Cork v Dubs 13 April

Started by The Hill is Blue, April 13, 2014, 07:49:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

The hype machine has reached over-drive at a historically early stage of the year for Dublin. That usually means an upset somewhere along the road.

Zulu

QuoteWas Aidan Walsh playing yesterday? He could usually hold his own against anyone.

Came on yesterday but was extremely poor. He hasn't played much recently due to injuries but he was worryingly bad from a Cork POV. I'd disagree Screen about Goold who I thought played well yesterday and he's best position is midfield IMO. That's where he made his name in underage football and I think himself and Walsh (if he lives up to expectations) would be a formidable pairing.

J70

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 14, 2014, 01:45:21 PM
Quote from: J70 on April 14, 2014, 01:35:11 PM
I will be thrilled if Donegal can win Ulster, but I do not see us challenging for the AI. Small squad and  lot of our main  players have been on the go a long time. Even Michael Murphy, young as he is, is starting his eighth season of championship football. I don't think too many Donegal people are thinking past Derry in Celtic Park (Derry have a horrible record against us which they will be keen to address). Hopefully McGuinness has something up his sleeve!

Dubs would have to be favourites at this stage, but its a long summer and there's the hunger factor.

I'd say the hunger factor has been shown to be unlikely to have a negative impact after their performances against Mayo/Tyrone/Cork etc....When you take into account that Dublin will have guys like Daly, Nolan, Deveraux, Nelson, Bastic, Cullen, Rock, Costelloe, Mannion, McMenamon, Whelan etc will all be on the bench looking for games will keep the team focused.

You're definitely well equipped to deal with it.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: screenexile on April 14, 2014, 01:56:16 PM
The return of Paul Flynn was a huge boost for Dublin yesterday.

I think Cork's main problem stemmed from midfield yesterday and it looks like midfield is becoming a key area again, in reality they could not get a ball in the 2nd half and the sooner they get Walsh back up to pace the better they will be. Fintan Goold isn't a natural midfielder and I think that was where the problem came from. Tyrone have been struggling in this area as well and has been a huge problem for them.

In terms of the final midfield would be our strongest area I feel and the 2 lads did well against Dublin's first choice midfield partnership the last day but with Connolly and Flynn in there this time they definitely be stronger in that sector. Sean Leo and Johnston have been playing well but physically I don't know how they will fare out against those 2.

Major difference for Dublin is that O'Carroll, McCarthy, Nolan, O'Sullivan, Flynn, Connolly, B Brogan, Costelloe, Mannion, McMenamon will be back for this game.

O'Mahony played midfield the last day and he's probably the weakest Dublin midfielder by a long way...

screenexile

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on April 14, 2014, 02:53:04 PM
Quote from: screenexile on April 14, 2014, 01:56:16 PM
The return of Paul Flynn was a huge boost for Dublin yesterday.

I think Cork's main problem stemmed from midfield yesterday and it looks like midfield is becoming a key area again, in reality they could not get a ball in the 2nd half and the sooner they get Walsh back up to pace the better they will be. Fintan Goold isn't a natural midfielder and I think that was where the problem came from. Tyrone have been struggling in this area as well and has been a huge problem for them.

In terms of the final midfield would be our strongest area I feel and the 2 lads did well against Dublin's first choice midfield partnership the last day but with Connolly and Flynn in there this time they definitely be stronger in that sector. Sean Leo and Johnston have been playing well but physically I don't know how they will fare out against those 2.

Major difference for Dublin is that O'Carroll, McCarthy, Nolan, O'Sullivan, Flynn, Connolly, B Brogan, Costelloe, Mannion, McMenamon will be back for this game.

O'Mahony played midfield the last day and he's probably the weakest Dublin midfielder by a long way...

Watched O'Mahony play when I used to live in Dublin 7/8 years ago and he was described to me as "the next Sean Cavanagh"... he's not! I was quite surprised as MDMA was just starting to play Senior Football at the time and was clearly going to be a better player and had a fantastic attitude!

I'm quite surprised he's actually on the Dubs panel as I would have thought he

Johnnybegood

Quote from: Syferus on April 14, 2014, 02:14:21 PM
The hype machine has reached over-drive at a historically early stage of the year for Dublin. That usually means an upset somewhere along the road.
ye all along the road for everyone who meets them ;D

MCGARTHY

I honestly cannot see any team touching Dublin, their depth is phenomenal, their energy levels unreal, and their pace is juggernaut like. What other county right now can compete with that ? Answer: None. Put your money on the Boyz in Blue in 2014, if you want a return.

Canalman

Dubs got two softish/ lucky goals on Sunday which had a big bearing on the game. Cork nowhere as bad as they looked in 2nd half.

Many here know what it is like to have one of those days on the pitch when nothing goes right and the harder you try the more it goes wrong.

Very same was done to  us by Cork in the league final 3 years ago.

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: Canalman on April 15, 2014, 06:24:54 PM
Dubs got two softish/ lucky goals on Sunday which had a big bearing on the game. Cork nowhere as bad as they looked in 2nd half.

Many here know what it is like to have one of those days on the pitch when nothing goes right and the harder you try the more it goes wrong.

Very same was done to  us by Cork in the league final 3 years ago.

Very same wasn't done. We were 8 points up with a lot of fringe players playing against full strength Cork team. Cork reeled us in with some great football. However while they were doing this we were still creating & missing chances.  Even at the end we missed two sitters to actually put the game beyond Cork - one by Mossy and the other by Deam Kelly.

Gilroy used game to test a number of players a number of which weren't seen again that year. Very different last Sun with Cork more or less at full strength The nature of capitulation will be biggest issue for Cork if we meet again.

Zulu

I've noticed a few people claim Cork were near full strength but that isn't the case. You could certainly see 4 or more changes from the starting 15 on Sunday. In addition, a few more are coming back from longterm injuries so you'd expect they'll improve as the year goes on.

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: Zulu on April 15, 2014, 11:08:39 PM
I've noticed a few people claim Cork were near full strength but that isn't the case. You could certainly see 4 or more changes from the starting 15 on Sunday. In addition, a few more are coming back from longterm injuries so you'd expect they'll improve as the year goes on.

Best of luck naming them. Word from Cork is that only starting player missing was Cadogan That and Walsh starting rather than coming on would be only changes of note. Anyone else including their u21s not going to make any great difference.

Number of players still to come back for Dublin - COS, Brennan, Jack, Mannion, Costello, Rock & Bastick.

Zulu

Well you've just named two, John O'Rourke will also probably start and Ruairi Deane if he makes progress from his injury is also a potential starter, that's four straight off. I don't know who is giving you information but some of those U21's will certainly be looked at by the senior management. With Kelly, Cahalane, Walsh and O'Neill all to fully recover from injuries there is a lot of improving in that Cork side.   

I don't know why you mentioned who has to come back for Dublin as that's entirely irrelevant to the point I made, i.e Cork aren't as close to full strength on Sunday as some were making out.

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: Zulu on April 15, 2014, 11:42:37 PM
Well you've just named two, John O'Rourke will also probably start and Ruairi Deane if he makes progress from his injury is also a potential starter, that's four straight off. I don't know who is giving you information but some of those U21's will certainly be looked at by the senior management. With Kelly, Cahalane, Walsh and O'Neill all to fully recover from injuries there is a lot of improving in that Cork side.   

I don't know why you mentioned who has to come back for Dublin as that's entirely irrelevant to the point I made, i.e Cork aren't as close to full strength on Sunday as some were making out.

Mentioned Dublin players missing as response to your inference that Cork to be a fair deal stronger and that gap to Dublin mightn't be as significant as Sunday showed.

I think a full strength Dublin is a long way ahead of a full strength Cork. Think also there are 2/3 other teams who are stronger in midfield and defensively than Cork which is where things really fell apart on Sunday. No team can lose the players Cork have lost and immediately step up a couple of levels. Kerry & Tyrone finding this reality also.

Zulu

Never suggested Cork, whatever the 15 picked, would beat Dublin or even get closer later on in the championship when Dublin are at full strength. I simply pointed out that it is incorrect to suggest Cork were close to full strength last Sunday, they weren't. I do think Cork will give Dublin a better game should they meet in championship but man for man, Dublin are the best team in Ireland and if they keep focused I don't think anyone will beat them. On their day, Dublin could annihilate any other team in Ireland.

Hill16 Blues

Quote from: Zulu on April 16, 2014, 12:29:36 AM
Never suggested Cork, whatever the 15 picked, would beat Dublin or even get closer later on in the championship when Dublin are at full strength. I simply pointed out that it is incorrect to suggest Cork were close to full strength last Sunday, they weren't. I do think Cork will give Dublin a better game should they meet in championship but man for man, Dublin are the best team in Ireland and if they keep focused I don't think anyone will beat them. On their day, Dublin could annihilate any other team in Ireland.

Fair enough. Actually think the nature of defeat on Sun will make it more difficult for Cork if they play Dublin in Summer.  Will certainly give Dublin a tough game all the same.