Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down Follower

Seriously folks the criticism of Dawson is not measured at all here.  He has won 3 championship titles, with two different teams, and taken another team to the final.  Now, i am no big fan of the man but this speaks for itself really.  Whatever about Burren and the players they have, they still had to go out and win it.  The manager this year couldnt do it, not could the manager before Dawson, so i think he deserves some serious respect there for that.

As for what happened with Antrim, well, they are a bit of a mess ok, but he clearly had agreed with the Ford to move there while still in the Antrim post.  He has previous on this with Carryduff and Bellaghy so it doesnt surprise me.  This however does not take away from his achievements.

Congratulations to Kilcoo, they deserved it and the game panned out pretty much as i expected.  A dogfight, in which there would be only one winner.  They will give Crossmaglen something to think about but i still think Cross are too organised and disciplined to fall into the Magpies trap.

supersub

Quote from: Down Follower on October 22, 2013, 11:05:56 AM
Seriously folks the criticism of Dawson is not measured at all here.  He has won 3 championship titles, with two different teams, and taken another team to the final.  Now, i am no big fan of the man but this speaks for itself really.  Whatever about Burren and the players they have, they still had to go out and win it.  The manager this year couldnt do it, not could the manager before Dawson, so i think he deserves some serious respect there for that.

As for what happened with Antrim, well, they are a bit of a mess ok, but he clearly had agreed with the Ford to move there while still in the Antrim post.  He has previous on this with Carryduff and Bellaghy so it doesnt surprise me.  This however does not take away from his achievements.

Congratulations to Kilcoo, they deserved it and the game panned out pretty much as i expected.  A dogfight, in which there would be only one winner.  They will give Crossmaglen something to think about but i still think Cross are too organised and disciplined to fall into the Magpies trap.

You are ignoring the point that they had a handy run one year, played no one of note, and weren't tested at all til the final v Bryansford the other.

thewobbler

Quote from: supersub on October 22, 2013, 01:04:01 PM

You are ignoring the point that they had a handy run one year, played no one of note, and weren't tested at all til the final v Bryansford the other.

And you are ignoring the point that in the last 15 years, Burren have won two SFC titles, both of which were under Dawson.

You can f**k around with theories and run him down all you like, but the stats tell a simple truth. The only team that beat Frank Dawson's Burren in Championship football were Crossmaglen.

redandblackareback

Quote from: thewobbler on October 22, 2013, 01:12:08 PM
Quote from: supersub on October 22, 2013, 01:04:01 PM

And you are ignoring the point that in the last 15 years, Burren have won two SFC titles, both of which were under Dawson.

You can f**k around with theories and run him down all you like, but the stats tell a simple truth. The only team that beat Frank Dawson's Burren in Championship football were Crossmaglen.

I am sure a few Longstone people would disagree with that statement

johnneycool

For what its worth Frank was the last man to guide Down hurlers to an Ulster senior championship final win, he may have been helped with Antrim being so abjectly poor at the time, but you've still got to be in it to win it.

downjim

Can anyone shed light if both managers on Sunday were on win bonuses for winning the championship

downup

Very unlikely anyone is going to put in writing whether people are on win bonuses, sure they don't get paid!!!!
Also heard the rumour about Shane Mulholland taking the county minor job. I would be surprised if he doesn't have Poacher with him since they worked together at Ballyholland, albeit using a very very defensive gameplan but hey it got them results I suppose. Just hope whoever else is along with him/them can be strong enough to ensure that we don't get our young county players to see that football as the norm and that they are coached an attractive brand of football.   

5 Sams

Quote from: downup on October 24, 2013, 02:17:59 PM
Very unlikely anyone is going to put in writing whether people are on win bonuses, sure they don't get paid!!!!
Also heard the rumour about Shane Mulholland taking the county minor job. I would be surprised if he doesn't have Poacher with him since they worked together at Ballyholland, albeit using a very very defensive gameplan but hey it got them results I suppose. Just hope whoever else is along with him/them can be strong enough to ensure that we don't get our young county players to see that football as the norm and that they are coached an attractive brand of football.

Won't happen. Poacher staying at Ballyholland.
The Aristocrat Years

downup

That doesn't necessarily mean he won't be with them. Wee Pete done both this past few years.

5 Sams

Quote from: downup on October 24, 2013, 03:23:26 PM
That doesn't necessarily mean he won't be with them. Wee Pete done both this past few years.

Wee Pete hadnt a wife and two or three snappers!
The Aristocrat Years

Rodders88

Is that confirmed 5sams? Messages on here a few weeks back said he was taking Annaclone next year!!!

5 Sams

Quote from: Rodders88 on October 24, 2013, 04:34:57 PM
Is that confirmed 5sams? Messages on here a few weeks back said he was taking Annaclone next year!!!

Yep. Done and dusted.
The Aristocrat Years

Rodders88

Great appointment! I take it he'll be by himself this year with Mulholland taking the county minor job?

5 Sams

Quote from: Rodders88 on October 24, 2013, 04:53:39 PM
Great appointment! I take it he'll be by himself this year with Mulholland taking the county minor job?

Yep looks like he's the boss alright...as for Shane and the minor job...I havent seen anything official yet.
The Aristocrat Years

Courtney

Yes Stevie confirmed with Annaclone.Regards minors word is Selection Committee meeting 3 different parties one involving  Ex Co Managers ,one involving All Star forward and the other involving Shane.