The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: venter on June 05, 2009, 09:36:44 AM
another question:
Could any of you recommend a pro for lessons in galway / south Mayo area?

Thanks, Venter
If your in Galway Venter, probably a good idea to head out to the driving range in Salthill as there are a few guys that advertise and give golf lessons there through out the week.  I have no idea what the current going rate is for an hours lesson but if its any help I paid about €50 two years ago.

venter

thanks Gaillimh... I'll keep them in mind. I was hoping to get a lesson for 4/5 people. Went to the pro in Tuam before for a group lesson but they dont seem to have a pro anymore. Do you know if there is a pro in glenlo Abbey? I hate striking the ball off the matts in the driving ranges. Would prefer to be on a course range

Puckoon

Lowry is 11 over in wales and missing the cut.

heganboy

Quote from: venter on June 05, 2009, 01:38:25 PM
I hate striking the ball off the matts in the driving ranges. Would prefer to be on a course range

thought that too until I used one of these http://www.truestrike.com/
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

venter

i booked a lesson in Athenry. 30 yoyos for half an hour lesson . 120yoyos for a group of 5 lessons. Its not that expensive, but i'll let ye know if its any good.

stephenite

AUD55 for half an hour here in Sydney, was told after the second one that people like me come along once every couple of years (ie) someone that makes the pro think, or someone who has such fcuked up notion of how to swing a golf club it's easier start from scratch ???

They are worth it though - need to practice regularly but at least the ball is going straight now, mostly

Bud Wiser

QuotePlayed down in Abbeyleix over the weekend.
Its a tough course physically with numerous hills to climb so with the sun as it was it made it difficult to play anyway decent,I was shattered by the 14th and the last 4 holes were very high scores 

Keep out of Abbeyleix if you are going to criticise it !!!   I am playing the Heath today, went down on Tuesday and there was a wimmins thing on.  Providing I don't find any kalishnakovs or grenades lin the bunkers left over by the Laois Brigade from the last war and get either arrested or blown up I will play Abbeyleix on Saturday morning.  Big music festival laoislad in Abbeyleix this weekend with bands and barbeques in all the pubs - even allowing lads from Durrow into the town.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

venter

Quote from: stephenite on June 11, 2009, 02:19:45 AM
AUD55 for half an hour here in Sydney, was told after the second one that people like me come along once every couple of years (ie) someone that makes the pro think, or someone who has such fcuked up notion of how to swing a golf club it's easier start from scratch ???

They are worth it though - need to practice regularly but at least the ball is going straight now, mostly

I'm looking forward to the lesson this evening.. I'm slicing the drives badly at the minute. well actually, to say I am slicing it badly is to do a disservice to slicers everywhere. What I'm doing is much worse.

Apparently, slicing is typical for high handicappers such as myself. My swing looks similar to Jim Furyk's but much much more rubbery. In fact, I've been compared to a baby octopus. The pro is going to earn his money tonight.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Bud Wiser on June 11, 2009, 08:01:52 AM
QuotePlayed down in Abbeyleix over the weekend.
Its a tough course physically with numerous hills to climb so with the sun as it was it made it difficult to play anyway decent,I was shattered by the 14th and the last 4 holes were very high scores 

Keep out of Abbeyleix if you are going to criticise it !!!   I am playing the Heath today, went down on Tuesday and there was a wimmins thing on.  Providing I don't find any kalishnakovs or grenades lin the bunkers left over by the Laois Brigade from the last war and get either arrested or blown up I will play Abbeyleix on Saturday morning.  Big music festival laoislad in Abbeyleix this weekend with bands and barbeques in all the pubs - even allowing lads from Durrow into the town.

Ah Abbeyleix course is grand but who in the name of jaysis decided to put two par 5's as the first two holes.. ::)
That 2nd one in particular is a back breaker climbing up that hill,then having to climb even higher to get to the par 3 3rd,Im always shattered by the time I tee of at the 3rd..
My auld lad is a member of Rathdowney Golf course and I play there quite a bit,nice course and a lot flatter than Abbeyleix!

You'll Never Walk Alone.

Bud Wiser

QuoteBig music festival laoislad in Abbeyleix this weekend with bands and barbeques in all the pubs - even allowing lads from Durrow into the town.
www.abbeyfest.com
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

venter

the lesson in athenry was grand. I was set up all wrong for my iron shots. Club face was far to open. I am now hooking my irons believe it or not, but I think I can iron that one out.

As for the driving, well it's been an instant success. I am now hitting a nice long draw. Apparently, your hands should be closing as you are moving though the swing. My hands (and Driver) were wide open at point of impact.

I would say the lesson was well worth it , especially with a summer of golf ahead of me.

nifan

went with the father in law to the driving range on the weekend for a blast - never really had a go before except a few swings at pitch and putt.

Have to say was very satisfying when you start to get a bit of distance on the ball, after missing it entirely at the start.

offtheground

Quote from: venter on June 17, 2009, 11:42:12 AM
the lesson in athenry was grand. I was set up all wrong for my iron shots. Club face was far to open. I am now hooking my irons believe it or not, but I think I can iron that one out.

As for the driving, well it's been an instant success. I am now hitting a nice long draw. Apparently, your hands should be closing as you are moving though the swing. My hands (and Driver) were wide open at point of impact.

I would say the lesson was well worth it , especially with a summer of golf ahead of me.

Venter, can you explain what you mean about your hands closing through your swing? - Do you mean twisting anti-clockwise for a right hander?

gawa316

Quote from: venter on June 17, 2009, 11:42:12 AM

Cheers for that I'll take that into consideration the next time I go out. I have a brutal slice

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: nifan on June 17, 2009, 11:49:01 AM
went with the father in law to the driving range on the weekend for a blast - never really had a go before except a few swings at pitch and putt.

Have to say was very satisfying when you start to get a bit of distance on the ball, after missing it entirely at the start.

Probably the most satisfying yet most frustrating thing you can do is play Golf..
You can play a terrible round of Golf and feel like giving up half way through but if hit a great shot on the 18th you would nearly feel like going and playing another 18  :D
You'll Never Walk Alone.