too much favouritism in down squad?

Started by pointman129, December 15, 2011, 02:49:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pointman129

does any one else feel that there is too much favouritism towards Burren players in the counties senior squad? surely Kilcoo and Mayobridge deserve to have more players given a chance with the county as well as other clubs.

Pangurban

Absolutel rubbish, are you seriously seriously suggesting that James Mc Cartan would damage his chances of success, by showing favouritism. Any player who is good enough will be in the squad. There will always be disputes among supporters re. the merits or failings of particular players, but we have to trust  the Managers judgement, he is best placed to decide, and i am certain favouritism will not be a factor

pointman129

That's your opinion, but I feel a lot of the burren players on the down panel shouldn't be there. Yes there is the likes of kevin mcKernan who is one of the best half backs in the country but dan mccartan has been left for dead both times Down have met Cork in the last two championships. And surly starting Anton McArdle against cork was a mistake? There are better midfielders  in the u21 league than McArdle

whitegoodman

Schools must be off early for christmas ::)

Dan McCartan didnt even play against Cork last year in the championship!!

NP 76

If we are that inundated with better mid fielders through out the county name them point man . Anton was young last year but had a big improvement this year with Burren . You can see the years county training standing to him concerning his physique .  As for Mc Kernan certainly didnt look one of the best in the country in many games this year certainly not against Cross when  Burren needed leaders on the field . 

dundrumite

Always around holiday time Whitegoodman.  :)

ardtole

I dont think there is much of a problem regarding wee James, but with Dj and Ross there was a load of shamrocks and Clonduff players that got game time. I can remember Mcguigan, rafferty and Davey from shamrocks featuring quite often and Im pretty sure another 1 or 2 got an odd game, which was strange considering they were struggling quite badly in div 2. How many Clonduff players have represented down over the past 5 or 6 years? A good 6 or 7 id say.

downredblack

Don't remember Davey getting much game time , I can only remember him  doing okay against Tyrone in the McKenna cup after that I dont know .

weebob

Quote from: pointman129 on December 15, 2011, 02:49:45 PM
does any one else feel that there is too much favouritism towards Burren players in the counties senior squad? surely Kilcoo and Mayobridge deserve to have more players given a chance with the county as well as other clubs.
A foul of a poster thats club hasn't produced a decent footballer in nearly 15 years.

alba2

Quote from: pointman129 on December 15, 2011, 02:49:45 PM

Name these Bridge and Kilcoo players that are fit for county football..... When the Bridge were top of the pile in down winning championships - they had a serious squad of players playing with down.  One year there was |GavinBarry, Brendan Grant, Ronan sexton, Benny Coulter, Noel Sexton, Michael Walsh, Sean Featherstone and Micky Linden all involved in the league panel.  Bridge were top dogs and had the biggest number of county standard players.  Burren are top dogs at the minute and those on the panel are rightfully there.  Sure Dan Mc Cartan may have got the runaround in few games and Anton as a 20 year old may have looked outta his depth - but these lads give everything to the down cause... Anton will def get better in years to come and maybe Dan can pass on some knowledge to younger defenders on panel...

NP 76

If you watch during a game its Daniel who is always encouraging the players around him constantly telling where to go and what to do . What he lacks in speed he certainly makes up for in commitment and know how thus making him a valuable asset to have about the panel

rowzocull12

Word is Cathal Foy from Burren is expecting a call from James any time soon? Believes he is the solution to Down's problems. Shows the bias in the county set up in my opinion.