Westmeath v Armagh - Cusack Park, Sat 9th June (7:00pm throw in)

Started by illdecide, June 04, 2018, 09:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

illdecide

First point, just so glad we don't have to play Fermanagh again.
Second point, if lose it better be from a shoot out and not another game like I had to watch a few weeks ago.
Thirdly, this is the worst year for lack of interest and low key for Armagh in 25 years...

May the best team win
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

smelmoth

Decent prize on offer for the winner (if they can avoid a wounded Monaghan).

How we use our half forwards is key. Something we seem to struggle with and the management seem indecisive on

J70

Quote from: illdecide on June 04, 2018, 09:12:15 AM
First point, just so glad we don't have to play Fermanagh again.
Second point, if lose it better be from a shoot out and not another game like I had to watch a few weeks ago.
Thirdly, this is the worst year for lack of interest and low key for Armagh in 25 years...

May the best team win

I've been on the board since the early 2000s. Back then this thread would have been on its third page, at least, by now. Amazing how interest and discussion varies with success (and that's not a dig at Armagh - every county is the same).

Jinxy

It's the same for everyone alright and while a lack of success is a factor, it's not the only factor.
Back then you could discuss the pros & cons of individual players and how they might impact the game.
Who would mark your best forward?
Who would win the most kick-outs at midfield?
Now it's just sheep in a heap, slowly moving up and down the field via an elaborate system of two yard hand-passes.
There are no individual battles any more.
What is there to talk about really?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

There is a current apathy around inter-county football.

In May 2009, this board had over 20k new posts.

Last month it was less than 10K.

I miss the Leinster spite.

#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

Rossfan

Quote from: Jinxy on June 05, 2018, 10:41:03 AM
It's the same for everyone alright and while a lack of success is a factor, it's not the only factor.
Back then you could discuss the pros & cons of individual players and how they might impact the game.

Now it's just sheep in a heap, slowly moving up and down the field via an elaborate system of two yard hand-passes.

Hurley stuff maybe.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

haranguerer

Quote from: Jinxy on June 05, 2018, 10:41:03 AM
Who would mark your best forward?
Who would win the most kick-outs at midfield?

Are you suggesting that the public in general don't really know what is going on in games now, and the pundits who's job it is to explain don't bother (perhaps because they don't really know either)? I'd agree wholeheartedly if so. You often get some decent analysis pieces during the week after games as different coaches do their columns, but in general the commentators and pundits don't seem to be putting the work in that befits their roles.

lurganblue

Apathy is def a factor in Armagh i would say at the minute.  There was good interest in the league and even 1st round of Ulster but it's hard to get motivated as a fan for a run in the back door.  Dont get me wrong, last year had many enjoyable days but the eventual thumping leaves you thinking what really is the point. 

Add to that the absolutely abysmal performance the last time out and i can understand why fans dont have much to shout about.

NAG1

It is hard to argue against Brolly and Spillane's pre match rant ahead of the game at the weekend.

Football has suffered from paralysis by analysis for sure. IMO it can be traced back to the 'professionalisation' of coaching and managing of teams.

Ethan Tremblay

I believe Clarke and Mc Conville touched on this point during the Armagh/Fermanagh match coverage, individual brilliance is now more or less lost on the modern game, as the thing has turned into a game of chess. 
I tend to think of myself as a one man wolfpack...

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

illdecide

illdecide

Was actually thinking of going to the Meath game on Sat but no confident i'd get to Mullingar for 7...Would be tight, think it's about 45 mins but match traffic would make it worse...What you reckon?