Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: criostlinn on December 18, 2016, 08:40:44 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 18, 2016, 07:55:54 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 18, 2016, 07:28:18 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on December 18, 2016, 07:20:53 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 18, 2016, 07:08:17 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on December 18, 2016, 07:00:25 PM
Well there it is for all to see. Finally the dynamic duo have their say. Its now clear all the petty rumours about who was picking the team which we have been subjected to this year have been coming from these two great Mayo men who by all accounts only have the interests of Mayo football at heart

There are a few real nuggets in this and to be honest after reading, it reaffirmed my opinion that these two bluffers had to go.
A look at some of the gems.

"They recall how one player stood up at a meeting a few months into 2015 and said, "These fellas don't think we're good enough", which elicited a response from another: "Sure if we were, we'd have All-Ireland medals by now"

I don't really know what they are trying to say here but what Id love to know is, if they felt so aggrieved with this comment that they had to bring it up 2 years later, what did they actually do at the time. Was he dropped, cut from the panel, spoken to or as I suspect none of the above. You see lads ye were the managers. You have to take some responsibility. If ye hadn't the balls to deal with this early on you cant expect people to have sympathy when you start whinging about it 2 years later

As for the comments about Seamie O'Shea trying to influence the goalie selection. Another classic and no doubt the timing of this was perfect after this years final. But the bit I cant understand, if they had such a problem with this, why did they go and drop Clarke and replace him with Hennelly. Why were they so influenced by Seamie O'Shea back then, but all of sudden now they were telling him get on with the football.

Another one, Pat Holmes taking on the role as Aiden O'Shea's agent. This one to me is simple. If you feel so badly about it you tell O'Shea if he does the program he is no longer in your plans. Why in the name of fcuk would you be ringing up the producer of the program to tell him not to be contacting Mayo players. Of course O'Shea would be pissed of with this. Holmes oversteped the mark here. Imagine Jim Gavin ringing Supervalu to tell them stop contacting Bernard Brogan.

Aiden O'Shea's email. Again deal with it, grow a set of balls and drop him do what ever you have to do but for christ sake these two geniuses based their whole tactical plan around Aiden O'Shea in 2015 but 18 months later we hear about all these problems.

What is a shame is that when the pair decided to sit down and do this interview  "in the best interests of Mayo football" that they didn't throw more light on the management selection process or maybe since they were keen to talk about fund raising that we didn't hear a bit more about the financing of McHale park.

So the O'Sheas are blameless?

Blameless of what. If they are causing all these problems that H&C are now trying to say they were, why didn't they deal with it at the time.

That's not the question.

Mayo fans bizarrely seem to think that what the O'Sheas did was acceptable for senior players on a panel. I haven't hear any criticism directed towards them for what has been alleged. Bizarrely you seem to put the blame at the door of the management for this?

Why are this set of Mayo players beyond criticism?

Do you blame the management team for 2015? Did they deserve the chop for it?

Not acceptability whatsoever.

The captain is the only player on any panel who should be discussing selection with the manager.

Do you think Jim Gavin consults his players on selection?

They would be promptly be told to f*** off

Well if we are to believe whats in this article why didn't H&C tell them to fcuk off. Two options, they are exaggerating what really happened to make the players look bad or else they didn't have the balls to do it because they were out of their league.

Once again, a complete casting aside of the conduct of the O'Sheas.

chrissears

Indiana has it spot on the O'Sheas are average players at best and we must have better players in the county. Why should Connelly and Holmes take all the crap? the players had their say in secrecy at least C&H came out and spoke publicly. Some of the players should take a look at themselves and stop laying the blame elsewhere.

gammysolo

Is the O'Shea's father a selector with Mayo? Who was the player Aidan o'Shea was referring to in email?

heffo

Quote from: gammysolo on December 18, 2016, 10:00:01 PM
Is the O'Shea's father a selector with Mayo? Who was the player Aidan o'Shea was referring to in email?

Allegedly the youngest O'Shea

lenny

Quote from: chrissears on December 18, 2016, 09:56:19 PM
Indiana has it spot on the O'Sheas are average players at best and we must have better players in the county. Why should Connelly and Holmes take all the crap? the players had their say in secrecy at least C&H came out and spoke publicly. Some of the players should take a look at themselves and stop laying the blame elsewhere.

Agree with this. Read the interview and the players come out of it badly without hearing their side of it at least. The O sheas are good players but not that good that disruptive behaviour can be tolerated. I've been hearing rumours about them being disruptive and dictating terms for a few years now but having said that it may only be rumours. mayo people are bound to have a better idea re their personalities.

macdanger2

Anyone replying to Syf, Bomber, Indiana or some of the other clowns on here would want their heads examined. No problem with genuine discussion from the likes of Jinxy, heffo, etc. but you're wasting your time with trolls

The main comment I'd have on the story is that it leaves out any discussion of the most important part....the start of it. No mention of the inside job that was the appointment process.

Syferus

Quote from: macdanger2 on December 18, 2016, 10:23:38 PM
Anyone replying to Syf, Bomber, Indiana or some of the other clowns on here would want their heads examined. No problem with genuine discussion from the likes of Jinxy, heffo, etc. but you're wasting your time with trolls

The main comment I'd have on the story is that it leaves out any discussion of the most important part....the start of it. No mention of the inside job that was the appointment process.

I'd like you to point out where exactly anything I said could even be classified as trolling. Total nonsense comment.

maigheo

Quote from: gammysolo on December 18, 2016, 10:00:01 PM
Any Mayo man would know the answer to that-oh i forgot ;)

moysider

Correct. That was a mess and it appears that from the word go some players at least did not want them. We were also told that some players did not want the alternative at the time either, but as it turned out, the CB decided there was no alternative!

Once in situ however did H&C perform so poorly? Or was it a case of the players just not ever buying into them or believing they were good enough no matter what they tried to do? The fact that players would not agree to sit down and try to work things out with them suggests they were never really accepted because of the shenanigans around their appointment.

My guess is that they were seen as a cheap, opportunistic appointment. I have no idea who the players would have preferred to replace Horan however.

muppet

Iolar, very good post on Sweeney's article. His hypocrisy is staggering and he sticks the boot in using the half truths and innuendos that the bashers here have fleshed out in their own heads. Sweeney lambasts the players on thinking they are great, while praising his colleague for the 'scoop of the year' and a 'top journalist'.

An email expressing surprise about a single match day 26 slelction is nothing. Absolutely nothing. But people here are running away with the story and assuming it means they picked the team.

What is absolutely certain, is that if Holmes and Yoyo had been told how to pick the team, we would have read all about it yesterday.

Larnaparka, the Eugene Rooney story does not explain at all why Holmes & Connelly include it in their tell all about bashing the players. It makes no sense, unless the agenda is someone else's.
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 18, 2016, 06:42:46 PM
I find the outright defence by the Mayo fans towards their players baffling.

I think supporters in general are always predisposed to back the players ahead of management no matter what. Unless it's utterly and blatantly obvious that they are in the wrong.

blast05

The interview .... not a single probing questions in the 5000 words to challenge H&C. It wasnt an interview ..... It was just a transcript. The Independent actually missed an opportunity by not asking Paul Kimmage to do it

Dillon and SoS challenging the management ...... brilliant - exactly what I would expect from an ambitious bunch of empowered players. The problem is H&C's management style is straight from the book of John Maughan - command and control, I'm the boss. What a modern day intercounty team needs (full of lads with 3rd level degrees rather than say soccer where lads more or less stop school at 15) is empowerment, responsibility, an environment where they feel they can ask questions, where the management is there to serve them on the championship journey, I.e. the exact opposite of command and control.

AOS and the TV gig ...... it didn't stop the Tipp lad winning an All-Ireland this year

Mayo people have known that the appointment was handled shambolicly, that they players handled the letter thing poorly, that H&C - while heroes in their own playing days and as u-21 managers - made mistakes and weren't really up to the job. However, for the greater good of Mayo football, we all wanted this buried and to move on.  Now that they have done the article, they are forcing Mayo supporters to take a side. The problem for H&C is that no Mayo supporters will side with them as we don't want to undermine the current setup in any way or undermine our chances of victory in 2017 ..... so that means the 2 boys will be thrown under the proverbial bus.

Of course this whole bullsh*t saga will roll until the New Year because it is mana from heaven for GAA journalists at this time of year  ..... but it's already yesterday's news in Mayo (take note Mayo News and Western People). Onwards and upwards - roll on the FBD

Mayo4Sam

Good piece on OTB this morning with the paper review, basically stated that H&C have given a self serving article and broken player confidentiality.

The players did what they felt they had to do for their IC careers. H&C even said that some of them voted against them but were new to the panel, I'm not sure how that means they can't vote against H&C
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

INDIANA

Quote from: moysider on December 18, 2016, 11:34:11 PM

Correct. That was a mess and it appears that from the word go some players at least did not want them. We were also told that some players did not want the alternative at the time either, but as it turned out, the CB decided there was no alternative!

Once in situ however did H&C perform so poorly? Or was it a case of the players just not ever buying into them or believing they were good enough no matter what they tried to do? The fact that players would not agree to sit down and try to work things out with them suggests they were never really accepted because of the shenanigans around their appointment.

My guess is that they were seen as a cheap, opportunistic appointment. I have no idea who the players would have preferred to replace Horan however.

I am not a troll. I'm simply saying that yourself and a few other Mayo fans would want to grow a pair and start calling this shite out for what it is.

A= players picking teams - daft

B= players sitting with managers  watching opposition teams - daft

The Sum of A+B = Mayo all ireland- less again.

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on December 18, 2016, 11:56:22 PM
Quote from: moysider on December 18, 2016, 11:34:11 PM

I am not a troll. I'm simply saying that yourself and a few other Mayo fans would want to grow a pair and start calling this shite out for what it is.

A= players picking teams - daft

B= players sitting with managers  watching opposition teams - daft

The Sum of A+B = Mayo all ireland- less again.

Never said you were a troll! maybe you should be having this row with somebody else?

I actually said that I had sympathy for H&C and how they were removed. Anybody that ever tried to manage anything would have.

Some of us knew this story was coming. During the week people I spoke to about it were saying things like 'name names, we know who they are talking about anyway'.

The thing that strikes me about this is that there is damn all to the grievances on either side but the end product is very damaging to everybody. The players grievances were vexatious and H&C don't face up to the fact that they should never have agreed to do the job - it stank of nepotism from the word go but they seem to think they were good enough to impose themselves.  Joint managers is bad news anyway.

Mayo fans are not going all the one way on this. Nobody is crying out for H&C or anything but there are misgivings about possible player influence. It probably goes back to Horan's time really.

Your point A - Doubt players are picking teams. I do know fans that believe that some players are influencing some selections though. That is certainly there.

Point B. -  That is not something the manager should have done. Very poor judgement and only lends credibility to the idea that some players have influence.