The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

It's similar to McIlroy's career. Years ago he said he was ambivalent towards the Ryder Cup. Nowadays he is seriously into it and can't deliver any more.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on September 27, 2021, 02:40:09 PM
It's similar to McIlroy's career. Years ago he said he was ambivalent towards the Ryder Cup. Nowadays he is seriously into it and can't deliver any more.

I wasn't into kids when I was young and then I had them, love them to bits.. strange world we live in
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

screenexile

Quote from: Rich Ricci on September 27, 2021, 02:37:21 PM
Quote from: Armamike on September 27, 2021, 01:47:27 PM
Not a golf fan at all or know much about it but what's the crack with McIlroy crying his eyes out?  Nobody likes to get beaten but his emotional reaction seems a little odd and over the top.   Maybe i've missed the significance of the Ryder cup to these players?

I'd say you've answered your own question, I dont really get it myself but it must mean a lot to the players to be selected going by the reactions of Mcillroy, poulter, Westwood etc...Even by the way McGinley commentates about it on sky you can tell he has a great affinity with team Europe.

Plenty of tears out of Lowry as well a lot of them very disappointed with how it went over the weekend.

JPGJOHNNYG

I personally think it is better to get thumped by a much better team than to be really close but lose by a short putt or something like kiawah. Surely that hurts a lot more

Orior

Quote from: Armamike on September 27, 2021, 01:47:27 PM
Not a golf fan at all or know much about it but what's the crack with McIlroy crying his eyes out?  Nobody likes to get beaten but his emotional reaction seems a little odd and over the top.   Maybe i've missed the significance of the Ryder cup to these players?

For me, the Ryder Cup is 100 times more significant than rugby Lions matches.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

andoireabu

Could it be the difference in the fact they are playing for a team and for other people rather than playing to win something for themselves that changes their feelings on it? Golf is an individual game week in week out for them, and if they lose or come close to winning it is an individual achievement, but the Ryder Cup is about doing it for the collective rather than the individual. I understand why the European lads are dying to get another crack at them because I have been on teams and got hammered and you are itching to put it right. Whereas would Hovland (for example) be dying for a rematch against Morikawa if he came 2nd to him in a Major? Or would he just try and win a Major rather than beat a specific opponent? As a spectator, the Solheim and Ryder Cups were great to watch this year.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

OgraAnDun

Some turnaround from McIlroy today, from 9 back to leading in 3 hours.

An Watcher

Plenty of time to chuck it away tomorrow

Boycey

Some 2 ball today

McIlroy -10
Ancer -9

Mikhail Prokhorov

Orior

The women's play-off last night was mildly interesting, under temporary floodlights.

Mikhail Prokhorov

where are all the fan boys tonight  ???

surely their hero can't blow this now  ;)

Orior

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on October 17, 2021, 11:12:03 PM

I'm sure Rory will do just fine

JPGJOHNNYG

Good win and no brain farts at the end

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on October 17, 2021, 11:12:03 PM

You bring him up the most, if you'd stop embarrassing yourself then he'd get less attention
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea