Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2015, 05:50:54 PM
Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2015, 05:38:10 PM
Quote from: sans pessimism on December 05, 2015, 07:20:21 AM
Quote from: Syferus on December 04, 2015, 11:38:47 PM
Quote from: moysider on December 04, 2015, 09:36:51 PM

There will be others  ;)
Nobody outside Mayo (and not too many in Mayo either would have Diarmuid O Connor emerging so soon.

If you want to call it that. I've been hearing him being hyped up to the hilt by confused Ballagh lads for years now who said he was just mighty (in training) and at minor, U21 and senior up until the two Dublin games he showed little to warrant the hype. Other players would have been thrown by the wayside long before O'Connor started to come good, he's had a lot of senior football already. He has miles to go yet if he wants to be a consistent force at senior. Durcan took to county far more gracefully.
You really dont have a fukn clue do ya

Touchy ladeen. DOC has talent but saying he's arrived after two good performances is mad. Talk about heaping pressure on a kid.

Don't have to be touchy to recognise you're talking through your hole.

..and a clubman predictably comes along to defend someone he (probably) knows personally.

Where exactly are DOC's great performances at senior pre-Dublin? Fair comment is fair comment. Talented player (even though critical of him that I've talked to were adamant of that) but Moy's premise was no one expected him to 'emerge so soon', but he'd already got a longer leash than most young players, something even Mayo supporters here admitted only a few months ago. Players emerged faster and slower than DOC, if it pans out he can now produce like he did in those two games consistently. There was nothing particularly fast about it.

You need to toughen up a little and not take it personally. Lord knows if I took all the shite here personally I'd be in some state.

INDIANA

There will be others  ;)
Nobody outside Mayo (and not too many in Mayo either would have Diarmuid O Connor emerging so soon.

If you want to call it that. I've been hearing him being hyped up to the hilt by confused Ballagh lads for years now who said he was just mighty (in training) and at minor, U21 and senior up until the two Dublin games he showed little to warrant the hype. Other players would have been thrown by the wayside long before O'Connor started to come good, he's had a lot of senior football already. He has miles to go yet if he wants to be a consistent force at senior. Durcan took to county far more gracefully.

Touchy ladeen. DOC has talent but saying he's arrived after two good performances is mad. Talk about heaping pressure on a kid.

Pity Roscommon don't have anyone as good as him

Shrewdness

INDIANA

Quote from: Shrewdness on December 05, 2015, 08:05:43 PM
Indiana arse licking Mayo.

calling it as it is. DOC is a serious player. Only Mayo forward we'd want

thebuzz

Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2015, 06:21:39 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 05, 2015, 05:50:54 PM

There will be others  ;)

Don't have to be touchy to recognise you're talking through your hole.

..and a clubman predictably comes along to defend someone he (probably) knows personally.

Where exactly are DOC's great performances at senior pre-Dublin? Fair comment is fair comment. Talented player (even though critical of him that I've talked to were adamant of that) but Moy's premise was no one expected him to 'emerge so soon', but he'd already got a longer leash than most young players, something even Mayo supporters here admitted only a few months ago. Players emerged faster and slower than DOC, if it pans out he can now produce like he did in those two games consistently. There was nothing particularly fast about it.

You need to toughen up a little and not take it personally. Lord knows if I took all the shite here personally I'd be in some state.

I have to say from reading your posts and those of others, you get more shite than anyone on here Syferus and you do take it very well.  :) A lot of people would need to learn to turn the other cheek to some extent.

Lar Naparka

Ah jaysus Syf, you deserved to be canonised.  ;D
The lengths you are going to to smarten the lot of us thick Mayo hoors and ne'er a one of us showing even a biteen of gratitude for the trouble you're going to.
Maybe that's because we don't see any problems and can't understand what it is that's putting you off yer oats.
Diarmuid O'Connor?? Was he fast or slow coming or does it matter one iota? Point is; he has arrived-full stop.
He got YPOTY this year even without the 'bounce' of an ASI appearance, never mind a win like McCaffrey had. Furthermore, he was a runaway winner of the Mayo Gaa Blog poll for Player of the Year award.
Here, he was up against an assload of long-established favourites like Leroy and Zippy and the Bears and Big Bro and he still finished way ahead of the posse.
He may not measure up to your standards but he's A plus with me and I imagine every Mayo head for miles around will say the same.
Don't fret about the team either, or the manager for that matter; there's no crisis of any sort anywhere. Every Mayo fan, from Ballaghadereen to Belmullet and Killala to Killery Harbour don't know what the fuss is about.
The team will be under no extra pressure to do anything next year, as long as they do their best, the fans will back them. It's as simple as that.
So, thanks for your concern for our welfare but I'm afraid you're wasting your time. We're happy as we are and won't be changing anything any time soon.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on December 05, 2015, 10:54:06 PM
The lengths you are going to to smarten the lot of us thick Mayo hoors and ne'er a one of us showing even a biteen of gratitude for the trouble you're going to.
Maybe that's because we don't see any problems and can't understand what it is that's putting you off yer oats.
Diarmuid O'Connor?? Was he fast or slow coming or does it matter one iota? Point is; he has arrived-full stop.
He got YPOTY this year even without the 'bounce' of an ASI appearance, never mind a win like McCaffrey had. Furthermore, he was a runaway winner of the Mayo Gaa Blog poll for Player of the Year award.
Here, he was up against an assload of long-established favourites like Leroy and Zippy and the Bears and Big Bro and he still finished way ahead of the posse.
He may not measure up to your standards but he's A plus with me and I imagine every Mayo head for miles around will say the same.
Don't fret about the team either, or the manager for that matter; there's no crisis of any sort anywhere. Every Mayo fan, from Ballaghadereen to Belmullet and Killala to Killery Harbour don't know what the fuss is about.
The team will be under no extra pressure to do anything next year, as long as they do their best, the fans will back them. It's as simple as that.
So, thanks for your concern for our welfare but I'm afraid you're wasting your time. We're happy as we are and won't be changing anything any time soon.

Up until the Dublin games only a madman would say AOS wasn't Mayo's PotY. And over the course of the year it's clear he still was. DOC simply didn't change how teams played like AOS or had the monstrous impact on games AOS did. The reason DOC had so much time on the ball in the Dublin games? Dublin had shifted their defence to have two men at all times on AOS and a third man close by. I'd go as far as to say it would have been far more difficult for DOC to display his passing skills were it not for AOS clearing the space for him.

Keegan would have to be ranked higher than DOC over the season too. A reactive poll on a fan-site doesn't disprove that. I'd wager that he's young means he comes with less begrudgery and people being more willing to give him the rub too, something a player like AOS would have to contend with inside and outside his county like many big players do.

DOC deservedly got YPotY, but who was he competing with? It was either DOC or stretching deep into the championship and the All-Stars voters have never shown any interest in doing that. Likewise he didn't even come into the reckoning for Connacht YPotY nevermind YPotY at his age grade this year because Mayo went no where at U21. All-Stars, PotYs and YPotYs are all hostages to their teams' ability to reach AISFs.

Rossfan

Jasus Syfín you have it bad for the Rhus and their potties :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

INDIANA

Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2015, 11:38:30 PM

Up until the Dublin games only a madman would say AOS wasn't Mayo's PotY. And over the course of the year it's clear he still was. DOC simply didn't change how teams played like AOS or had the monstrous impact on games AOS did. The reason DOC had so much time on the ball in the Dublin games? Dublin had shifted their defence to have two men at all times on AOS and a third man close by. I'd go as far as to say it would have been far more difficult for DOC to display his passing skills were it not for AOS clearing the space for him.

Keegan would have to be ranked higher than DOC over the season too. A reactive poll on a fan-site doesn't disprove that. I'd wager that he's young means he comes with less begrudgery and people being more willing to give him the rub too, something a player like AOS would have to contend with inside and outside his county like many big players do.

DOC deservedly got YPotY, but who was he competing with? It was either DOC or stretching deep into the championship and the All-Stars voters have never shown any interest in doing that. Likewise he didn't even come into the reckoning for Connacht YPotY nevermind YPotY at his age grade this year because Mayo went no where at U21. All-Stars, PotYs and YPotYs are all hostages to their teams' ability to reach AISFs.

The kid is a class act . Did it against the best team of the modern era (us) . If you want to transfer him ( Mayo fans) we will take him . 40 percent at least better then his brother

Lar Naparka

Quote from: INDIANA on December 06, 2015, 12:43:28 AM
Quote from: Syferus on December 05, 2015, 11:38:30 PM

The kid is a class act . Did it against the best team of the modern era (us) . If you want to transfer him ( Mayo fans) we will take him . 40 percent at least better then his brother
No problem with that. COC is a truly fine player but he his lack of mobility is a drawback. Mark my words, the young fella will be the  one of the all-time greats of Mayo football. Right now, he's developing grand and I don't think a single Mayo head gives a damn whether  it has taken him two years or ten to develop to the stage where he is now. And now is only the beginning...
Poor oul' Syf will give himself a complete breakdown if he doesn't stop worrying about the state of Mayo football.
We're doing grand. No need for anyone to panic about the state of Mayo football. Everything is under control but there's a brand new Roscommon thread that's dying on its feet because of a total lack of interest. The buck who started it spends his time lurking on this thread and poor oul' Syf seems to be welded to this particular discussion. It's a 24/7 operation by the looks of it.
You know I think Tom Kennedy was right; them Rossies are a bit different to the rest of humanity.  :D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

larryin89

Nah, I'm not having that man 40% better than Cillian ? No way , at this point in time Cillian is still more vital to Mayo than his younger brother . I am still of the opinion though cillian would be more effective from a CHF position .
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

rodney trotter

Earlier this year Tony McEntee admitted he had "fallen out of love" with inter-county football. But it hasn't taken long for the romance to be rekindled.

When new Mayo manager Stephen Rochford picked up the phone for "a chat", the former Armagh footballer obliged without really thinking where the conversation would lead to.

But ratification as one of Rochford's selectors on Tuesday night has presented him with an opportunity that he knows he would have regretted turning down.

"I did say I would lie up, relax and do very little," said the 2002 All-Ireland winner. "But this was one of the only possible opportunities that I might have got of working with one of the top three teams in Ireland.

"I didn't do it I could have had a regret because I think I can add value to the set-up. If I didn't and this type of opportunity didn't arise again I could have been living with some regret or notion that I could have made a difference."

McEntee admits to "having admiration" for this Mayo group.

"I felt over the last three years that they were the best team in the country for any number of reasons. They are certainly a team you can be drawn to," he said.

"They play attractive football, they're an honest bunch of players. They're a team I feel I can work with. I don't think it would be a huge strain mentally to take on a team like Mayo.

"I will be overseeing the fitness and coaching of the Dublin-based Mayo players on one mid-week night and Donie Buckley will look after the home-based players and then we will both get together with the entire squad for at least two weekend sessions in Mayo and that should help to bring things on," he said.

"There were," he concluded, "a lot of reasons to say no."

Based in south Armagh, he's facing a six-hour return journey to Mayo but he has reconciled himself to that.

"It was foremost in the mind," he explained. "That is the biggest issue and the impact that could have on family life. It is something that I have reconciled in my mind to wanting to do."

For the early part of the season he will oversee midweek preparations of the Dublin-based Mayo players but, by May, he expects to be making the journey west on a more regular basis.

A medical rep with PEI, McEntee - Crossmaglen Rangers' joint-manager when they won All-Ireland club titles in 2011 and 2012 - didn't know Rochford personally before the call came.

"I didn't know the man. The initial call was just for a chat. I met him out of courtesy. I was in Galway at the time and it went from there," he said.

Rochford will have his brother Eoin overseeing logistics, while former Irish Independent GAA correspondent Liam Horan will be involved in media co-ordination

Shannoncider

Quote from: INDIANA on December 05, 2015, 07:37:06 PM

There will be others  ;)

To be honest DOC wouldn't make Roscommon team and to reply to your statement about us not having anyone as good as him. Ultan Harney and Murtagh both the same age are far superior players. Time will prove that. I agree with syf on this the lad has only played two good championship games it's less than a year ago he was been whipped off after 30 mins for consistently shite performances for DCU

Syferus

Quote from: Shannoncider on December 06, 2015, 03:42:59 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on December 05, 2015, 07:37:06 PM

There will be others  ;)

To be honest DOC wouldn't make Roscommon team and to reply to your statement about us not having anyone as good as him. Ultan Harney and Murtagh both the same age are far superior players. Time will prove that. I agree with syf on this the lad has only played two good championship games it's less than a year ago he was been whipped off after 30 mins for consistently shite performances for DCU

No need to get into c**k measuring. We've got good players. They've got good players. Which team has the best young players will play out over the next 5-8 years as long as money doesn't warp things.

maigheo

With statements like that Shannoncider ,this thread will easily run to 100 pages.Me thinks its time to close this thread as the Rossies are turning it into a complete farce