China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: JoG2 on April 07, 2020, 02:16:45 PM
There's 49 in ICU in the whole of the 6 counties atm, 5 in Altnagelvin. The ICU numbers in Altnagelvin have remained fairly constant the last week or so eg 4 last Wed, 3 on the Thursday etc. How these numbers look in 2 weeks time, who knows?
The North-West definitely took it's lead from the South, so hopefully that pays dividends.

Some of the stats being bandied about are crazy and the crazier the better as regards social media, Whatsapp etc. This thread definitely isn't good for your health!

I think there is probably some context missing in that ventilator stat. Someone talked about CPAP there. I am not sure that is considered a ventilator so if you were on that you're ok. I am no expert on this mind but I am just not convinced by the stat.

Also I know quite a few now who have had this (between half a dozen and a dozen) and have been ok - very bad fever but that was the height of it. That's not to say it isn't horrendous and everyone clearly wants to avoid as much as possible in case you are one of those stats but the scenarios talked about are more in the minority than the majority.

Itchy

I'd say the stat on ventilators may be a little mis leading as it depends when you were put on the ventilator and in turn on what the demand for ventilators is. For example I would hazard a guess that in Italy people only get on a ventilator when someone else dies or recovers.

I am sure Boris as British Prime Minister is getting preferential treatment and has been put on a ventilator earlier than the average Joe - lets just hope it was not at the expense of the treatment of an average Joe.

Solo_run

Quote from: Itchy on April 07, 2020, 02:51:03 PM
I'd say the stat on ventilators may be a little mis leading as it depends when you were put on the ventilator and in turn on what the demand for ventilators is. For example I would hazard a guess that in Italy people only get on a ventilator when someone else dies or recovers.

I am sure Boris as British Prime Minister is getting preferential treatment and has been put on a ventilator earlier than the average Joe - lets just hope it was not at the expense of the treatment of an average Joe.

They would be right to do so unfortunately. The average Joe isn't leading the country (whether you agree with him or not) during this crisis and I doubt he wants to either. The big problem I would have is he is taking resources such as having a team of doctors that could instead be used to monitor 4 or 5 patients instead of just one - likewise with nursing resources. When he recovers I hope he comes out of this more humble instead of saying shite like we will take it on the chin and realise how his party has methodically dismantles the NHS. As he is still PM the NHS needs him more than ever to provide the resources and support they need. At the next general election this is a catastrophe that will be remembered. He wanted to make Brexit his legacy and that has been overshadowed and perhaps now he will have to make saving the NHS his legacy.

Taylor

Quote from: Solo_run on April 07, 2020, 03:06:26 PM
Quote from: Itchy on April 07, 2020, 02:51:03 PM

They would be right to do so unfortunately. The average Joe isn't leading the country (whether you agree with him or not) during this crisis and I doubt he wants to either. The big problem I would have is he is taking resources such as having a team of doctors that could instead be used to monitor 4 or 5 patients instead of just one - likewise with nursing resources. When he recovers I hope he comes out of this more humble instead of saying shite like we will take it on the chin and realise how his party has methodically dismantles the NHS. As he is still PM the NHS needs him more than ever to provide the resources and support they need. At the next general election this is a catastrophe that will be remembered. He wanted to make Brexit his legacy and that has been overshadowed and perhaps now he will have to make saving the NHS his legacy.

Unfortunately that is not going to happen.
Boris is led by the money men in the city - what they want he does.

His focus will be on them recovering any lost money during this economic downturn

maddog

Wifes uncle has it. Too old to have the ventilator. Would be a sprightly man for his age. He was taken in couple of days ago struggling. Had a much more settled night last night and now we are told he in palliative care so must have deteriorated rapidly

imtommygunn

What age? Is that in NI?

Edit: I should also say very sorry to hear that :(

maddog

Quote from: imtommygunn on April 07, 2020, 03:22:09 PM
What age? Is that in NI?

thanks
He would be in North Yorkshire. He'd be the 80 mark but as fit as a fiddle up until last week. Sound aul skin too.

weareros

Like anyone with this awful virus, hope Boris can pull through. Must be terrifying right now for his pregnant partner. He was a very foolish man, like Trump and some other leaders. I do think Downing Street is probably being more positive than the situation merits, but that is understandable.

Captain Obvious

283 deaths and 6,964 cases in the island of Ireland now.

maddog

Quote from: maddog on April 07, 2020, 03:58:08 PM
What age? Is that in NI?

thanks
He would be in North Yorkshire. He'd be the 80 mark but as fit as a fiddle up until last week. Sound aul skin too.

He passed away few hours ago. RIP

GJL

Quote from: maddog on April 07, 2020, 07:58:51 PM
What age? Is that in NI?

thanks

Very sad. Sorry to hear that.  :(

Dougal Maguire

What age? Is that in NI?

thanks

That's awful news. RIP
Careful now

imtommygunn

Ball Hopper

Sorry for your loss.  RIP.

Fear Bun Na Sceilpe

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on April 07, 2020, 08:35:49 PM
What age? Is that in NI?

thanks

That's awful news. RIP

Go ndéanfaidh Dia trócaire air