Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

Could McEntee not find an aul helicopter lying around Crossmaglen that he could use to fly up and down?

Taylor

Quote from: Tubberman on May 03, 2017, 12:09:21 PM
Quote from: Taylor on May 03, 2017, 12:07:39 PM
This really is the last chance saloon for this group of Mayo players.

Rochford will not get the fools pardon he got last year for the goalkeeping fiasco and I have it on good authority McEntee may not be taking up the post next year due to being sick of the travelling.

Its all or nothing now

Same as it was last year, and the year before and the year before that....

Not so......more miles on clock for major players AND Rochford/McEntee breaking up as a management team

Syferus

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 03, 2017, 12:12:11 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 03, 2017, 11:43:15 AM
Aidan O'Shea takes issue over ex-Mayo managers' claims

The former managers said in the interview that O'Shea contacted them to complain about their objections to his participation in the series.

Email correspondence between O'Shea and the management over the release of a player from a match-day squad was also referenced.
The player also said he took issue with this newspaper's presentation of the interview, claiming he should have been given a right of reply with the publication of the article.

"It's not something I dwell on - I've completely moved on myself personally and the group have completely moved forward."
On the weekend that the interview was published, a Mayo media official made it clear in a response to a query from this newspaper that none of the players would be responding.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/aidan-oshea-takes-issue-over-exmayo-managers-claims-35675632.html

There's no quote in that article to back up the bit in bold. Totally misleading headline and article.

He said it wasn't the time to talk about it so they made it up

You're really reaching now. AOS/SOS/COC/Dillon got caught with their hands in the cookie jar as regards player power. It's not like the joint managers were the first ones to mention undue control or entitlement by those players - all they did was confirm the stream of rumours coming out of Mayo the previous 18-24 months.

Just because they're (mostly) good players doesn't mean they should be absolved and blindly defended.

Cunny Funt

If McEntee wants off then don't stand in his way afterall I'm sure Mayo can get someone more local and cheaper to do a similar job as him. Donie Buckley is the most important member of the Mayo management team, the longer he's kept on the longer Mayo will remain consistency competitive against the best.

Zulu

How do you know McEntee can be easily replaced and that Buckley is so important? I'm not saying you're not right but it seems an odd statement if you're not part of the panel.

I think Mayo will remain competitive for the foreseeable future but it's hard to see them not slip back into the pack rather than step up to All Ireland winners with the players coming through.

rosnarun

Quote from: Zulu on May 03, 2017, 02:59:27 PM
How do you know McEntee can be easily replaced and that Buckley is so important? I'm not saying you're not right but it seems an odd statement if you're not part of the panel.

I think Mayo will remain competitive for the foreseeable future but it's hard to see them not slip back into the pack rather than step up to All Ireland winners with the players coming through.
thanks for the concern but theres loads of players coming through . just not all at the same time . more of a seamless transition. the cream of last years u21s are in a development group to be deployed as needed
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Cunny Funt

Buckley was brought in by James Horan and his impact in improving team in organisation,tackling and added toughest is clear for all to see.

McEntee was brought in by Rochford in the hope he would add more and deliver a further impact to the panel of players however thus far Mayos form has been patchy at best the sweeper system has been hit or miss. And some have the opinion that too many cooks will eventually spoil the broth.

At the moment Mayo have the right blend of experience and youth but the foreseeable future it remains to be seen how Mayo cope when the current experience players call time on their careers.

Zulu

Quote from: rosnarun on May 03, 2017, 03:53:21 PM

thanks for the concern but theres loads of players coming through . just not all at the same time . more of a seamless transition. the cream of last years u21s are in a development group to be deployed as needed

The type of player who will make the difference don't seem to be coming through. A big traditional football county like Mayo will always produce players but to win All Irelands you need some of the top 2 or 3% of the players in Ireland. Players like Higgins, Moran, Boyle etc. won't be easily replaced and I see no sign of a really good forward or two coming through. Maybe there is but Kerry and Galway seem to have that quality coming through more than Mayo.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 03, 2017, 04:03:10 PM

Buckley was brought in by James Horan and his impact in improving team in organisation,tackling and added toughest is clear for all to see.

McEntee was brought in by Rochford in the hope he would add more and deliver a further impact to the panel of players however thus far Mayos form has been patchy at best the sweeper system has been hit or miss. And some have the opinion that too many cooks will eventually spoil the broth.

At the moment Mayo have the right blend of experience and youth but the foreseeable future it remains to be seen how Mayo cope when the current experience players call time on their careers.

Why are you hiding your personal opinion behind that old reliable, 'some say'?

Zulu

To be fair, McEntee came in when this Mayo team were close to performing at full capacity. Harder for McEntee to make clear improvements but I think many feel they've been tactically astute and pushing a more talented Dublin team so close is a good reflection of the current management. What McEntee contributes I don't know but it could well be a lot.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Zulu on May 03, 2017, 04:46:37 PM

To be fair, McEntee came in when this Mayo team were close to performing at full capacity. Harder for McEntee to make clear improvements but I think many feel they've been tactically astute and pushing a more talented Dublin team so close is a good reflection of the current management. What McEntee contributes I don't know but it could well be a lot.

Not sure how much it had to do with tactics. In fairness that more talented Dublin team were gassed out and there for the taking after their highly competitive semi final encounter against Kerry. If Mayo were in their form of 2013 I think they would have won last Septembers final by a bit to spare.

Zulu

That's fairly speculative to be fair but I think they showed some decent game management. It's impossible to say who is doing what behind the scenes anyway so it's all a bit speculative in these things.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on May 03, 2017, 01:09:53 PM
Quote from: Never beat the deeler on May 03, 2017, 12:12:11 PM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 03, 2017, 11:43:15 AM
Aidan O'Shea takes issue over ex-Mayo managers' claims

The former managers said in the interview that O'Shea contacted them to complain about their objections to his participation in the series.

Email correspondence between O'Shea and the management over the release of a player from a match-day squad was also referenced.
The player also said he took issue with this newspaper's presentation of the interview, claiming he should have been given a right of reply with the publication of the article.

"It's not something I dwell on - I've completely moved on myself personally and the group have completely moved forward."
On the weekend that the interview was published, a Mayo media official made it clear in a response to a query from this newspaper that none of the players would be responding.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/aidan-oshea-takes-issue-over-exmayo-managers-claims-35675632.html

There's no quote in that article to back up the bit in bold. Totally misleading headline and article.

He said it wasn't the time to talk about it so they made it up

You're really reaching now. AOS/SOS/COC/Dillon got caught with their hands in the cookie jar as regards player power. It's not like the joint managers were the first ones to mention undue control or entitlement by those players - all they did was confirm the stream of rumours coming out of Mayo the previous 18-24 months.

Just because they're (mostly) good players doesn't mean they should be absolved and blindly defended.

Ah c'mon Syf, you're losing control of your senses and the season hasn't even started yet.  ;D
You'll be frigged completely before the third Sunday of September. Don't worry too much about Mayo, we're doing grand entirely.
Anybody who would seriously take what Noel and Pateen had to say deserves a break in the nearest home for the bewildered. There was nothing in that whinge fest that could stand up to scrutiny. What the hell had rumours about financial  irregularities got to do with  Dumb and  Dumber getting the bum's rush? Problem with someone who arranged transport for the squad or whatever. What had that to do with player/ management issues? Some buck gets annoyed because some other hoor either went to or missed mass, so effin' what? The two chancers said some player left match plans behind in the hotel but didn't explain what that had to do with them being shafted.
So if a player forgot to bring the notes along to the game, the panel rounds on the gruesome twosome  and blames them instead of the clattering a biteen of sense into the eejit who forgot the team plans. If that makes sense to you, you need professional help at once. Doesn't say much for standards of journalism at the Indo that this claim was allowed into print without anyone bothering to check it out.
THe real story is that the notes were left behind by the managers, not an unnamed player who Holmes, Connolly and Martin Breheny  knew very well was not going to respond.
I could go on and on about that 'exposé' but since neither me nor the rest of Mayo give one damn about what rubbish is being piled up to attack our team, there's no point in trying to explain or defend that which needs no explanation nor defence whatever..
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Rossfan

Jases Lar when did Syfīn get senses to lose control of? :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM