Graham Linehan on Twitter / Trans debate

Started by bennydorano, May 08, 2020, 08:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HokeyPokey

Has anyone here had any personal experiences with trans people and has anyone, or someone they know, been personally affected by any of these issues being raised here?

Tones

Years ago a guy in work left as Joe on a Friday and came back few weeks later as Joanne, mail went round in the intervening period to explain what was happening, to be respectful etc. words like inclusion, diversity, equality etc were rightly within the mail.  It was all rather surreal as Joe he was 6'4 in his 40's married with kids (marriage ended with the change), after some time took 6 months leave and then came back to a different office.  As liberal minded as anyone could be to see someone - especially so tall - whom you worked with for years walk in to the office in heels, a dress, some sort of false boobs, a wig, makeup and a handbag turned heads!

Keyser soze

Work with teenagers and there have been a few males identify as female [or vv], and ask to be referred to as she etc and dress across the gender. 

After the initial WTAF (soto voce of course) it just becomes another one of those things. Having said that there weren't any issues with toileting etc which could have raised the temperature I spose.

The other teens don't seem to raise an eyebrow about it tbh. I suspect, with zero empirical evidence of course, that quite a lot of it is attention seeking behaviour.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Tones on Today at 10:22:00 AMYears ago a guy in work left as Joe on a Friday and came back few weeks later as Joanne, mail went round in the intervening period to explain what was happening, to be respectful etc. words like inclusion, diversity, equality etc were rightly within the mail.  It was all rather surreal as Joe he was 6'4 in his 40's married with kids (marriage ended with the change), after some time took 6 months leave and then came back to a different office.  As liberal minded as anyone could be to see someone - especially so tall - whom you worked with for years walk in to the office in heels, a dress, some sort of false boobs, a wig, makeup and a handbag turned heads!

Do you think he took the easy option or just wanted to piss people off? (This is not directed at you btw Tones)

Remember years ago watching an interview about a fella that struggled with his sexuality, he was gay but hid it for so long as the alternative would be far worse due to the way society viewed difference.

Verbal and physical abuse  was standard, so can you imagine what it must be like to make that change?

I can understand why so many people try and have a 'normal' life as that is the easier option on the outside but christ it must be a mental struggle keeping up appearances

Trans is a thing, are people sometimes abusing it for themselves? Yeah absolutely. But I wouldn't wish whats going on in their heads to my worst of enemies   
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

Sean Bean gave a stellar performance as a Trans-person in Accused, must give it a re-watch

theskull1

"are people sometimes abusing it for themselves? Yeah absolutely"

And this is where the issues have been .... surely there's no disagreement by the majority that these should never have been allowed?

Pro 'you're trans so lets get you on the pathway straight away' practitioners within pediatric gender care Services in the NHS
Biological males allowed in female prisons
Biological males allowed in female only  spaces
Biological males allowed to compete in female sports
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

J70

What about biological females in male prisons?
Biological females in male sports?
Biological females in male-only spaces?

Are those an issue?

If not, then one presumes that the wolf-in-sheep's-clothing-intent-on-creeping-or-rape is the real objection?

In which case, this issue has been around in terms of high prominence for coming up on a decade now. What are the stats?

Are men dressed as women a significant proportion of the rapist population out there?

I've been at my current employer for six years. They've allowed gender ID-based bathroom use that entire time. Despite tens of thousands of people around daily, I've never heard of a single report.

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: HokeyPokey on April 15, 2024, 11:25:33 PMHas anyone here had any personal experiences with trans people and has anyone, or someone they know, been personally affected by any of these issues being raised here?

There's a few in our office and I've worked with one almost every day for the last couple of years.
Never had an issue with them.

Pub Bore

I'm a big fan of Billy Bragg's music but he seems to have gone down the rabbit hole opposite Linehan.

Pub Bore

Quote from: Armagh18 on April 14, 2024, 01:21:17 PMThat Sam Smith is an attention seeking freak.

It's to deflect from the mind numbing blandness of his music. 100% t*at

theskull1

You know fine rightly they are/they have been issues J70 and in no way am I tarring the 'whole group' when I say that  ::)

Every area of life ends up getting gamed/corrupted by opportunists (e.g. health systems, religion, relationships, benefits, tax , sick leave) so there's nothing particular surprising that it happens in this space as well. The gaslighting of common sense is a common theme.

Gabriel_Hurl

Did you get bored with your COVID nonsense and this is your new thing?

tonto1888

Quote from: HokeyPokey on April 15, 2024, 11:25:33 PMHas anyone here had any personal experiences with trans people and has anyone, or someone they know, been personally affected by any of these issues being raised here?

when I entered AA there was a lovely lady who happened to be trans. I possibly would not have got sober without her help

J70

Quote from: theskull1 on Today at 03:09:41 PMYou know fine rightly they are/they have been issues J70 and in no way am I tarring the 'whole group' when I say that  ::)

Every area of life ends up getting gamed/corrupted by opportunists (e.g. health systems, religion, relationships, benefits, tax , sick leave) so there's nothing particular surprising that it happens in this space as well. The gaslighting of common sense is a common theme.

I guess I don't pay as much attention to this issue as you do.

Any examples?

theskull1