Ard Macha v An Dun 24/03/12

Started by Agent Orange, March 18, 2012, 06:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Agent Orange

Down haven't won in the Athletic Grounds since Methuselah was in short trousers. League form goes out the window, this one is too close to call. Armagh could have done with the Cross boys but yesterdays draw put paid to that. Armagh are fighting for survival in Division1 and won't go down without a fight.
Verdict Armagh.

BennyCake

I don't think the Cross boys would've been back for this one, even if they had have won yesterday. Winning this one might not even keep us up. McKeever missing, can't see us winning this. Down have their tails up with their wins over Mayo and Dublin.

5 Sams

After today's result against the Dubs I've given up tryin to predict the results of league games....common sense would point to a Down winin this one but when did common sense ever come into the equation in football. If our boys produce something similar to today then they will beat Armagh....but I won't be putting any money on it!!
The Aristocrat Years

Orior

Armagh people should give up in Division 1 now, and I'm fed up supporting thugs and couldnt-be-arsed-stay-away-forwards.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

TacadoirArdMhacha

Interesting choice of words Orior.

Look at full strength there's probably little between these sides but you simply can't take players of the calibre of Brendan Donaghy, Kieran Toner, Jamie Clarke, Aaron Kernan, Steven McDonnell and Ciaran McKeever out of a side and expect the replacements to perform at Division one level. At the minute, he heart has been ripped out of the Armagh side with the entire spine of our team missing. The GAA seriously need to look at re-structuring the season and playing off the club championship in the one calender year.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

PAULD123

I think there is no doubt that Down should win next week. Down have a virtually full-strength squad to pick from and Armagh have been decimated. If Armagh were at full strength then it would be impossible to call. If Armagh do win then it will be a superb achievement for them. Not because I think beating Down is a superb achievement or that I think we are any sort of yardstick. It will simply be a great achievement because they have been so badly handicapped by the unavailability of first-choice players.

If we do win then I will of course be delighted and am happy to take any victory over Armagh. but I am a realist and I won't be going around bragging about it and thinking it makes us better than Armagh.

If I am right Armagh are missing Donaghy, Aarron Kernan, McKeever, Toner, Lavery, Mackin, Swift, and of course Stevie Mac & Jamie Clarke. I am not counting Ronan Clarke as he just isn't on the radar, you may as well talk about Down not having Marty Clarke available. But that means from their first choice championship side of last year they will be without at least 9 players.

If Down have the same attitude as we had against Dublin then I can see nothing other than a Down victory. If we have the same attitude as we had against Kerry then a motivated Armagh could win the game.

squire_in_navy_slacks

borderfox

Cant see us coming close to Down at the minute to be honest. The feelgood factor from the great win they had against Dublin allied to our team being decimated all points to a handy victory for the Mournemen.
It looks bleak for us presently. Division 2 football beckons Im afraid to say :(
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

armaghniac

The feelgood factor from the great win they had against Dublin allied to our team being decimated all points to a handy victory for the Mournemen.

If only Armagh had a feel good factor after beating Kerry......

QuoteDivision 2 football beckons Im afraid to say

Lets hope Monaghan and Louth are still there to cut down the fuel expenses.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

BennyCake

Quote from: armaghniac on March 20, 2012, 10:46:20 PM
The feelgood factor from the great win they had against Dublin allied to our team being decimated all points to a handy victory for the Mournemen.

If only Armagh had a feel good factor after beating Kerry......

QuoteDivision 2 football beckons Im afraid to say

Lets hope Monaghan and Louth are still there to cut down the fuel expenses.

And Galway. I want a weekend there  ;)

PAULD123

Quote from: BennyCake on March 20, 2012, 11:37:58 PM
And Galway. I want a weekend there  ;)

Sorry Bennycake but Galway were home to Kildare, Meath, and Tyrone So it is more than likely that any relegated team would be playing them at home - No weekend away in the West for any of us!!!!

Of course no disresepect intended to Galway who could in fact easily be one of the promoted teams. A victory away to Monaghan and at home to Kildare are very possible, and would guarantee promotion. In fact the match against Kildare on Easter Sunday is likely to be a promotion decider.

Do you fancy a weekend in rainy Naas instead?????????

Onion Bag

I see Aidan Forker got a straight red last in the U21 match, thats him and C Mc Keever out, jesus we wil struggle to get a team together for this one, between suspensions, injuries and the cross lads missing for another unexpected 2 weeks, its hard not to look past another hiding here
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

southdown

Anything can happen in a derby.  Sometimes in Down we get ahead of ourselves after a few victories only to be brought back to earth with a bang.  On paper and on recent form we should win but I wont be putting any money on it. Our recent record against Armagh is poor.

fitzroyalty

Hard to call. I think that Down will probably shade it. Which means Armagh will win.

Onion Bag

Quote from: Mac Eoghain on March 22, 2012, 04:32:53 PM
Surely unless it was a Category 4 offence the 'same code and at the same level' applies - in other words would it just apply to the U21s? These rules confuse me sometimes...

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure myself, I just assumed.
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!