Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

An interesting weekend so far, Castlewellan was atrocious but Loughinisland won't fear anyone. I was wrong about Mayobridge who really took an intensity to Carryduff who was second best. Defensively they were excellent and they have impressed me since Quinn left. Last nights game was great entertainment, for large parts it was puke but the closeness kept it fun to watch. Clonduff came with a blueprint that other teams will copy. But to be fair every team plays this way now and on the day it's who is hungrier. I think think the championship is wide open due to the way football is now played. Every game is going to be tight and cagey from here on in. Kilcoo is still the team to beat but there will be doubts in their camp this morning but it could be the best thing that happened to them.

Truth hurts

I just got a message that Mickey Moran is back with Kilcoo and the players went to ensure he was there for the championship games. Is there any truth in this?

Godsown

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 26, 2022, 10:41:46 AM
I just got a message that Mickey Moran is back with Kilcoo and the players went to ensure he was there for the championship games. Is there any truth in this?

Martin Luther King had a dream, Joseph ( Coat of many colours) had a dream. You got a message. So must be true

Truth hurts

Quote from: Godsown on September 26, 2022, 10:50:54 AM
Quote from: Truth hurts on September 26, 2022, 10:41:46 AM

Martin Luther King had a dream, Joseph ( Coat of many colours) had a dream. You got a message. So must be true

If you are going to be sarcastic please make it funny. Thanks

Down Follower

How people think the ref favoured Kilcoo is beyond me.
Clonduff tackled hard and crossed the line to reckless on many occasions. Numerous late and high hits yet. Only 2 or 3 yellows given out.
Kilcoo took the hits, rode their luck for sure and came through.
How they do it time and again is unreal.

Truth hurts

Quote from: Down Follower on September 26, 2022, 12:56:24 PM
How people think the ref favoured Kilcoo is beyond me.
Clonduff tackled hard and crossed the line to reckless on many occasions. Numerous late and high hits yet. Only 2 or 3 yellows given out.
Kilcoo took the hits, rode their luck for sure and came through.
How they do it time and again is unreal.

The scoreable frees Kilcoo got before HT were soft, Arthur should have got a penalty in the first half and Niall Brannigan should have been black carded for a deliberate pull down with 10 to go. All in all Clonduff missed the boat and one kick from a penalty would have sent the Champs packing. It is actually crazy how many near misses they have had and they always are ok. Arthur McConville and Aidan Carr were immense last night for Clonduff. Aiden Brannigan played his first game of the year last night and looks miles off the pace, Laverty is not getting the same space anymore and doesn't have the impact as he used to, I did notice at full time that he was doing all the talking in the huddle with Gilligan and Thorthon watching on. I would love to see Burren and Kilcoo kept apart as it would be an interesting final.

terrifictommy

Agree with earlier post, both sides benefited from decisions. Commentators spot on though, think each of Clonduff full back lines should have been carded with high hits. But ref let play go, local derby in knock out, thought he done well all in all.
Overall though it was absorbing game to watch, maybe not flowing football but very tactical. Not a fan of pens, replay would be my choice.

Truth hurts

Quote from: terrifictommy on September 26, 2022, 03:54:46 PM
Agree with earlier post, both sides benefited from decisions. Commentators spot on though, think each of Clonduff full back lines should have been carded with high hits. But ref let play go, local derby in knock out, thought he done well all in all.
Overall though it was absorbing game to watch, maybe not flowing football but very tactical. Not a fan of pens, replay would be my choice.

What rules should we change to stop the puke though, Kilcoo kept the ball for about 6 minutes last night, but it was absorbing as we are Down people but some neutrals from another county would have been bored by that.

terrifictommy

No credible rules could be invoked for that I don't think. I could be wrong, taking the basketball offensive approach, no back pass after opposition 45, teams needing to have a minimum of 3 players in 45etc are options but I don't think would advance our game. I don't see an easy solution.
Player and spectators appetite for a more forward thinking game would be the way to go

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: Truth hurts on September 26, 2022, 04:42:49 PM

What rules should we change to stop the puke though, Kilcoo kept the ball for about 6 minutes last night, but it was absorbing as we are Down people but some neutrals from another county would have been bored by that.

Barcelona or Man City play a possession game, move the ball about the pitch & wait patiently for an opening & their coaches are hailed as genius.

When a GAA team use the same tactics it's puke & the coaches are ruining the game.

Some people will rave about it in one code then rant about it in another.

I don't get the outrage.

thewobbler

Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on September 26, 2022, 07:19:23 PM

Barcelona or Man City play a possession game, move the ball about the pitch & wait patiently for an opening & their coaches are hailed as genius.

When a GAA team use the same tactics it's puke & the coaches are ruining the game.

I don't get the outrage.

It's not soccer.

The reason why there's uprights in Gaelic Games is to provide teams with  a reasonable chance of a gaining a score on every possession. Soccer with its single net doesn't have this framework. Therefore in soccer preventing your opponent from creating goal chances is the key to the game.

Also please bear in that 3 decades ago soccer removed the back pass with a sole purpose: to prevent teams being able to retain possession in a skillless way.

We have to do the same, now. It's time.skill less possession is crap to play, and absolutely horrible to watch.

Hard2Listen2

Quote from: thewobbler on September 26, 2022, 08:01:03 PM
Quote from: Hard2Listen2 on September 26, 2022, 07:19:23 PM

I don't get the outrage.

It's not soccer.

The reason why there's uprights in Gaelic Games is to provide teams with  a reasonable chance of a gaining a score on every possession. Soccer with its single net doesn't have this framework. Therefore in soccer preventing your opponent from creating goal chances is the key to the game.

Also please bear in that 3 decades ago soccer removed the back pass with a sole purpose: to prevent teams being able to retain possession in a skillless way.

We have to do the same, now. It's time.skill less possession is crap to play, and absolutely horrible to watch.

Didn't think I'd hear that from a Harps man. It was a staple of your senior team for a very long time!
😄

I agree with you to a point but what is m saying is that there are individuals who are full of praise & outraged at the same time.
Tbh I think it's a narrative driven by parts of the media & certain pundits.

befair

5times5times

Do Down just refuse to post updates on Twitter?? 20mins before 1st of the night, none in ET etc.

Madness. Compare to Tyrone/Armagh/Derry etc

angermanagement