Budding Writers

Started by Milltown Row2, February 03, 2020, 09:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Any budding novelists/playwright/screen writers on the board!

Would love to get into writing short stories but fail to have the will power to actually dedicate time and effort to put pen to paper. That's mainly due to work, As I'm usually zapped after work.

For some it comes very naturally but would there be workshops out there for amateurs?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Saffrongael

You have been producing some very good fiction on here for a quite a while
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Saffrongael on February 03, 2020, 10:10:29 PM
You have been producing some very good fiction on here for a quite a while

True  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ambrose

Join a local creative writing group or take some classes to see if you are a budding Shakespeare, but be prepared to have your first few drafts torn to shreds.
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ambrose on February 03, 2020, 10:17:20 PM
Join a local creative writing group or take some classes to see if you are a budding Shakespeare, but be prepared to have your first few drafts torn to shreds.

My youngest daughter is busy doing her work for Macbeth at the minute, the depth involved into her prep for up and coming GCSE's is mental. I can't remember it being that detailed. Needless to say it wasn't my best subject at school.

Finding a local creative group would be the best step, but I'd need my big boy pants to take the knocks!

brokencrossbar1

Google is your friend....plenty of on-line options so go down that road at the start maybe. Once you have a bit of confidence you could start integrating with the Mo Charas round the Falls and become an Irish intelligentsia!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 04, 2020, 10:43:27 AM
Google is your friend....plenty of on-line options so go down that road at the start maybe. Once you have a bit of confidence you could start integrating with the Mo Charas round the Falls and become an Irish intelligentsia!

I hear the Felons Club can be a real meeting of the minds.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 04, 2020, 10:45:32 AM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on February 04, 2020, 10:43:27 AM

I hear the Felons Club can be a real meeting of the minds.

It's a meeting of something alright  ;D

lurganblue

Anyone on the board had anything published that we could rip to shreds?  ;)

imtommygunn

My sister in law did a creative writing course in the tech down at the titanic quarter probably 6 or 7 years ago. She's a sensitive soul and she loved it so I imagine you'd be fine. It wasn't a GCSE or anything just a course.

BTW I loved the first response to you ;D

johnnycool

Doesn't have to be fiction MR2.

I'm sure you could embellish some of the shit you've witnessed as a West Belfast GAA referee and be like your one who wrote Derry girls....

Milltown Row2

Quote from: imtommygunn on February 04, 2020, 01:53:43 PM
My sister in law did a creative writing course in the tech down at the titanic quarter probably 6 or 7 years ago. She's a sensitive soul and she loved it so I imagine you'd be fine. It wasn't a GCSE or anything just a course.

Look I leave myself open for banter! I love that. There's not a serious bone in my body!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: lurganblue on February 04, 2020, 12:42:26 PM
Be my guest. Google "The Little Book of Mayo" by the History Press.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

imtommygunn

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on February 04, 2020, 02:38:48 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on February 04, 2020, 01:53:43 PM

Look I leave myself open for banter! I love that. There's not a serious bone in my body!

;D... Belfast tech does courses though. The sister in law loved it.

ziggy90

Quote from: Lar Naparka on February 04, 2020, 07:21:32 PM
Quote from: lurganblue on February 04, 2020, 12:42:26 PM
Be my guest. Google "The Little Book of Mayo" by the History Press.

Does it include a chapter on Ballaghaderreen?
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered