The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

Great performance by Luke.

It goes to prove you dont need to be a big hitter. There's hope for me yet.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

leaveherinsir

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 23, 2011, 11:08:44 PM
What an achievement by Luke Donald topping the earnings lists on both the European and PGA tours. All he needs now is to pick up one of the Big Four and have to say he would thoroughly deserve one
Was reading earlier still 8 tournaments on European Tour left, inc the megamoney finish in Dubail. Donad's wife is expecting a baby in next week or two, so maybe he could be caught yet.
Granted must have been some round by him yesterday tho. Aesthetically the best golf swing on tour right now.

Puckoon

Quote from: JimStynes on October 23, 2011, 10:55:06 PM
Anyone play with the Titleist AP2 710s? How much would you expect to pay for a 2nd hand set that are in good condition? The club pro has just got a new set of irons today and he is selling his old irons. He gave them to me for the week so I could try them out on the range and for a round next week. I am currently playing off about 18 and worried that they are maybe going to be too hard to hit. A couple of my mates (single digit handicappers) use them and love them. They look and feel like lovely Irons, just seems like too good an opportunity to turn these irons down.

Played in the club pro shop sweep today. Had another decent enough round considering the conditions. It pissed down from the 3rd hole onwards. The greens were starting to become unplayable and we were struggling to keep hold of our clubs but we pushed on through as 2 of us were going quite well. I finished with 40 points, could be good enough to win something but the fellas who went out in the morning had much easier conditions to play in so they may well have scored better. Wont know until tomorrow. My slice started creeping back in throughout the round as well  >:( heading to the range tomorrow night to sort it out.

I would have to guess that the club pro has had these clubs specified to him and his game. Sometimes there isnt much difference - but unless you are both of similar height, and swing speeds - you might be picking up a poisoned chalice.

You'd want to find out what way he has them set up at the very least before pulling the trigger.

heganboy

Quote from: Puckoon on October 24, 2011, 08:51:53 PM
the club pro has had these clubs specified to him and his game. Sometimes there isnt much difference - but unless you are both of similar height, and swing speeds - you might be picking up a poisoned chalice.

or at least have him fit you for the clubs...

your clubs are like a suit- fit is more important that quality...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

JimStynes

Quote from: heganboy on October 25, 2011, 05:33:33 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on October 24, 2011, 08:51:53 PM
the club pro has had these clubs specified to him and his game. Sometimes there isnt much difference - but unless you are both of similar height, and swing speeds - you might be picking up a poisoned chalice.

or at least have him fit you for the clubs...

your clubs are like a suit- fit is more important that quality...

Had them at the range last night and they feel nice to hit. When you hit one well it goes for miles. Not as forgiving as my r7s but more forgiving than I thought they would be. He is roughly the same height as me (6ft) and he has his clubs 1/4 inch longer. He has lighter shafts in them and a thicker grip. They are lovely clubs but I am going to wait until I play a couple of rounds with them this weekend.

What would I be looking him to do if I was getting him to fit my clubs?

heganboy

he would check for correct sharft length and weight for your swing and then check the offset based on how on the angle of your shaft (oo-er missus) at impact so that the bottom of the club would be level with the ground...

http://www.golf-club-revue.com/golf-club-irons.html

Orior

Where is the leader board for the Shanghai Masters?

Google is not my friend.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

heganboy

Puckoon

1 hour frost delay. Hitting the range Bloody Mary's.

heganboy

Good win for wee Rory, playoff vs Anthony Kin for a $2M payout...

Declan

Lowry  doing Ok today in Valderamma as well

JimStynes

Played Ardglass today. Unreal course, great views and very challenging. Too challenging for me but I still enjoyed it. I have been shooting 89/90 lately and shot 103 today  >:( Links golf is a totally different game. Hopefully this time next year I will be scoring a whole lot better.

heganboy

Quote from: heganboy on October 18, 2011, 10:28:29 PM
Ardglass is a fantastic course, one of my favorite anywhere in the world. b**tard hard though, you will not believe the angles that you'll be hitting off the tee...

was that a fair comment? How many balls did you lose?

JimStynes

Quote from: heganboy on October 30, 2011, 06:26:00 PM
Quote from: heganboy on October 18, 2011, 10:28:29 PM
Ardglass is a fantastic course, one of my favorite anywhere in the world. b**tard hard though, you will not believe the angles that you'll be hitting off the tee...

was that a fair comment? How many balls did you lose?

Yes definitely a fair comment. I have only played a few different courses before so Ardglass was a big step up. Lost 2 balls in the rough and that was it. Got off pretty light. I parred the first hole and then it just went down hill from there. Got new AP2 irons the other day as well so I am still getting used to them which didnt help with my ball striking either. Playing today and then heading to Greenore tomorrow for another open. Anybody been to lisburn (Stephen Hamill i think he is called) for lessons before?

Class of 99

Jim I would stay away from the ap2's great club but definately suited for the single digit golfer, especially ones set up for a pro.
Best of luck whatever u decide to do