Financial Advice

Started by LC, January 27, 2024, 01:27:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LC

Looking to set up another pension aside from my work pension.  No big expert on these things but can someone tell me what is the organisation / overseeing body that bona fide / genuine pension providers need to be registered with. Plenty of pension companies out there that talk a good game but the last thing I want is a scenario down the line where they and / or my money disappear.

Thanks.

ThomasMullan

Quote from: LC on January 27, 2024, 01:27:58 PMLooking to set up another pension aside from my work pension.  No big expert on these things but can someone tell me what is the organisation / overseeing body that bona fide / genuine pension providers need to be registered with. Plenty of pension companies out there that talk a good game but the last thing I want is a scenario down the line where they and / or my money disappear.

Thanks.

Set up a DIY SIPP with a low cost platform like Interactve Investor or Vanguard. You can use one of the online money comparison websites to check out their latest fees. There are many others.

Keep your fees as low as possible. If you have moderate growth the difference in a few percentage points over time is massive.

Research has shown that financial advisors can't outperform the market so you might as well choose your own funds, ETFs etc to invest in. Choosing individual companies to invest in is just gambling.

theskull1

Does your employer offer salary sacrifice into your company pension? If so I'd have said that would be the most tax efficient way to up your pension contributions.... {not a doctor)
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

seafoid

Quote from: ThomasMullan on January 27, 2024, 07:38:19 PM
Quote from: LC on January 27, 2024, 01:27:58 PMLooking to set up another pension aside from my work pension.  No big expert on these things but can someone tell me what is the organisation / overseeing body that bona fide / genuine pension providers need to be registered with. Plenty of pension companies out there that talk a good game but the last thing I want is a scenario down the line where they and / or my money disappear.

Thanks.

Set up a DIY SIPP with a low cost platform like Interactve Investor or Vanguard. You can use one of the online money comparison websites to check out their latest fees. There are many others.

Keep your fees as low as possible. If you have moderate growth the difference in a few percentage points over time is massive.

Research has shown that financial advisors can't outperform the market so you might as well choose your own funds, ETFs etc to invest in. Choosing individual companies to invest in is just gambling.
Do not invest with Vanguard. It is passive. Low cost and no protection against volatility.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU