Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Red

Quote from: Cunny Funt on October 29, 2015, 09:57:02 PM
Mayo News - Sport ‏@mayonewssport 
Stephen Rochford has confirmed that he 'accepted a nomination' today to allow his name go forward for the Mayo manager post. #mayogaa #gaa

He has so far proven himself a good manager and coach and was always going to be nominated. The bigger issue now is if the Board want him and the set up he will want to put in place (or more to the point if the Board can afford it) and if they don't what alternatives they have on offer.

larryin89

Quote from: Red on October 29, 2015, 10:14:58 PM
Stephen Rochford has confirmed that he 'accepted a nomination' today to allow his name go forward for the Mayo manager post. #mayogaa #gaa

He has so far proven himself a good manager and coach and was always going to be nominated. The bigger issue now is if the Board want him and the set up he will want to put in place (or more to the point if the Board can afford it) and if they don't what alternatives they have on offer.

I haven't a notion about how these things work but I would of thought all that would of been sounded out before a nomination like this is put forward . In others I'd be of the thought that it's a done deal already.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

mayo.mick

Quote from: moysider on October 29, 2015, 09:40:27 PM

Lookit  Aidan McLoughlin clearly stated that the board were waiting for nominations until the deadline.

That's the way it should be imo. Why would clubs waste their time with nominations if the executive have another separate mechanism in place to get who they want.

If we end up with Maughan - I doubt it - well that is where we end up. The cupboard is a bit bare inside and outside the county for suitable canditates. Unfortunately recent appointments at minor and u21 were disappointing and maybe a bit ill-judged in the first place. You d be hoping to get coaches coming up through the ranks in the county but it is not happening for some reason.

I think that's what happened last year if I remember correctly?
mayo for sam-don't ask me what year! :-)
https://michaelmaye.com/mayo-gaa-photos/
@mayo_mick

moysider

Quote from: Red on October 29, 2015, 10:14:58 PM

Well that's good anyway. I expect that he has been nominated by a club?
I don t expect there will be many more nominations if any, and if not the executive should go ahead with the appointment with as little fuss as possible.
A lot of the mess we ended up in with the last management was because the outgoing chairman and others completely misread the situation a year ago. They obviously didn t want anything to do with McStay and cobbled together a management team that they believed that the players and football public would accept instead and be highly respected. While H&C had many admirers they were not as generally popular among the supporters as the Ex. seemed to believe. We knew early on that the players were less than enthusiastic with the arrangement as well.
So hopefully this time we will have a nice transparent process of appointment and no meddling. That way, players or anybody else can have no gripe. I don t think players or anybody else would regardless of how things go next year.

moysider

Quote from: mayo.mick on October 29, 2015, 10:50:51 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 29, 2015, 09:40:27 PM

Lookit  Aidan McLoughlin clearly stated that the board were waiting for nominations until the deadline.

That's the way it should be imo. Why would clubs waste their time with nominations if the executive have another separate mechanism in place to get who they want.

If we end up with Maughan - I doubt it - well that is where we end up. The cupboard is a bit bare inside and outside the county for suitable canditates. Unfortunately recent appointments at minor and u21 were disappointing and maybe a bit ill-judged in the first place. You d be hoping to get coaches coming up through the ranks in the county but it is not happening for some reason.

I think that's what happened last year if I remember correctly?

That's what happened this year at U21 as well. The Ex. pulled a stroke and nominated Maughan who withdrew after interview. One of the original nominees was appointed then instead. That was a strange turn of events and have no doubt that there was some stuff happening behind the scenes to cause a change of heart.
There is either a process in place or not.

mayoman dan

What do we know about Rochford as a manager.I know he won an all ireland with Corofin but what sort of manager is he? I strongly believe Mayo need a tactician to get us over the line.Is he tactically flexible or does he have a system a player must fit into? A lot of Mayo people are saying Rochford for the job but dont have a clue about him its like his name is the buzzword the last week or so.

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on October 30, 2015, 12:03:20 AM
What do we know about Rochford as a manager.I know he won an all ireland with Corofin but what sort of manager is he? I strongly believe Mayo need a tactician to get us over the line.Is he tactically flexible or does he have a system a player must fit into? A lot of Mayo people are saying Rochford for the job but dont have a clue about him its like his name is the buzzword the last week or so.

What is the alternative dan? Who else is there?

There is no perfect manger out there waiting on a call and you cant design/create one. Every team is in the some boat when it comes to appointing a management.

mayoman dan

Quote from: moysider on October 30, 2015, 12:15:14 AM

There is no perfect manger out there waiting on a call and you cant design/create one. Every team is in the some boat when it comes to appointing a management.

IMO there is no alternative he is the only credible candidate.Maughan would send us back to the stone age and Horan had his chances and he blew them.I dont think Mc Guinness was ever an option. Im not having a go at him Moy i would like to know more about him.A fresh start is needed and he provides that. Would you be happy with him getting the job moy? We have problems that need sorting can he sort them?

moysider

Quote from: mayoman dan on October 30, 2015, 12:23:26 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 30, 2015, 12:15:14 AM

IMO there is no alternative he is the only credible candidate.Maughan would send us back to the stone age and Horan had his chances and he blew them.I dont think Mc Guinness was ever an option. Im not having a go at him Moy i would like to know more about him.A fresh start is needed and he provides that. Would you be happy with him getting the job moy? We have problems that need sorting can he sort them?

I would be happy yeah. As regards the team I don t think we have much sorting to do.
Rochford went into the alpha club in Galway from a Mayo base (North Mayo at that) and delivered. That in itself is impressive. You d imagine that the club of the Silkes and the Galway cohort of 98- 01 in general would not tolerate a Mayo man about the place. Especially one without a decorated inter-county career.
He obviously knows his stuff.
There seems to be a bit of annoyance about egos in the Mayo panel being a problem. I don t believe that for a minute. There are always egos but it should never be a problem. It wont be a problem with Rochford. He will bring knowledge, assurance and authority to the role without making a song and dance about it.

Duine Eile

From what I've seen and heard of Rochford he has a meticulous eye for detail, nothing is left to chance. Corofin play their own game but also adapt to suit who they are playing. He plays his players to their strengths, Ronan Steede for example, seems to have been given free reign to roam this year and he's had a great championship so far. Corofin are a seriously fit, well conditioned outfit also. He's not afraid to tackle indiscipline head on either from what I've heard, big name or not if you don't pull your weight/put in the effort/step out of line, you're on the bench and work your way back onto the first 15. Apparently if anyone was as much as a minute late for training last year they were told to go home and come back the next evening, no big issue made out of it by anyone but the message was still put out if you can't be on time there's 2 or 3 lads here looking for your place, everyone that starts on Rochford's first 15 has put in serious effort in training, there's no getting your place on name or reputation only. He strikes me as someone who has the potential to do very well at inter county.

Syferus

Quote from: Duine Eile on October 30, 2015, 12:54:54 AM

From what I've seen and heard of Rochford he has a meticulous eye for detail, nothing is left to chance. Corofin play their own game but also adapt to suit who they are playing. He plays his players to their strengths, Ronan Steede for example, seems to have been given free reign to roam this year and he's had a great championship so far. Corofin are a seriously fit, well conditioned outfit also. He's not afraid to tackle indiscipline head on either from what I've heard, big name or not if you don't pull your weight/put in the effort/step out of line, you're on the bench and work your way back onto the first 15. Apparently if anyone was as much as a minute late for training last year they were told to go home and come back the next evening, no big issue made out of it by anyone but the message was still put out if you can't be on time there's 2 or 3 lads here looking for your place, everyone that starts on Rochford's first 15 has put in serious effort in training, there's no getting your place on name or reputation only. He strikes me as someone who has the potential to do very well at inter county.

Sounds like McStay Lite.

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on October 30, 2015, 01:05:52 AM

Sounds like McStay Lite.

Er.... no it doesn t. No point comparing the two. Huge regard for Kevin of course. Unlikely there will be any point in comparison down the road either. Rochford - if he gets the gig - will have a more fuller and colourful pallete to work off.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on October 30, 2015, 01:30:47 AM

Sounds like McStay Lite.

Er.... no it doesn t. No point comparing the two. Huge regard for Kevin of course. Unlikely there will be any point in comparison down the road either. Rochford - if he gets the gig - will have a more fuller and colourful pallete to work off.

Rochford will have a vivid and opinated palette to work of. Maybe a palette that doesn't realise the moment has passed them by. Kevin will have a panel that hangs on his every word. We might get three chances next year to see who is the better man.. if it's Kevin Lord help and save Rochford..

moysider

Quote from: Syferus on October 30, 2015, 01:41:30 AM

Sounds like McStay Lite.

Rochford will have a vivid and opinated ppalette to work of. Maybe a palate that doesn't realise the moment has passed them by. Kevin will have a panel that hangs on his every word. We might get three chances next year to see who is the better man.. if it's Kevin Lord help and save Rochford..

Relax. No need for the hyperbole. Ffs, what's that nonsense about who's the better man and moments passed by. Both are top football men.
It's been 35 years since ye had a moment that could compare with our recent several moments that passed us by. Catch a grip for God's sake. Wait until there's a stake through our heart before ruffling feathers. Same every year. Gloat when we lose to a Dublin or Kerry yet ye gat a face plant against likes of Fermanagh. An overweight pizza chomper shows up the best forward line in Connacht. Hegarty and Donie snr. start keeing on Shannonside radio and manager is history. Best of luck Kevin.

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on October 30, 2015, 01:59:43 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 30, 2015, 01:41:30 AM

Sounds like McStay Lite.

Rochford will have a vivid and opinated ppalette to work of. Maybe a palate that doesn't realise the moment has passed them by. Kevin will have a panel that hangs on his every word. We might get three chances next year to see who is the better man.. if it's Kevin Lord help and save Rochford..

Relax. No need for the hyperbole. Ffs, what's that nonsense about who's the better man and moments passed by. Both are top football men.
It's been 35 years since ye had a moment that could compare with our recent several moments that passed us by. Catch a grip for God's sake. Wait until there's a stake through our heart before ruffling feathers. Same every year. Gloat when we lose to a Dublin or Kerry yet ye gat a face plant against likes of Fermanagh. An overweight pizza chomper shows up the best forward line in Connacht. Hegarty and Donie snr. start keeing on Shannonside radio and manager is history. Best of luck Kevin.

I'd settle for 2001 and 2010 if yer 'moments' are flipping over and letting the flavour of the year have their way with ye Moy.. at the end of the day you've three AIs to our two. Not much to lord over anyone.