Derry v Galway AISF Sat 9th July 5.30pm Croke Park

Started by screenexile, June 26, 2022, 07:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Derry could have been 5 points up at half time. It would have been a reflection of their first half dominance but it wouldn't have made a difference. You can't win the all Ireland without a few scoring forwards.

Galway found it much easier to score.

LC

Anybody see or hear anything about the Gards being a bit heavy handed in the Hill on Saturday?

toby47

Quote from: LC on July 11, 2022, 08:27:19 AM
Anybody see or hear anything about the Gards being a bit heavy handed in the Hill on Saturday?

Saw the video's that are being circulated.

6th sam

Quote from: Walter Cronc on July 11, 2022, 02:14:38 AM
Quote from: screenexile on July 10, 2022, 11:24:04 PM
I have 3 complaints about the first half

1. Why was the Glass score not given when Walsh's was
2. There was a clear footblock from a scoreable position
3. Benny Heron was tripped at the top of the D and should have been a free in

No conplaints  about the second half other than the keeper jogging back to goal when he was caught up the pitch. He mightn't have made it but jesus make an effort!!

Lynch is a calamity. Has been since he first took the jersey. I just hope Gallagher has the humility and foresight to get rid of him. Connlan Bradley is a better option at present and surely we've a decent u20 keeper coming through the ranks. It's a major issue of concern going forward!

Lynch is a quality footballer , and was outstanding in his rye of a needle kickouts . When Galway pushed up he was under pressure as Derry don't currently have enough quality fielders to go long. Derry will look to improve that with perhaps using Bradley more etc.
I remember Niall Morgan and rory beggan being roundly criticised in their youth for making similar mistakes as Lynch. They persevered, and became two of the top keepers of their generation . Derry don't need to press any panic buttons. Consolidate what they have , bolster their panel and s&c over the next couple of years , and they can be real contenders . Ultimately This year was a year too soon for them .

tbrick18

Quote from: 6th sam on July 11, 2022, 08:59:26 AM

No conplaints  about the second half other than the keeper jogging back to goal when he was caught up the pitch. He mightn't have made it but jesus make an effort!!

Lynch is a calamity. Has been since he first took the jersey. I just hope Gallagher has the humility and foresight to get rid of him. Connlan Bradley is a better option at present and surely we've a decent u20 keeper coming through the ranks. It's a major issue of concern going forward!

Lynch is a quality footballer , and was outstanding in his rye of a needle kickouts . When Galway pushed up he was under pressure as Derry don't currently have enough quality fielders to go long. Derry will look to improve that with perhaps using Bradley more etc.
I remember Niall Morgan and rory beggan being roundly criticised in their youth for making similar mistakes as Lynch. They persevered, and became two of the top keepers of their generation . Derry don't need to press any panic buttons. Consolidate what they have , bolster their panel and s&c over the next couple of years , and they can be real contenders . Ultimately This year was a year too soon for them .

If Lynch was playing the standard keeper role, no-one would have any complaints.
He's being told to play fly keeper and I'd imagine it's going to take time to develop that role.
It takes balls to play that role because in all likelihood you would eventually get caught out. The question isn't about him being a quality keeper, which I think he is, it's about whether playing a fly keeper brings enough positives to justify the risk.
It's unfair on him to say he's a calamity.
He's doing what is instructed. His kickouts are generally excellent  and his shot stopping is good.
This has been the only time this year He's been caught out.
I think he's had a decent year and will come back stronger.

Taylor

Glass was at fault for the second goal. Not the keeper

seafoid

Derry's accuracy was poor and you can't have that with the system they use.
The turnover that led to  the second goal was very sloppy.

God14

24 is very young for a keeper. Cluxton was making big blunders at that age (2003 v Armagh)
I think Derry should stick with him.

Mckinless of Ballinderry was another promising young keeper. Suprised he isn't on the panel

Ultimately Derry need to unearth a few forwards to make the next step. Callum Brown maybe someday? Lachlan Murray took his goal well, hes worth keeping an eye on too.

I still have major reservations on whether forwards can actively progress under Gallaghers management tho. Derry could do worse than listen to Darren McCurrys views on the BBC social, playing as an attacker in that exact same system under Harte.

mouview

Quote from: LC on July 11, 2022, 08:27:19 AM

Saturday or Sunday?

Estimator

Haven't watched the game back or any of the highlights, but those those 3 incidents stood out for me in the first half.  Had a great view of all three and couldn't believe the two frees weren't given.  Similarly there was a blatant two arm push in the back of a Galway player, deep into the second half, in front of the Cusack stand, that was given in Derry's favour, didn't understand that decision either.

Galway deserved the victory, but it might have been interesting to see any tactical changes going in at the break with the difference in scores.

Galways defence in the second half was immense, won a serious amount of turn over ball.  They'd clearly done their homework on move that Derry have used a lot this year, with the forward cutting behind the defender and moving across to take hand pass. But that seemed to be stopped so many times in the second half. Even the turnover for the second goal, Lynch give it to a static Glass, with nowhere to go and a Galway man in front of him, this didn't happen in other games.

Derry weren't any near how accurate or clinical as they were in the Ulster Championship.  Even in the first half when they were in the ascendancy there was a couple of shots i felt they wouldn't have taken on in  Ulster, one from McKaigue and one from McGuigan stand out.

Ultimately, Derry fans (new and old) will be happy with how the year went.. to be disappointed walking out of an All-Ireland Semi-Final isn't an awful place to be given how dire things were a couple of years ago.  I'm hoping that there is a knock on affect on the schools and clubs and that Derry will be back next year. Fingers crossed they'll be in the mix with Dublin and Kildare for the promotions spots and we unearth/bring through a few more forward talents from the minor teams.
Ulster League Champions 2009

lenny

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 11, 2022, 09:13:55 AM

If Lynch was playing the standard keeper role, no-one would have any complaints.
He's being told to play fly keeper and I'd imagine it's going to take time to develop that role.
It takes balls to play that role because in all likelihood you would eventually get caught out. The question isn't about him being a quality keeper, which I think he is, it's about whether playing a fly keeper brings enough positives to justify the risk.
He's doing what is instructed. His kickouts are generally excellent  and his shot stopping is good.

He's been pushing upfield in every game Derry played in the championship and it's paid off as he's contributed to quite a few scores. This is the first time it's backfired but it's a risk more and more coaches are taking because the positives outweigh the negatives. He actually had a couple of good chances to score points but put them wide. He's young, a great lad and will develop. Keepers don't reach their peak until late 20s or 30s. Cluxton was a much better keeper in those years than when he started.

marty34

Quote from: tbrick18 on July 11, 2022, 09:13:55 AM

Galway should have had a goal when keeper punched it out instead of catching the ball. 9 times out of 10 that's a goal.  He was lucky. 

As for his out the field ramblings, he's not adding anything to Derry. He's making no difference as an attacker - no pace or incisive passing. Had a good idea to fist pass off the ground in the first half but it was poor control and a wasted chance.

Need to be doing 50 m sprints at training if he's going to be pushing out the field. From the Hill camera angle for Comer's second goal, his attempt to get back was poor - just jogging, so he needs to work on that.

Positioning for Clare's second goal was very poor. It'll be a learning experience for him and he needs to keep at it. Every day's a school day and all that.

In fairness, he needs a few others, outwith Glass, to hit if the short kick-out is not on.

JohnDenver

Gallagher was giving Lynch instruction in the second half obviously to attack.  You'd wonder if he was determined to get an extra man involved, should he have considered actually bringing on an outfield player for Lynch?  It's not as if there was a lot of actual goal keeping to be done at that point given how far Galway were ahead and sitting back.

tbrick18

Quote from: God14 on July 11, 2022, 09:31:54 AM
24 is very young for a keeper. Cluxton was making big blunders at that age (2003 v Armagh)
I think Derry should stick with him.

Mckinless of Ballinderry was another promising young keeper. Suprised he isn't on the panel

Ultimately Derry need to unearth a few forwards to make the next step. Callum Brown maybe someday? Lachlan Murray took his goal well, hes worth keeping an eye on too.

I still have major reservations on whether forwards can actively progress under Gallaghers management tho. Derry could do worse than listen to Darren McCurrys views on the BBC social, playing as an attacker in that exact same system under Harte.

My main concern about Goalkeeping is the goalkeeping coach. He was a poor keeper when playing for Derry, imo, so I'm not sure he's the man to have in there as the GK coach. I could be wrong, good players don't always make good coaches so I guess the opposite can also be true.
Talk of Callum Brown is silly imo. By all accounts he's doing well with the oval ball and we just have to forget about him unless he happens to return.
The single most obvious addition to the panel next year would be Ciaran McFaul. He'd be a big plus for us on long kickouts and brings a lot to attack. Hopefully he can be brought back in again.
Murray definately has potential, got a fair bit of time over the league so this year should bring him on.
Not sure what the story is with Tohill. I've watched him in the warmups and he looks huge, fast and fit. Strange he never got a minute, but maybe Gallagher has him there this year to bring him on for next year. I'm assuming he can play up front or MF?
We're probably 3-4 panel players short.
We'll need a Mckaigue replacement in the next couple of years so should be looking at that.
We need some more options in the middle third, possibly McFaul fills that role.
We could also do with a forward or two.

I'm sure the system will evolve, and I think the Clare game was an attempt at doing that (4 men FF line at times).

But we're not too far away imo.

Rudi

Great to see a team that was second best  ;D in Division 2 reach an All Ireland final. Gives great hope to teams outside the top 4.