinster so they aren't entirely *reduced* to playing teams in and around their own level all year. I honestly think it is getting to a stage where it is a no win situation whatever way the structures are sliced up. There have been many, many proposals for varying structures made on this board and whilst your argument is valid, throwing them into the lions den will inevitably result in "we are learning nothing from taking tankings" type arguments after a few heavy beatings. Answers on a postcard!

btdtgtt

Ryan is entirely right, Antrim would learn a lot more playing against a Cork or Limerick

Its not the job or desire of cork & Limerick to improve Antrim - they want to play against each other for their own benefit. Antrim need to get ourselves up to standard.

than he will against Carlow or Westmeath.

We are not impressive enough against these teams to be able to say that. Thats the reality.

IMO to improve you need to be playing these teams more often and learn from it even if it is a tanking once in a while.

Again this is all true (except for learning from tankings) but again there seems to be some notion of what would improve Antrim being the most important thing! In the bigger picture we are not the priority so stop expecting these top teams to be nice guys and come the length of Ireland to play us just to be nice guys - they can play better teams next door with bigger crowds.

Such is life. Altho I would say it f**k everyone else - Antrim are still in a competitive league which they wont be favourites to win. No complaints.
If we want to play the big boys - then get promoted.

Otherwise - can we restructure the Antrim leagues so that St Theresa's can play Loughgiel?
After all thats what will improve them?!