The medical thread

Started by Milltown Row2, January 21, 2016, 08:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Thought I'd get this topic up before Seafoid did ;D

Any illness and ways you've dealt with them

Are doctors (GP's) just doing the basic checks or with the power of Internet is it better to self diagnose and self medicate rather than time spent at local surgery?

And with the likes of Randox health checks is it better to get a kit that could check your blood,cholesterol, blood pressure and other things that the normal GP carried out
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

general_lee

I never go to the doctors. But I've never really had to. I went once last year convinced I had something. Turned out I didn't.

DennistheMenace

Simple answer is it's better to go see a qualified GP. It doesn't cost you anything.

Self diagnosis from the internet will lead you to believe your dying within roughly 30 minutes.

illdecide

Quote from: DennistheMenace on January 21, 2016, 08:54:43 AM
Simple answer is it's better to go see a qualified GP. It doesn't cost you anything.

Self diagnosis from the internet will lead you to believe your dying within roughly 30 minutes.

Yeah and the Doc's hate when people do this, the internet is a good tool but can be very dangerous too for medical advice. Having a proper registered Irish/British medical centre online is pretty good but there are some dodgy sites out there who could give u a bum steer.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

One website showed that I had been already been dead for roughly 30 minutes.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

annapr

It's costs anywhere from €50 up to see a GP

finbar o tool

[/quote]

unfortunately that is why we are having this conversation...
people go to google rather than pay €50, particularly if its something small that you are unsure of. the doc could tell you to go home and rest or something, after paying €50 for that advise.
i dont think anyone would recommend going to google over a qualified GP but i understand why some do check google first.
you could check with a pharmacist first but generally if they are not sure they will recommend a GP visit too.
An amateur requires a personal commitment that money cannot buy

Tony Baloney

Never, ever self-diagnose an illness using the Internet would be my advice.  That's not to say GPs are infallible and should be treated as such. If you want a second opinion based on a reasonable conclusion that the dpc has got it wrong, then ask for it.

johnneycool

Quote from: annapr on January 21, 2016, 12:06:32 PM

I'd suggest Dennis is a northern poster where GP services are free as well as prescriptions and hence the reason people up north are more inclined to visit the GP and for some reason feel the need for a prescription for whatever ailment they need and GP's duly oblige.

foxcommander

From Viz

Pretend you're a doctor by turning up late, refusing to talk to anyone for more than 30 seconds, then prescribing a course of antibiotics.

Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

No wides

Quote from: johnneycool on January 21, 2016, 02:20:17 PM

I'd suggest Dennis is a northern poster where GP services are free as well as prescriptions and hence the reason people up north are more inclined to visit the GP and for some reason feel the need for a prescription for whatever ailment they need and GP's duly oblige.

They aren't free we all pay national insurance.

Puckoon

I am glad to see the CDC have issued new guidelines on this willy nilly prescribing of antibiotics for minor and viral illnesses. For some time been amazed at the over prescription of Antibiotics - Doctors both in the north and over here. We are at a time when antibiotic resistance is a serious threat to both the usefulness of antibiotics and subsequently to our survival.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: No wides on January 21, 2016, 02:28:29 PM

Its free if you never worked before
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

No wides

To be fair if everyone up North had to pay to actually see a doctor, you might get a fecking appointment when you are ill rather than when Mars aligned with Jupiter and there was a red Sun in the sky!!!

No wides

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 21, 2016, 02:31:04 PM
Quote from: No wides on January 21, 2016, 02:28:29 PM

Its free if you never worked before

In the same way the dole is free if you have never worked before.