Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Why do people differentiate between sky and setanta? With setanta and league games at present live showings are pay per view? Not sure I understand why people differentiate. Is it the scale? On that point the GAA were selling to a different TV station anyway in TV3. It was beign sold for money - perhaps it's more now but fundamentally same principle.

One thing that always p*ssed me off aboutwas that I could not get TV3. I have always found that very exclusive and never liked it. At least with sky sports there will be the option.

36k swept under the carpet. If all that is read is to be believed and this bill never existed then it is something that stinks and I hope someone answers for it.

Seamroga in exile

I'm glad sky got it. I can't get tv3. I think sky will make it an altogether more professional looking presentation, and spread the word to the great unwashed. After all, that's what we all want. Right?
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on April 02, 2014, 05:34:46 PM
I'm glad sky got it. I can't get tv3. I think sky will make it an altogether more professional looking presentation, and spread the word to the great unwashed. After all, that's what we all want. Right?

There's no problem with the GAA going global. When you  look at your average premiership match and compare that to a good hurling match anyone can see its better. Sky or whoever won't have to try to hard as it's gonna sell itself. It's great for all the x pats to
But to give  them exclusive rights to 14 games that people Ireland have to pay to watch is not on

There will be people that has given a lot there time to there clubs and maybe even played for there county that are being asked to pay now if they want to see these matches

Croke park are getting more removed  from the  volunteers on the ground as time passes

How long can we hold off paying players when even rupert Murdock is profiting from an Amatuer organisation.

There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

imtommygunn

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 02, 2014, 05:55:49 PM

There's no problem with the GAA going global. When you  look at your average premiership match and compare that to a good hurling match anyone can see its better. Sky or whoever won't have to try to hard as it's gonna sell itself. It's great for all the x pats to
But to give  them exclusive rights to 14 games that people Ireland have to pay to watch is not on

There will be people that has given a lot there time to there clubs and maybe even played for there county that are being asked to pay now if they want to see these matches

Croke park are getting more removed  from the  volunteers on the ground as time passes

How long can we hold off paying players when even rupert Murdock is profiting from an Amatuer organisation.

At the minute I'd say a decent percentage of people from NI can't see games on TV3. I always thought that was a disgrace making it so inaccessible. It's not really making it any more inaccessible up here for a lot of people.

The GAA is just run as a business and to be honest couldn't really care less about the ground level. Look at the debacle at casement. Not one care could they give. That doesn't excuse it by the way but none of it surprises you.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 02, 2014, 06:06:26 PM

At the minute I'd say a decent percentage of people from NI can't see games on TV3. I always thought that was a disgrace making it so inaccessible. It's not really making it any more inaccessible up here for a lot of people.

The GAA is just run as a business and to be honest couldn't really care less about the ground level. Look at the debacle at casement. Not one care could they give. That doesn't excuse it by the way but none of it surprises you.

That's fair comment but I see it as something bigger down the road
As someone else said on another thread the powers that be are seeing fit that their members are now the customer
I won't be subscribing to sky on a moral basis
What if Antrim reach a quarter final some time and we have to pay to view

maxpower

Personally I think there are too many games on TV already!!

Sky TV has been great for the premiership but is killing grassroots football in England.  The double bill of GAA every Sunday certainly has an effect on club attendances.  I'm undecided on whether this is a positive or negative development.

I'd be cautiously leaning towards positive with a fear of further hyperbole of inter county games at the expense of club activities
What happens next????

Bonamargy

The club season gets under way this weekend. Here are my predictions for league and championship. What do you think?

Div 1: 1st Loughgiel 2nd Ballycastle
Senior Championship: Loughgiel. Runner up: Clooney Gaels

Div 2: 1st Rossa 2nd Carey
Intermediate Championship: Carey. Runner up: Glenariff

Div 3: 1st Lamh Dhearg 2nd Creggan
Junior Championship: St Theresa's

Div 4: 1st Glenravel

clootfromthe21

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 02, 2014, 06:33:37 PM

As someone else said on another thread the powers that be are seeing fit that their members are now the customer

Would you not be at it?????

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: clootfromthe21 on April 02, 2014, 11:03:41 PM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 02, 2014, 06:33:37 PM

Would you not be at it??

???

Yeah and yourself but my mums in her late 70s she always watches Antrim games when they are on
I wasn't referring to myself. 

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bonamargy on April 02, 2014, 10:31:36 PM
The club season gets under way this weekend. Here are my predictions for league and championship. What do you think?

Div 1: 1st Loughgiel 2nd Ballycastle
Senior Championship: Loughgiel. Runner up: Clooney Gaels

Div 2: 1st Rossa 2nd Carey
Intermediate Championship: Carey. Runner up: Glenariff

Div 3: 1st Lamh Dhearg 2nd Creggan
Junior Championship: St Theresa's

Div 4: 1st Glenravel

That's about right
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

btdtgtt

Quote from: CSC on April 02, 2014, 03:50:50 PM
Ref SKY
Living abroad, we need it. The current systems is terrable. Sanata, pubs have to pay for a subscription, then they, Sanata, charge everybody going into the pub, and you can't watch it at home without using the usual streaming feeds. So you are forced to watch it with your kids in the pub.

My sons team has a number of kids from different ethnic backgrounds. We the parents ask where can they watch a live match, and you respond with in the pub at 9.30 in the morning, it's embarrassing.

Also, RTE needs a kick up the backside. Maybe we'll have a proper product now, with proper analysis and get away from the "my granny can run faster" bs analysis.

Additionally, any additional money that can be fed back to clubs, more the better.

When Croke was being build and they announced the corporate boxes, people were up in arms, has the gaa changed in the meantime...no.

When we opened the doors to rugby, did the gaa change....no

Now that certain matches are being televised live on SKY, will it change the gaa...no

It never has been before so why start now?

btdtgtt

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 02, 2014, 05:15:01 PM
Why do people differentiate between sky and setanta? With setanta and league games at present live showings are pay per view? Not sure I understand why people differentiate. Is it the scale? On that point the GAA were selling to a different TV station anyway in TV3. It was beign sold for money - perhaps it's more now but fundamentally same principle.

One thing that always p*ssed me off aboutwas that I could not get TV3. I have always found that very exclusive and never liked it. At least with sky sports there will be the option.

36k swept under the carpet. If all that is read is to be believed and this bill never existed then it is something that stinks and I hope someone answers for it.

So true.
The real test will be if those responsible are held to account.
Otherwise these sorts of debacles that plague our county will continue.

btdtgtt

The hurling gospel needs spread all around Ireland before we worry about other countries.

btdtgtt

Sorry for the string of replies but I'm abroad (working not with Sky spreading hurling!).

A few comments about Croke park and Corporate GAA being removed -  couldn't agree more.

Lets not forget that alot of people cant even go to matches now due to club commitments - Croke don't care about this! And they don't care who watches them as long as they get sufficient TV money and sell out the semis & finals.

Comparing to other sports is interesting! Grassroots rugby has suffered hugely as a result of the two-tier systems brought in - thats where GAA is heading. Sorry - thats were we are already!

As for hurling predictions;

Div1 Loughgiel
Relegated Sarsfields
Championship Loughgiel

Division2 Glenarriffe
Relegated Bredagh
Intermediate Glenarriffe

Division 3 lamh dearg

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 03, 2014, 11:51:04 AM
Sorry for the string of replies but I'm abroad (working not with Sky spreading hurling!).

A few comments about Croke park and Corporate GAA being removed -  couldn't agree more.

Lets not forget that alot of people cant even go to matches now due to club commitments - Croke don't care about this! And they don't care who watches them as long as they get sufficient TV money and sell out the semis & finals.

Comparing to other sports is interesting! Grassroots rugby has suffered hugely as a result of the two-tier systems brought in - thats where GAA is heading. Sorry - thats were we are already!

As for hurling predictions;

Div1 Loughgiel
Relegated Sarsfields
Championship Loughgiel

Division2 Glenarriffe
Relegated Bredagh
Intermediate Glenarriffe

Division 3 lamh dearg
I'd have to make cushendall early favourites for the championship.  :-X

*takes cover
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"