The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puckoon

Jim Furyk was disqualified from the Barclays for oversleeping and missing his Tee time at the pro am yesterday.

magpie seanie

Did anyone just see the putt Tiger just missed? A 3 putt from 10 feet after laying up on a 270 yard Par 4. Whoops!

The Real Laoislad

Anyone watching the Golf? Tiger just 3 putted from 10 feet  :o
I can do it from 5 feet  :)

Harrington had a good round today 3 off the lead.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

JimStynes

What channel is the golf on? Any live streams for it?

Anyone ever play at Edenmore golf club? Me and corn02(RIP) are playing there on Wednesday.

David McKeown

Quote from: JimStynes on August 27, 2010, 09:20:20 PM

Anyone ever play at Edenmore golf club? Me and corn02(RIP) are playing there on Wednesday.

My dads a member pretty standard course not overally difficult but a few lengthy holes
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

thewobbler

Edenmore is decent course. The last 4-5 holes is the best stretch. Greens can be a bit tricky, with some flat and some full of undulations. There is big difference between the medal and society tees on holes 2 and 3, but not really after that. Hole 3 in particular goes from being a punt and a chip to being an arced, blind drive with a difficult downhill approach. Hole 12 is a joke, a tiny par 4 with a pea-sized, sloping green. All in all pretty good though.

JimStynes

Quote from: David McKeown on August 27, 2010, 09:40:11 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 27, 2010, 09:20:20 PM

My dads a member pretty standard course not overally difficult but a few lengthy holes

I am a beginner so that will suit me down to the ground.  It's my local course but have never played there as i always thought it was a bit posh for me  :-\

The Real Laoislad

What are you looking for Jim? Beginner,game improvement?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

JimStynes

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 27, 2010, 10:28:58 PM
What are you looking for Jim? Beginner,game improvement?

Both  :P
I dont want one of those beginner sets though. I have used some taylormade and ping clubs before and its amazing the difference in those and the beginner type sets that you see on the market. I am moving to newcastle upon tyne next week so i am waiting until i get over there before i buy a new set. Hopefully American golf can match the prices on that website.

The Real Laoislad

Those Taylormade R7's and Tour Burners are really for the low to mid-handicapper and won't offer the forgiveness you need.
The Mizuno's and the Nike's wouldn't be too bad though and are more for a higher handicapper.
Another set you should check out is the Cobra S2 Max,Golf Digest basically said if you can't hit these clubs then you should give up the game and take up a different hobby!
http://www.onlinegolf.co.uk/mens/golf-clubs/set-of-irons/186scog/7448pog.asp
You'll Never Walk Alone.

JimStynes

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 27, 2010, 10:42:34 PM
Those Taylormade R7's and Tour Burners are really for the low to mid-handicapper and won't offer the forgiveness you need.
The Mizuno's and the Nike's wouldn't be too bad though and are more for a higher handicapper.
Another set you should check out is the Cobra S2 Max,Golf Digest basically said if you can't hit these clubs then you should give up the game and take up a different hobby!

What clubs do you use yourself? I am going to go and get a go at all these clubs in the american golf store over there? Isnt there one in belfast as well?

I also have managed to completely get rid of my hurling grip problem i was telling you about. I can hardly even swing the club hurling style now. I have come on something shocking in the space of a month. Though I have been practising loads and getting out on a course as much as i can. I played the 9 hole course at Down Royal the other night and finished 8+ and was delighted, it's a pretty easy course but brilliant to practise on especially if you are a beginner like me. Addicted to golf  ;D

down6061689194

Any one got some loudmouth trousers that Daly wears?
My club have banned my pair! >:(

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: JimStynes on August 27, 2010, 10:54:44 PM

What clubs do you use yourself? I am going to go and get a go at all these clubs in the american golf store over there? Isnt there one in belfast as well?

I also have managed to completely get rid of my hurling grip problem i was telling you about. I can hardly even swing the club hurling style now. I have come on something shocking in the space of a month. Though I have been practising loads and getting out on a course as much as i can. I played the 9 hole course at Down Royal the other night and finished 8+ and was delighted, it's a pretty easy course but brilliant to practise on especially if you are a beginner like me. Addicted to golf  ;D

Yeah pretty easy get addicted alright  :D +8 is a fine score,what you shoot a 39 or thereabouts?
I have a set of Ping G10's but I am thinking of buying the Cobra S2 or S2 Max.
Also have a Ping G10 driver which I love,and wouldn't swap for anything.
I still have the hurley grip,I wouldn't have the patience to learn to change,did you find it easy enough?
You'll Never Walk Alone.

JimStynes

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 27, 2010, 11:00:47 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on August 27, 2010, 10:54:44 PM

Yeah pretty easy get addicted alright  :D +8 is a fine score,what you shoot a 39 or thereabouts?
I have a set of Ping G10's but I am thinking of buying the Cobra S2 or S2 Max.
Also have a Ping G10 driver which I love,and wouldn't swap for anything.
I still have the hurley grip,I wouldn't have the patience to learn to change,did you find it easy enough?
Yeah found it easy enough. The first week was hard, but went to the driving range like mad and it was no bother then. It would probably be to hard for someone who has been playing a good while to change over grip. I know a fella with a handicap of 4 and he plays with the hurling grip. He actually played at Royal County Down last week in a competition, he said it was unreal.  I still dont use the driver yet, my 3 wood is going well though but have a tendancy to slice to the right.

I think i got 40 on the 9 hole course, but it is a real easy course. I'm going to give the 18 hole at Down Royal a go next week sometime before i head away.