The Official Golf Thread

Started by laoislad, December 28, 2006, 07:07:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

screenexile

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Pub Bore

Quote from: thebigfella on September 26, 2021, 07:23:27 PM
Quote from: Pub Bore on September 26, 2021, 07:14:59 PM
Quote from: Rich Ricci on September 26, 2021, 10:07:53 AM
How do they decide who faces who? Do both captains decide what order they want to send their players out and the matches are made accordingly or can you pick potential match ups?

I think it's blind but with Eur needing a lot of points Stricker will guess that Harrington will send out his strongest players first to get points on the board so he can second guess with his selections.  Mind you if I were Stricker I'd have thought McIlroy 11 and Poulter 12 was a cert!!

He doesn't have to guess, they already out  ::)

No, the singles have been postponed until tomorrow due to awful golf by Eur.

Boycey

Quote from: Pub Bore on September 26, 2021, 08:43:58 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on September 26, 2021, 07:23:27 PM
Quote from: Pub Bore on September 26, 2021, 07:14:59 PM
Quote from: Rich Ricci on September 26, 2021, 10:07:53 AM
How do they decide who faces who? Do both captains decide what order they want to send their players out and the matches are made accordingly or can you pick potential match ups?

I think it's blind but with Eur needing a lot of points Stricker will guess that Harrington will send out his strongest players first to get points on the board so he can second guess with his selections.  Mind you if I were Stricker I'd have thought McIlroy 11 and Poulter 12 was a cert!!

He doesn't have to guess, they already out  ::)

No, the singles have been postponed until tomorrow due to awful golf by Eur.

How did you get your username....

screenexile

I'm sure there will be plenty of post mortems but is it not just simply that the USA team are better golfers and no matter what combination you put out the sresult would more than likely have been the same?

I think the only real mistake Harrington made was Poulter but would Rose/Noren have been any better?

Boycey

A fair enough synopsis but that's not how it works nowadays there's got to be fallguys.... Someone to deconstruct and point the finger at

thebigfella

Quote from: screenexile on September 26, 2021, 08:48:59 PM
I'm sure there will be plenty of post mortems but is it not just simply that the USA team are better golfers and no matter what combination you put out the sresult would more than likely have been the same?

I think the only real mistake Harrington made was Poulter but would Rose/Noren have been any better?

No, he's had zero form and one average weekend at the BMW didn't deserve a pick. Too many of them had no form coming into it to be honest

JimStynes

This one is just a simple case of America having a much better team. The players who didn't make the American team would give Europe a good rattle if not beat them.

Estimator

Quote from: JimStynes on September 26, 2021, 09:17:22 PM
This one is just a simple case of America having a much better team. The players who didn't make the American team would give Europe a good rattle if not beat them.
Exactly this... USA have one player in their squad outside the Top 20. That's Scheffler at 21. Two players inside the Top 20 - Horschel + Reed didn't make it.
Europe have two players in the 30s, two players in the 40s, one in the 50s and one in the 60s in their squad.
Ulster League Champions 2009

JPGJOHNNYG

Quote from: JimStynes on September 26, 2021, 09:17:22 PM
That's pretty much the same every Ryder cup to be fair. Harrington's picks did ok in the end. Poulter today showed why he was picked. Is Fitzpatrick even going to get a half after 2 Ryder cups. The English lads have been fairly w**k this time. The yanks holed everything. I'm defo calling bullshit on McGinley's earlier stat

An Watcher

Is the points list calculated over a year because if it's there is definitely an argument to run it over 6 months or something.  That way only the form players make it not guys who had form and then lost it coming in. 

JPGJOHNNYG

screenexile

Quote from: An Watcher on September 26, 2021, 10:40:39 PM
Is the points list calculated over a year because if it's there is definitely an argument to run it over 6 months or something.  That way only the form players make it not guys who had form and then lost it coming in.

2 years!! Hatton/Fitzpatrick/Fleetwood/Westwood were very the year before last but not great this season and it showed.

JimStynes

Am I being harsh or is English golf shit?

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians