Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAULD123

Quote from: supersub on February 28, 2015, 03:20:30 PM
A lot of people airing opinions on what is the right and wrong selection for Down - and so be it, it is a discussion forum after all. However could I suggest doing it without questioning the integrity of a recently installed manager ...

I wasn't questioning his integrity. I thought people would see that the last comment was meant as a sort of whimsical statement exemplifying my general failure to understand some of jim's decisions. Certainly I support him fully, hope he is a success and have said for some time now that he earned his position with the superb job he did at Kilcoo. But I am still baffled by his decisions. Especially leaving out Arthur.

But to be clear it was a joking comment and I didn't mean it seriously

5 Sams

Just home. Two points on the road again. Big Arthur saves the day again with a great pass to Garvey who slipped it to O'Hare who won the game after a tight, mistake ridden affair in horrible conditions. We were probably the best team on the night despite losing O'Hagan and McArdle early on to injuries.
The Aristocrat Years

Shamrocks Gaelp

Surely art has nailed down that full forward position now. Every ball in stuck to him, his running off the ball was great and every pass into him he hung onto and just dropped the shoulder and ran on,   up the Connor Garvey pass for the donal o'hare goal. Also thought that conail McGovern seemed very settled and composed on the ball in an unaccustomed position but my jury is still out on Jerome Johnston and o'hanlon. Still, 2 points on the road is always great!

Dubh driocht

Good win on the road again. McCorry read it well, I was surprised he took off Madine as he was doing well but Garvey was in the right place to capitalise on great work by Art mor for the decisive score from Donal. The three Downpatrick men were on a par with the four Kilcoo men,Kevy Mc Kernan led by example. Important two points sets us up well but we need to start making Pairc Esler a fortress again, starting with Galway next week.

Aristo 60

Well glad went to breffni good down performance but measure that against a very poor Cavan display.

Mourne Rover

It is possible that McCorry picked the wrong team against Roscommon but he got everything right tonight, including his substitutions, and he is entitled to be pleased with our progress. While Cavan are a fairly ordinary side, they are hard to beat at Breffni and it looked ominous for us when they pulled level mid-way through the second half with a gale force wind behind them. However, we had looked like getting a goal for most of the match and, as soon as we did, the points were effectively secure. The Cavan red card was a little unfortunate, but the two fouls were in quick succession, and probably balanced out the two early injuries which disrupted our system. With three of our last four fixtures at home, a rattle at promotion is not out of the question.

Gordon did well in nets on his league debut, even if he put too many kick-outs down the middle, and he showed good handling skills and was particularly quick off his line. O'Hagan was unlucky to pick up what looked like a hamstring after about five minutes and may be out for a while.  The team-mate who insisted on passing to him after he had pulled up and waved to the sideline was not exactly paying attention. Collins did an excellent job when he came on, Dee Turley put in a fine shift and Howard is starting to really look the part at full back and even scored a long range point which may well have been intended as a pass..

McArdle was another unfortunate injury victim but Boyle did well when he came on. Devlin was not at his best in the first half but inproved steadily when he was pushed further forward after the break. McGovern also had an uncertain start but eased into his role and got a fine late point. Turley was excellent at midfield while Madine battled away and it was a surprise when he was replaced.

O'Hanlon had a great start with a couple of penetrating diagonal balls, but did not really impose himself  later on, while Johnston worked hard until he was sensibly taken off after his yellow card. McKernan is one of our key figures and put in a classy display.

Poland is still trying to find his best form but was competing strongly towards the end and played a part in the goal. O'Hare is quite a talent, as he comes in and out of the game but still gets his goal and a few crucial points. Laverty took a while to get going but he eventually became the dominant influence and Cavan had no idea how to cope with him in the closing stages.

Garvey and Carr were steady when they appeared and big Arthur made another huge impact. He won every ball down his wing and set up the goal, and, while he seems capable of turning games from the bench, may be close to a starting spot.

We may not have been great, but we got the result we needed and three of our last four games are at home. Galway next week will be a big match for us.

whitegoodman

Good win last night. The sending off came at just the right time as the game was starting to get away from us.  Thought the two Turleys and McKernan were the pick of the players last night and despite some of the criticism that Donal gets we would be in trouble without him.

Would still have some misgivings about player selection and positioning but there can't be much doubt about the spirit that McCorry has installed into the team.

5 Sams

Just saw the highlights on TG4. Mc Kernan was superb. Hard to see when there on the night but the Cavan lad was unlucky to get a 2nd yellow.
The Aristocrat Years

snoopdog

Quote from: 5 Sams on March 01, 2015, 10:32:32 PM
Just saw the highlights on TG4. Mc Kernan was superb. Hard to see when there on the night but the Cavan lad was unlucky to get a 2nd yellow.

Totally agree it was a very soft yellow.
big game sunday against Galway, we cant let 2 great results on the road be overshadowed by poor performances at home. a victory over Galway would set us up nicely with 2 of 3 games to be played in Newry.

Courtney

Reports filtering through that we need a new County Minor Manager.
Any truth ? What happened ?

NP 76

Shamrocks Gaelp

I genuinely doubt that the county board would consider sacking a manager right before he has his team play their first game of the year, however please elaborate.

Smurfy123

I would not believe what that clowns says.Another bullshit story I would say.Move on

supersub

Is this Hoganstand or GAABoard?

OgraAnDun