Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2009

Started by drici, August 18, 2009, 10:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slow corner back

So bogball what do you suggest the st galls player should have done when then loup player tried to do him should he a) lie down and roll around like an inter county player or two we could mention, B) punch the loup player and get himself sent off and suspended for the semi or C) take the challenge like a man and laugh at the opposition player who tried to do him but couldnt?

Atticus_Finch

Pretty impressed by St Gall's today.  Have to admit I was surprised by the winning margin.  Thought that Loup would have made a real fight of it.  St Galls went in at half time with a four point cushion.  Despite the cushion I still considered that the game was far from over.  I felt Loup were still in contention courtesy of a John Brennan half time team talk and a slightly favourable wind in the second half.

But Loup came out and scored a solitary point the whole second half.
I know Loup had a spot of bad luck and were very unlucky not to get a goal but there's no doubt that St Gall's were the hungrier and fitter side.

With players of the calibre of Karl Stewart and Sean Burns coming off the bench it is hard not to admire the strength and depth of St Gall's. 

How many other Antrim club players do you think would get on the St Gall's team ?

I'd have 6 non-St Gall's players on my Antrim club select team:

1. P Graham
2. C Brady
3. A McClean
4. K O'Boyle
5. T Scullion
6. J Crozier
7. S Kelly
8. M McCann (Capt)
9. A Gallagher
10. Kieran McGourty
11. Kevin McGourty
12. T McCann
13. CJ McGourty
14. R Gallagher
15. K Niblock
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

longrunsthefox

Was in Newry... also thought the loup would do better. St Galls were impressive alrite but was very boring afternoon. Heard the St Galls, supporters chanting He-lay! He-aly!! for their number six Anthony Healy...kind of funny. Seen the GPA's apologist Paudraig Duffy there too... was tempted to ask him about commitment of club players in November... didn't bother. That's it... zzz

Gold

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on November 29, 2009, 08:12:31 PM
Pretty impressed by St Gall's today.  Have to admit I was surprised by the winning margin.  Thought that Loup would have made a real fight of it.  St Galls went in at half time with a four point cushion.  Despite the cushion I still considered that the game was far from over.  I felt Loup were still in contention courtesy of a John Brennan half time team talk and a slightly favourable wind in the second half.

I know Loup had a spot of bad luck and were very unlucky not to get a goal but there's no doubt that St Gall's were the hungrier and fitter side.

With players of the calibre of Karl Stewart and Sean Burns coming off the bench it is hard not to admire the strength and depth of St Gall's. 

How many other Antrim club players do you think would get on the St Gall's team ?

1. P Graham
2. C Brady
3. A McClean
4. K O'Boyle
5. T Scullion
6. J Crozier
7. S Kelly
8. M McCann (Capt)
9. A Gallagher
10. Kieran McGourty
11. Kevin McGourty
12. T McCann
13. CJ McGourty
14. R Gallagher
15. K Niblock

No Terry O'Neill, no James Loughrey?
Kevin O'Boyle is too light for top, top level All Ireland winning teams, which is what we should aspire too as there are no footballers out there better than the Galls boys
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Bainisteoir

Quote from: Gold on November 29, 2009, 08:34:22 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on November 29, 2009, 08:12:31 PM

1. P Graham
2. C Brady
3. A McClean
4. K O'Boyle
5. T Scullion
6. J Crozier
7. S Kelly
8. M McCann (Capt)
9. A Gallagher
10. Kieran McGourty
11. Kevin McGourty
12. T McCann
13. CJ McGourty
14. R Gallagher
15. K Niblock

No Terry O'Neill, no James Loughrey?
Kevin O'Boyle is too light for top, top level All Ireland winning teams, which is what we should aspire too as there are no footballers out there better than the Galls boys

No disrespect but don't be getting carried away talking about all irelands etc, Antrim are a long way away from that level. St Galls should be certs for the all Ireland now as long as they don't believe their own hype!! Wasn't at the match but listened to it and martin mchugh was raving about anto healy.. Well done to them!!

glens73

imtommygunn

Agreed with the talk about all irelands. Backing up last years championship run and consolidating - if not gaining promotion - should be our aims.

Loughrey would be in the HB line alright. Scullion was good this year but can be a bit of a headless chicken at times too.

Great win by st galls. Rory Gallagher has added something to the forward line they didn't have before and needed. Corofin looked good too though. Far from a foregone conclusion that they'll win the AI. Having Burns and Karl Stewart on the bench is impressive. Good to see Burke playing well too. If he keeps that up maybe he can replace McKeever next year in midfield for Antrim.

shambo

great game don't know why you found this afternoon boring Fox. St Galls showed a serious level of fitness and ability. i thought after 10 minutes Loups main players were done. while McFlynn tried hard, McBride could not keep up to the pace of midfield and was over run. these guys have given Loup decades of service and owe them nothing.

As for the arrogance. didn't see it out there today, very contolled and got on with the job.

major factor i believe was the hurt of being beaten in 2003. does  not take much to get a team motivated to play an Ulster final but that must have been a major thing.

longrunsthefox

Was very one sided which made it boring. No doubt St Galls were impressive but as a neutral was hoping for some excitement.

shambo

Granted,  but i'd made a day of it, was down for first game, plenty of excitement for it, and was good to see an Antrim team be far superior than the Derry Champions. it just doesn't happen.

minder has already said you cant always bring that form into Feb. past demons will maybe spur these lads on

Mid Down Gael

I thought St Galls where outstanding. They are a brilliant club side. They have class from one to 15 and great subs to call on. The two Kellys, McClean and Brady where impressive at the back and are all very clean accomplished defenders. Gallagher and Burke dominated midfield while CJ, Gallagher and Kevin Niblock lead the Loup defence on a merry dance. But the man for me was Kevin McGourty. He was everywhere and competes for everything and works so hard. I think he is an outstanding footballer and has proved this with St Galls and Queens over the years and for Antrim when he lined out. If this man, CJ and Sean Kelly gave the full committment and went back to the county then Antrim could build severly on what they achieved this year.

I think this would be a formidable saffron side. 1. John Finucine 2. Colin Brady 3. Andrew McClean 4. James Loughery 5. Tony Scullion 6. Justin Crozier 7. Sean Kelly 8. Aodhan Gallagher 9. Sean Burke 10. Kevin Niblock 11. Kevin McGourty 12. Tomas McCann 13. CJ McGourty 14. Michael McCann 15. Paddy Cunningham.

ONeill

Well done St Gall's. A class side - the best Antrim have produced on the provincial stage. 2010 is a biggie now. They need to cement their legacy.

Add to that the hurlers. Some club.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

longrunsthefox

I was chatting to Paddy Cunningham today. Just went up and said, 'hello Paddy I'm the Fox' and stuff. Nice young fellow. what club is he? 

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 29, 2009, 10:27:47 PM
I was chatting to Paddy Cunningham today. Just went up and said, 'hello Paddy I'm the Fox' and stuff. Nice young fellow. what club is he?

Lambh Dearg in Hannahstown.

whiskeysteve

Quote from: longrunsthefox on November 29, 2009, 10:27:47 PM

away on with your fecking ego
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w