Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zulu

QuoteAgain, you're being a little dramatic about the future of the game based on comments made on here.

No I'm not, in the space of 10 years, diving has become far more prevalent and we now have fellas defending clear dives or exaggerated reactions to contact, the trend is clear.

QuoteOf course it's relevant. You claim he dived and embellished the effect of little contact. If that was the case, he would not have been removed from the field for minutes to get bandaged up. Canavan has shipped some heavy treatment in the past and played on. Therefore, the contact was a lot more telling (unintentionally) that you realise.

Are you for real???? Once again you are using irrelevancies to defend the indefensible, what Peter endured in previous games has nothing to do with what he did in that game. And again you try to use barroom lawering by claiming the contact was so sever he had to leave the field. He left the field because he was, apparently, bleeding and therefore had to by rule, not because the injury was serious. He was sitting up shouting at the ref once he got tired of faking a facial injury so he clearly wasn't seriously hurt.

As I've said, we've all seen the clip and you have your view which it seems your happy to hold on to, therefore there is little more to be said. The incident itself was 9 years ago and didn't effect the outcome but I'm a little worried that the game I grew up with is going down a path that will lead to further embarrassing episodes like the one we're discussing if GAA men can view that clip and conclude anything other than diving.

Throw ball

Brolly really is a tool. He should have left this article until the start of June and post a copy of it to the referee of the Armagh Tyrone game. Maybe then they would not get a free and Armagh would have a chance. ;D

Seriously though I think he is great entertainment.

haranguerer

Quote from: Zulu on May 13, 2012, 04:37:28 PM
QuoteAgain, you're being a little dramatic about the future of the game based on comments made on here.

No I'm not, in the space of 10 years, diving has become far more prevalent and we now have fellas defending clear dives or exaggerated reactions to contact, the trend is clear.

[

And theres the problem. People like you jumping in identifying everything as a dive would be much more damaging for the game than not bringing in anything at all - every time anyone fell over they'd be banned for weeks. Teams wouldnt be able to field ffs. If its to be eradicated properly, we need to be able to identify dives, and that you've identified canavan as diving from that clip, i.e throwing himself to the ground unnecessarily, means you're not the man for the job. Anyone whos ever played the game should be able to read what happened there, and it didnt include a dive.

And quit your shite about 'gaa men' would see it as diving. What makes you the voice for 'gaa men?'  ;D. As for staying down, how would you determine whether someone stayed down too long? Given that your such a great 'gaa man', have you ever been tossed, fell over, tripped, in a game and not bounced straight back up?? Never been exhausted, no?

sheamy

Quote from: ONeill on May 13, 2012, 01:02:23 PM
Where's this slow motion replay of the Cavanagh incident which shows minimal contact? He has made that bit up.

He has not made that bit up in the slightest. The red card was rescinded after viewing said video. Still waiting for the Ulster Council to stick it on youtube. If the video showed same as I saw from the stand it was a disgusting act of playacting to get a man sent off. Probably best for Colm it's not ever made public to be honest.

ThroughTheLaces

Quote from: haranguerer on May 14, 2012, 08:45:52 AM
Quote from: Zulu on May 13, 2012, 04:37:28 PM

[

And theres the problem. People like you jumping in identifying everything as a dive would be much more damaging for the game than not bringing in anything at all - every time anyone fell over they'd be banned for weeks. Teams wouldnt be able to field ffs. If its to be eradicated properly, we need to be able to identify dives, and that you've identified canavan as diving from that clip, i.e throwing himself to the ground unnecessarily, means you're not the man for the job. Anyone whos ever played the game should be able to read what happened there, and it didnt include a dive.

And quit your shite about 'gaa men' would see it as diving. What makes you the voice for 'gaa men?'  ;D. As for staying down, how would you determine whether someone stayed down too long? Given that your such a great 'gaa man', have you ever been tossed, fell over, tripped, in a game and not bounced straight back up?? Never been exhausted, no?

Too exhausted yes, would have probably made it to the knees though.  Can't figure where I'd get the extra energy to hold my face and writhe about on the ground. In all honesty I think Zulu would speak for a larger section of the GAA than yourself or O'Neill. I have never seen such denial. Canavans incident may not have been a dive, as contact, albeit minimal, was made. He may have genuinely lost his balance (I don't believe so). But even if he did there is no excuse for his behaviour on the deck. Things like this, O'Mahony, etc are making this a part of our game. I've never personally had a manager that encouraged it but you can be sure there are a lot about.

Out of curiosity, I wonder how Canavan would have reacted to Paidi's classic box back in the day.
The apple never falls far from the tree.

ballymac

Someone earlier in this thread mentioned the Meath team that stood up and kicked their way to success, and not just kicking the ball over the bar. I remember a game against Mayo and the big basketballer they had getting sent off when 20 men were fighting, ref probably spotted him easier. A certain Coyle kicked and punched a player in front of a linesman (he nearly kicked him as well) and was not even booked, field fights and off the ball incidents. Is that what we want to go back to?

People say that Tyrone were divers etc, but another slant on it is that they played to their strengths ( or lack of them) by making sure they got their frees, they helped the ref make the decision. They played a faster more athletic game which other teams quickly caught on to. The game itself and the way it is refereed also moved in that direction. Meath style teams did not survive, the big physical player who threw his weight around had to develop to be a more agile player. There is still a physical element to the game but certainly not in the way it was in the 80's and 90's. The game is faster and with quick frees and sidelines, the order of the day is to avoid contact. Players tackle better now and it is a more technical game.

I am not defending any form of play acting whether from a Tyrone player or any other. This needs to be eradicated from the game. If your team wins games and gets to finals and win all irelands then you will forgive them things.
All teams play to their own strengths which produce different styles of football, look at Cork Dublin And Donegal. But the one thing that will have an influence on all styles is the way in which games are officiated. I read an article that Kildare had their homework done on the ref for the league final. They knew what his style was and what he would allow. If refs allow more physical contact in tackles etc it will influence how teams will play, the physical make up of players etc. A recent article about a certain Down player who is featuring more in the Down setup had to look at his own body shape and altered his training to get himself more athletic.

Hardy

Quote from: ballymac on May 14, 2012, 11:50:28 AM
I am not defending any form of play acting whether from a Tyrone player or any other.

What's your post for then?

Ard-Rí

Quote from: Hardy on May 14, 2012, 12:23:49 PM
I am not defending any form of play acting whether from a Tyrone player or any other.

Did you miss it? He was having a go at Meath.
Ar son Éireann Gaelaí

Hardy

Quote from: Ard-Rí on May 14, 2012, 12:25:52 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 14, 2012, 12:23:49 PM

Did you miss it? He was having a go at Meath.

It's called penis envy in psychology circles.

ONeill

Quote from: sheamy on May 14, 2012, 09:08:01 AM
Where's this slow motion replay of the Cavanagh incident which shows minimal contact? He has made that bit up.

He has not made that bit up in the slightest. The red card was rescinded after viewing said video. Still waiting for the Ulster Council to stick it on youtube. If the video showed same as I saw from the stand it was a disgusting act of playacting to get a man sent off. Probably best for Colm it's not ever made public to be honest.

Different Cavanagh. Different incident. Different decade.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

shawshank

O'Neill your as blind as a bat, specsavers for you sur!!! :)

sheamy

Quote from: ONeill on May 14, 2012, 02:12:15 PM
Quote from: sheamy on May 14, 2012, 09:08:01 AM

Different Cavanagh. Different incident. Different decade.

Same family, same action, same result.
With the two boys up to the same thing and in the same article one can easily get confused  :)

Anyway, I don't care who does it or where they are from. It's sickening to watch and leaves a very bad taste. I hope Brolly and the rest are consistent in pointing this out over the summer, regardless of who is involved.

rrhf

Anger management, the F man!

Hey dont worry the Tyrone legacy is not under threat, just every idiot that follows Gaelic games has seen the fun Spillane has had in influencing the populace since 03 and wants a go at it.  As a wise man once said 1 million lemmings walking over a cliff cant be wrong...   

Keepthefaith93

When I was young and learning to play the game I was told that you should never show the opposition any sign of weakness, that when you where hurt jump up and let on your fine, I think most people will agree that this in the main this was the way things used to be.
You probably always had the odd boy on teams buying free's etc, but I honestly don't know how some of these boys watch themselves on the Sunday game with some of the antics that they get up to, seriously like have they know shame?
Did Tyrone bring cheating into modern football? I don't know, but they certainly took it to a new level and the sad thing about is they where a class team that had no need to be so low.
The funny thing about Tyrone having more divers than most of the other counties in Ireland put together is that if yo go to Cookstown/Omagh/Strabane for a night out you are taking your life into your own hands as they are roughest crowd of hallions you could ever have the misfortune to come across and love nothing more than fighting ( this includes men and women ), yet when they take to the pitch they can be knocked over by a gust of wind. Doesn't make sense.

supersarsfields

Quote from: Keepthefaith93 on May 14, 2012, 04:48:28 PM
When I was young and learning to play the game I was told that you should never show the opposition any sign of weakness, that when you where hurt jump up and let on your fine, I think most people will agree that this in the main this was the way things used to be.
You probably always had the odd boy on teams buying free's etc, but I honestly don't know how some of these boys watch themselves on the Sunday game with some of the antics that they get up to, seriously like have they know shame?
Did Tyrone bring cheating into modern football? I don't know, but they certainly took it to a new level and the sad thing about is they where a class team that had no need to be so low.
is that if yo go to Cookstown/Omagh/Strabane for a night out you are taking your life into your own hands as they are roughest crowd of The funny thing about Tyrone having more divers than most of the other counties in Ireland put together hallions you could ever have the misfortune to come across and love nothing more than fighting ( this includes men and women ), yet when they take to the pitch they can be knocked over by a gust of wind. Doesn't make sense.

;D It's a bad sign when you can't reach the end of a post without contradicting yourself. That's before you come out with the rest of the crap in the post as well. Feck me your even having a go at Tyrone's social activities. As Fionn said a bit back, Haters got to hate.