Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

In the photo above, Declan is probably wondering what Mayo have let themselves in for by appointing a man that presided over that Corofin performance today. This could all end in tears for Mayo.I`d rather have Mc Stay than Rochford as manager.

heffo

Best of luck to him - top operator by all accounts.

Cunny Funt

The pressure is all on the Mayo players next year if they don't deliver Sam it will be time to replace some of those established players. Rochford should get 2 years at least and I can't see the Mayo county board getting into a habit of regularly changing management.

Syferus

Quote from: Cunny Funt on November 22, 2015, 08:19:51 PM
The pressure is all on the Mayo players next year if they don't deliver Sam it will be time to replace some of those established players. Rochford should get 2 years at least and I can't see the Mayo county board getting into a habit of regularly changing management.

Do the Mayo board have any choice in the matter?

From the Bunker

The pressure is on this Mayo team every year since 2012! The expectation is there week in week out come summer. Weather it was the same regime (H&C), Horan or Roachford there would still be pressure to finally get over the line.

As much as if it was Evans, McStay, or some one else the pressure would be on them to get Roscommon to a connacht final and to possibly get to the quarters.

Anything less for both teams will be failure. Regardless of them being capable to achieve their goals.

moysider

Quote from: Shrewdness on November 22, 2015, 07:52:01 PM
In the photo above, Declan is probably wondering what Mayo have let themselves in for by appointing a man that presided over that Corofin performance today. This could all end in tears for Mayo.I`d rather have Mc Stay than Rochford as manager.

Corofin today beaten by a fresher team with, if truth be told, better quality players.

Now that people misread the relative merits of the two teams beforehand, they are using Rochford as a scapegoat to explain Corofin's defeat. Sure Corofin won the AI last year but Mitchels made the final year before and with a more astute manager might actually have won it.
You could say Rochford did well to keep his team in the game for so long considering how much they were being outclassed.

Captain Obvious

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2015, 08:28:12 PM

The pressure is on this Mayo team every year since 2012! The expectation is there week in week out come summer. Weather it was the same regime (H&C), Horan or Roachford there would still be pressure to finally get over the line.

As much as if it was Evans, McStay, or some one else the pressure would be on them to get Roscommon to a connacht final and to possibly get to the quarters.

Anything less for both teams will be failure. Regardless of them being capable to achieve their goals.
A very different type of pressure on the Mayo players next year and if this panel of Mayo players have already reached their peak like suggested here before then those high expectations will not be achieved.

moysider

Pressure couldn t be any higher than it already has been. This set of players have been asked to crossed the white line and perform for a number of years now and they usually have. In fact apart from a couple of horror shows in league they always have performed. Even in the big ones they lost. They also have not been helped by some questionable direction from management at times.

Of course they may well have peaked. We ll have to wait and see.

I think the panel is young enough and hungry enough to still have a say. I also think there is enough new blood to bring in to keep things fresh.
But of course I would think that way, wouldn t I.

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on November 22, 2015, 08:31:04 PM
Corofin today beaten by a fresher team with, if truth be told, better quality players.

Now that people misread the relative merits of the two teams beforehand, they are using Rochford as a scapegoat to explain Corofin's defeat. Sure Corofin won the AI last year but Mitchels made the final year before and with a more astute manager might actually have won it.
You could say Rochford did well to keep his team in the game for so long considering how much they were being outclassed.

Bit harsh that.
they lost their key player Richie Feeney after 5 mins to that black card. He was their star all through Connacht and it was very harsh on him as the black card was introduced in January and for some reason it was made to apply to a competition that was in progress from the year before. And he had no experience of it as a result.

He was also probably the box to box man to help out with the likes of Connolly and in the final he was clearly pumped up but Eddie Kinsella was unmoved. Anyway its history now but overall there is not much Holmes or any other manager can and could do about those scenarios.

INDIANA

If vincent's played castlebar tomorrow we'd beat them

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on November 22, 2015, 09:39:58 PM

Maybe but I doubt they d be as naïve this time around. Patrick Durcan would be an interesting match up for Connolly.

ballinaman

Fresher legs would be a serious advantage.

moysider

Quote from: ballinaman on November 22, 2015, 10:49:09 PM

Fresher legs would be a serious advantage.
;D ;D ;D

muppet

I agree.

Because most of our team are still in Mick Byrne's.
MWWSI 2017

Cunny Funt

The biggest disappointment in Kevin McStay's GAA career was not getting selected as Mayo senior manager last year. http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/football/snub-for-mayo-job-kevin-mcstays-big-regret-366719.html