Dogs - cool bastards.
30 (61.2%)
Cats - savage cnuts.
13 (26.5%)
Gerbils
6 (12.2%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Windmill abu

Get the cat to identify as a dog and there won't be a cat shitting in your garden anymore.
Never underestimate the power of complaining

Aaron Boone

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 25, 2023, 04:06:15 PM
Anyone know  how to  stop cats shitting in  the garden?

(I don't  have a shotgun)

Cats don't like peeled onions, leave a few lying around. 

snoopdog

Cats usually dig a hole and then cover it up again. I have a dog and 2 cats. The cats are no bother at all. Feed them and they head off and shit in someone else's garden. ;D  I know people put full water bottles in the garden to deter foxes  might work with cats also.

CK_Redhand

Where I am in England the place is swarming with pitbull type dogs the last few months. Go through a public park and you are almost guaranteed to see one with the owner barely able to hold it straining on the lead. I think they should be clamped down upon (maybe special license needed to breed/own or enforce what is already there?) but unfortunately it will take a few child deaths for people to sit up and take notice. Is there much of this in Ireland at the minute?

snoopdog

Quote from: CK_Redhand on March 25, 2023, 06:28:26 PM
Where I am in England the place is swarming with pitbull type dogs the last few months. Go through a public park and you are almost guaranteed to see one with the owner barely able to hold it straining on the lead. I think they should be clamped down upon (maybe special license needed to breed/own or enforce what is already there?) but unfortunately it will take a few child deaths for people to sit up and take notice. Is there much of this in Ireland at the minute?
No need for that breed of dog. Should be fined if it's not muzzled.  I actually thought they were on a restricted list. It's obviously not monitored

AustinPowers

Quote from: snoopdog on March 25, 2023, 05:39:24 PM
Cats usually dig a hole and then cover it up again. I have a dog and 2 cats. The cats are no bother at all. Feed them and they head off and shit in someone else's garden. ;D  I know people put full water bottles in the garden to deter foxes  might work with cats also.

That's the  problem. They're not my  feckin cats. It's  a neighbours.  There's an area  of  the garden with stones , and they seem to  always shite   there , the feckers

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: snoopdog on March 25, 2023, 06:58:56 PM
No need for that breed of dog. Should be fined if it's not muzzled.  I actually thought they were on a restricted list. It's obviously not monitored

Problem is the owner, not the breed.  I had a pitbull for about 11 years, loved kids. 

Was the same probelm in the 80s with rottweilers, people who wan the "toughest" dog de jour, single out a breed. People totally unsuited to big-dog-ownership,with no intention of doing the work needed to socialize the dog, get them.  Saw it in Dublin in the 80s, and in the US last 20 years.

Also saw plenty examples of good dog owners with the exact same breeds having no problems.

Square Ball

Quote from: Aaron Boone on March 25, 2023, 04:38:40 PM

Cats don't like peeled onions, leave a few lying around.

I had a cat constantly 💩 in my garden, got a cat scarer of Amazon, worked a treat until the batteries ran out and the wee ballix came back. New batteries and no more poop.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

screenexile

Hate cats and dogs but particularly cats. Woman in the development has about 6 cats that just roam free around the place and they shit and piss everywhere. Have to replace the welcome mat once a month nearly at this stage.

Do the cat scarers work? I need something to get them out.

(I also need to stop leaving cat doors open but that's another story!)

Eamonnca1

Feed them. They don't sh1t where they eat. And they'll keep rats and mice at bay while they're at it.

Eamonnca1

One thing I don't miss about England is constantly scanning the footpath for dog shite. It was everywhere. At least cats have the decency to bury theirs.

Eamonnca1

I'm a cat man myself. Mine never goes out. I let her out a couple of times but she just got scared and wanted to come back in.

She's low maintenance. All she needs is a full food bowl, a full water bowl, a clean litterbox, and a bit of a head scratch in the evening. Great with the kids too. They have to be quiet and gentle with her or she just runs away if they get too loud or rough.

GJL

Quote from: screenexile on March 27, 2023, 12:14:42 AM
Hate cats and dogs but particularly cats. Woman in the development has about 6 cats that just roam free around the place and they shit and piss everywhere. Have to replace the welcome mat once a month nearly at this stage.

Bill knows his stuff!

Bill Murray — 'I'm suspicious of people who don't like dogs, but I trust a dog when it doesn't like a person.'

Square Ball

Quote from: screenexile on March 27, 2023, 12:14:42 AM

Mine worked
, Pestbye® Waterproof Cat Repellent Ultrasonic Repeller Cat Scarer with Ground Stake (Battery Powered) https://amzn.eu/d/gmCpo89

Twilleded a few buttons and worked, annoys the grandson a little as he can hear it when he walks passed it.
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Eamonnca1

I've never understood the hatred some people have for cats, or the intolerance that some dog people have for people who don't share their passion for hounds.

I can't stand dogs, myself. I grew up getting chased by the feckers on my bike. Some owners made no effort to secure them and it meant some roads were no-go areas for anyone on foot or on bikes. There was one road near Lurgan that I rode down one day on the way to the lakes, and I heard some footsteps behind me. It was a giant Alsatian sprinting at me and it started barking. At least on the bike I was able to sprint and get away, but if I'd been on foot or there were small children walking past it doesn't bear a lot of thinking about. I've had plenty of similar encounters and unprovoked attacks.

Dogs in California are a bit better behaved because the owners aren't allowed to let them out of control, but occasionally you get one careless cretin in the park. I was out for a run in a park one evening and a pit-bull came out of nowhere ready to kill me. I freaked out and ran off, and the owner said the usual "he won't bite you" while she came running over trying to get the stupid thing under control.

Nothing as annoying as being out minding your own business only to be set upon by one of these dangerous animals for no reason. Put "dog mauled" into a Google news search and there's never any shortage of stories of people being attacked and in some cases killed by dogs.

Two-year-old girl mauled by family dog

Denver man says he's lucky to be alive following terrifying dog attack in his neighborhood

14-year-old receives non-life-threatening injuries from morning dog attack

Weeks After Loose Dogs Mauled Her Yorkie to Death, Arlington Woman Continues to Live in Fear

Spring, Texas dog attack: Pre-K teacher Irene Cornish ruptures artery when neighbor's canine mauls her

Pit bull kills rescuer trying to stop a fight; third fatal dog attack in six days

Alberta boy, 5, killed in dog attack was in care of children's services: 'It's heartbreaking'

'Horrific scene': Dog owner arrested after elderly man killed, 3 others injured in dog attack, officials say