Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PW Nally

Quote from: Rudi on May 05, 2017, 11:26:48 AM
Amateur sportsman verses the big bad Independent. Breheny should have got the road long ago and be replaced by a young fresher gasun. Holmes and Connolly should have taken their beaten like real men, right or wrong this kind of stuff happens to us all in life. Crying like pansies makes them look weak.
This.

Beffs

Quote from: Syferus on May 05, 2017, 08:44:33 PM
Why the hate of journos? Should they only report the nice stories or something?

Yep.

Like it or not, the Mayo managment drama was a MASSIVE story. It was not some manufactured story thought up by the media to sell papers. The press report on big stories. That is how it works. If this drama went on in Dublin or Kerry, they'd be all over that too. If their dumped managers were up for giving their version of events, the Indo would have fallen all over themselves to provide a sympathetic reporter to do the needful. If it wasn't the Indo, it would be some other media outlet leading the charge.

Anyone taking offense that this is all a big anti Mayo conspiracy on the part of Breheney or the Indo, is being a bit myopic and over sensitive imo. Yeah, it's all a massive pain the neck. Yeah, you wish it never happened. Yeah, their speaking out does no one any real good, other than putting another version of events out there. Yeah, you wish everyone would just move on. But who ever said being a GAA supporter was never going to get messy? C'est la vie !

Quote from: PW Nally on May 06, 2017, 02:08:41 AM
Quote from: Rudi on May 05, 2017, 11:26:48 AM
Amateur sportsman verses the big bad Independent. Breheny should have got the road long ago and be replaced by a young fresher gasun. Holmes and Connolly should have taken their beaten like real men, right or wrong this kind of stuff happens to us all in life. Crying like pansies makes them look weak.
This.

When the players get stuff off their chest that is bothering them, they are praised for their openess and honesty. But when a  management team is dumped in controversial circumstances, they are crying pansies? Bit of a double standard there, no?

I've no time for Breheny. Journos like him should have been put out to pasture a long time ago. But H&C speaking out for the first time, was always going to be a big story. A sports editor wouldn't be doing his job, if he didn't roll out the journalistic red carpet to give them the platform that they needed or wanted to get what ever was bugging them, off their chest.

Jinxy

As I said at the time, there were plenty of rumours around Mayo and further afield regarding things that went on in the camp under Holmes & Connelly.
Rumours that made them out to be incompetent and out of touch with the players.
They're entitled to have their say to correct the record if they feel they've been maligned.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Farrandeelin

It was a messy state of affairs at the time. I had sympathy for the duo initially. Once the players turned on them, the game was up. Unfortunately the pair went to Breheny, of all people. The rest is history as they say. To be honest Aidan should know better. Instead of going to these events, which there will be journos making headlines out of every word he says perhaps he should decline in future. None of this furore would be brought up. Or go to the event and say nothing.

My final tuppence on the matter. Unless someone else brings it up!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Jinxy on May 06, 2017, 11:44:59 AM
As I said at the time, there were plenty of rumours around Mayo and further afield regarding things that went on in the camp under Holmes & Connelly.
They're entitled to have their say to correct the record if they feel they've been maligned.
Yup, they are certainly entitled to have their say. I have gone to great lengths to say that I judged their statement on its merits and, IMO, they came up short. If I thought they had right on their side, I would say so. 
No insult intended to anyone in particular but I think it's a bit rich for for those who have nothing to go by apart from Breheny's 'exposé' to start lecturing  Mayo fans who take the players side.
There are quite a few Mayo posters here and I don't recall any of them backing H&C. THe general feeling in the county, in spite of what Syferus claims, is that it's time to move on. I read several articles in all three of the Mayo weeklies in the aftermath of the statement's release and not one solitary reporter took the managers' side.
I believe that any fair minded, rational and impartial reader would not spot irrelevancies, non-sequiturs and downright contradictions in what  the managers' had to say.
BTW, I never claimed that the players were totally blameless either.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on May 06, 2017, 12:16:18 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 06, 2017, 11:44:59 AM
Yup, they are certainly entitled to have their say. I have gone to great lengths to say that I judged their statement on its merits and, IMO, they came up short. If I thought they had right on their side, I would say so. 
No insult intended to anyone in particular but I think it's a bit rich for for those who have nothing to go by apart from Breheny's 'exposé' to start lecturing  Mayo fans who take the players side.
There are quite a few Mayo posters here and I don't recall any of them backing H&C. THe general feeling in the county, in spite of what Syferus claims, is that it's time to move on. I read several articles in all three of the Mayo weeklies in the aftermath of the statement's release and not one solitary reporter took the managers' side.
I believe that any fair minded, rational and impartial reader would not spot irrelevancies, non-sequiturs and downright contradictions in what  the managers' had to say.
BTW, I never claimed that the players were totally blameless either.

Local journalists are fecked if players start refusing to do interviews. Why would they want to kick a hornets' nest when H&C aren't around but the players are? Trying to prove a point by using anecdotal information from a group that's naturally biased against speaking up.

You're talking out of both sides of your mouth saying you supported them speaking up only to turn against them because they didn't tow the party line.

From the Bunker

Finding this conversation tedious!

The players did not buy into H & C!

There was no way that H & C were going to continue after the squad did not want them.

They were asked to leave quietly, they chose otherwise.

I don't know who is wrong or who is right.

There is probably and mixture of wrong and right with both groups.

In a group players hold the power. That's who the fans go to see. They are praised in victory and Management are vilified in defeat.

That is the nature of the Beast!

This happens up and down the length of the country.

There is not a club or county team that does not have a player or Manager who feels aggrieved at some time in their career.

Players, Managers etc come and go. The Clubs (hopefully) and County goes on and on!

seafoid

Why is it stil being talked about?  Galway hurlers had something similar around the same time and moved on from it. Surely this year's championship is all that matters for Mayo. It might be the last chance.

From the Bunker

Quote from: seafoid on May 06, 2017, 02:14:18 PM
Why is it stil being talked about?  Galway hurlers had something similar around the same time and moved on from it. Surely this year's championship is all that matters for Mayo. It might be the last chance.

It's being talked about because this is mainly a football forum dominated by Ulster posters! Hurling discussions hardly exist on this board!

Harsh, but true!

Farrandeelin

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 06, 2017, 04:18:19 PM

It's being talked about because this is mainly a football forum dominated by Ulster posters! Hurling discussions hardly exist on this board!

Harsh, but true!

Syferus isn't from Ulster. He loves this thread.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Syferus

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 06, 2017, 08:46:44 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on May 06, 2017, 04:18:19 PM

Harsh, but true!

Syferus isn't from Ulster. He loves this thread.

It's amusing to watch Mayo lads engage in the head in the ground stuff some of the Ulsterites do. Ye do yerselves no favours trying to make out that the players are whiter than white when anyone looking at it objectively can see otherwise. I would agree with most of what Bunker said.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 06, 2017, 01:56:04 PM
Finding this conversation tedious!

The players did not buy into H & C!

There was no way that H & C were going to continue after the squad did not want them.

They were asked to leave quietly, they chose otherwise.

I don't know who is wrong or who is right.

There is probably and mixture of wrong and right with both groups.

In a group players hold the power. That's who the fans go to see. They are praised in victory and Management are vilified in defeat.

That is the nature of the Beast!

This happens up and down the length of the country.

There is not a club or county team that does not have a player or Manager who feels aggrieved at some time in their career.

Players, Managers etc come and go. The Clubs (hopefully) and County goes on and on!
I suppose to be fair to Noel and Pat they did dig their heels in when the story broke but that would be most people's reaction. There is no way of telling what might have happened if some fecker, on the board or close to it, hadn't spilled the beans about the players' request for a meeting.
No guarantee that Noel and Pat would have stepped down quietly but the likelihood is that they would given that they has no feasible option. Perhaps if Keith and Cillian had the proposed meeting with the CB, they could well have been a different outcome. Who knows and at this stage who cares? ( Only Syferus of course!)
I know there was deep dissatisfaction in the camp because the CB was trying to pare back expenses that Horan had forced them to accept. There were lots of off-the-ball incidents at the time that didn't make for a happy relationship between players and management and there is nothing than can be done about it now. Pity Aido didn't keep his thoughts to himself even if he was feeling thick about what had been said about him but it should now be a case of all minds on the championship and leave the past where it belongs- in the past.

Il Bomber Destro

Are Rochford and O'Shea still lying about Aidan O'Shea's dive last year?

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 06, 2017, 10:53:09 PM

He dived, he cheated to get advantage. Name me a player who never cheated to get advantage?

Looking forward to this answer!

Lar Naparka

Quote from: From the Bunker on May 06, 2017, 11:21:16 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 06, 2017, 10:53:09 PM

He dived, he cheated to get advantage. Name me a player who never cheated to get advantage?

Looking forward to this answer!
He did neither. He fell because their feet got tangled up but the ref had seen a foul a split second earlier where the defender had his hand stretched out to prevent O'Shea getting by him.  Unfortunately, the RTE camera switched focus as the ball was sent in towards the goalmouth. But you get a fleeting second the two boys preparing to jostle before the camera honed in on the spot where the ball was going to land. A harsh decision but that was the ref's prerogative.

None of the effin' experts who claim to have 20/20 vision passed any remark about David Coldrick leaving  the sideline and standing off to one side with a group of Fermanagh defenders. Now no prizes for guessing why he did that and it wasn't that he was asking them if they were on for a few pints after the game either.