Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saffrongael

Antrim game on TG4 on Sunday
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

delgany

Quote from: keep her low this half on February 09, 2023, 03:44:55 PM
Quote from: Old Time Hurler on February 09, 2023, 06:46:50 AM
Is there anywhere you can get to see completed Transfers for from and to Antrim clubs? Just looking to see the movers and shakers!!
What did you hear! Spread the gossip :)
Your club sec will have a list of internal transfers some NA clubs picking up 6 to 8 transfers in

paddyjohn

Some movement from the 7 towers towards the Bellaghy Road I hear.

barnish oggie

Quote from: paddyjohn on February 10, 2023, 08:30:10 PM
Some movement from the 7 towers towards the Bellaghy Road I hear.

Everyone here is so cryptic!! 😄

imtommygunn

Few changes for Dublin with duffin and Elliot on from Dunloy and a bit of rejigging in the forwards. Dublin always seem to have our number but you never know. Strong team out I think. Good to see Nigel Elliot in the squad and I think mcmanus better in half forwards than full forward.

barnish oggie

Quote from: 1884 on February 10, 2023, 09:17:38 PM
Presume it's young McGarry to Dunloy. Heard that rumour and think it's disgraceful.

Jesus that was an obvious one!

Was thinking Bellaghy club not Road!

I was talking to that young fella only recently in at St Louis and he was saying that while Ballymena weren't the strongest, they still held their own in Div 1 at his age group and they hoped to build.

Can't blame him as a person though as the lure to make that step must be tempting, as no harm to Ballymena, they'll never be up at that level.

Although from a gaa view point, I agree, it doesn't sit right.

There's been better players than he will ever be stayed loyal to their club.

Cloot for example (I know he played for Loughguile too but you couldnt argue with the reason)

Milltown Row2

Antrim at home would struggle with Dublin, physically they have dominated us, and they played well last week in Waterford albeit Waterford lost two players late on but that's a result they wouldn't have factored in at start of season..

The handicap is +6 which is tricky,  if I was betting I'm looking at a 8 point loss unfortunately

Hopefully proven wrong though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

Quote from: barnish oggie on February 10, 2023, 09:46:04 PM
Quote from: 1884 on February 10, 2023, 09:17:38 PM
Presume it's young McGarry to Dunloy. Heard that rumour and think it's disgraceful.

Jesus that was an obvious one!

Was thinking Bellaghy club not Road!

I was talking to that young fella only recently in at St Louis and he was saying that while Ballymena weren't the strongest, they still held their own in Div 1 at his age group and they hoped to build.

Can't blame him as a person though as the lure to make that step must be tempting, as no harm to Ballymena, they'll never be up at that level.

Although from a gaa view point, I agree, it doesn't sit right.

There's been better players than he will ever be stayed loyal to their club.

Cloot for example (I know he played for Loughguile too but you couldnt argue with the reason)

Is he the brother of Ryan McGarry & didn't he also start off with Ballymena ?
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

barnish oggie

I'd be surprised if Ballymena even could field back when Ryan was part of their setup.

As I say, it's understandable, but how are they ever going to improve if every good players leaves.

keep her low this half

Yesterday started poorly but improved a lot in the second half. Glad to see us score a couple of goals and produce at least 3 other good chances. Paddy Burke and McGarry at full back looked good again but we struggled a bit in the half back line and midfield I thought especially with their runners. We also struggled on our own puck outs which is a concern because that's two weeks running. I don't know what the figures are but we look like we are only winning 30-35% of our own puck outs.
Still much brighter again in the second half so our spirit is good and so is our fitness. When we were 8 or 9 points down it would have been easy to roll over and take a pummeling so fair play to the players for digging in.
If we can score 2 or 3 goals against Laois in Corrigan I think we will win, heres hoping.

NAG1

Think this is a case of one that got away.

Anybody count how many shots dropped short or rolled wide?

Still lacking around the middle third IMO.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: NAG1 on February 13, 2023, 01:36:51 PM

5 dropped short and 15 wide's according to stats

Middle third big problem, couldn't win the rucks
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

Milltown Row2

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 13, 2023, 02:22:52 PM

Said on the other thread, we are not as big as Dublin, physically trying to win the ball in the rucks is difficult, even our biggest men are just on a par with theirs and they can match us in a lot of other departments..

I'm glad we managed to stay with them and dig in, mentality wise we have improved and not given up as easily has us lesser teams have done in the past, when letting the big teams tag on 8 or 9 points without reply.

Plenty of areas to improve on too, which is a positive believe it or not, the reality is we have to beat Laois, thats not a given either. maintaining our status in Div 1 and McCarthy cup is prioity, we get nothing out of winning the McDonagh cup..

Sometimes those dropped balls are from not looking up. tiredness. rushed clearances and bad positioning, keeping shape and not getting dragged out of position is important, as a corner back I loved wandering out field generally taking my man with me, at County level they have to stick to the plan.

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

johnnycool

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 13, 2023, 02:32:52 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on February 13, 2023, 02:22:52 PM

Said on the other thread, we are not as big as Dublin, physically trying to win the ball in the rucks is difficult, even our biggest men are just on a par with theirs and they can match us in a lot of other departments..

I'm glad we managed to stay with them and dig in, mentality wise we have improved and not given up as easily has us lesser teams have done in the past, when letting the big teams tag on 8 or 9 points without reply.

Plenty of areas to improve on too, which is a positive believe it or not, the reality is we have to beat Laois, thats not a given either. maintaining our status in Div 1 and McCarthy cup is prioity, we get nothing out of winning the McDonagh cup..

Sometimes those dropped balls are from not looking up. tiredness. rushed clearances and bad positioning, keeping shape and not getting dragged out of position is important, as a corner back I loved wandering out field generally taking my man with me, at County level they have to stick to the plan.

Yeah, pretty noticeable the difference in S&C between the two teams, but Antrim's stickwork for the most part was on a par, with some nice passages of play in the second half.

One other thing is that the high ball in was gobbled up by Dublin so more care needs to go into that ball in. Easier said than done when you need  to be working the ball out in order to get the zippier ball in there rather than the long, high balls but losing out in the physicality stakes in the middle third.

The only place to learn this is in Div1 though so keep at it.