Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

A few weeks ago, some Mayo people poured cold water on Kevin Mc Stay's appointment as Roscommon manager, because he had ''no inter county experience'' and was ''unproven'' at inter county level.. So it will be fascinating to observe those people's reactions in a few week's time if Rochford/Mc Entee get the Mayo job, considering that they too, have no inter county experience and are unproven at inter county level....Don't rule Horan out yet.

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on October 23, 2015, 04:19:32 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 23, 2015, 04:04:50 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on October 23, 2015, 04:00:55 PM
We expect it from him, he can't help himself. But the rest of ye are as bad in this thread. Fck sake lads, have a bit of self-respect and not be obsessing over your neighbours.

Hard to argue with the point made so you go for the man. Understandable in the circumstances I guess.

What point? Will we be better in 2016? How can I (or anyone) answer that when the new mgmt haven't been appointed yet!?
If you consider that playing the man, you're a delicate flower.

But if we were to end up with Rochford and McEntee, I would be very satisfied indeed. I don't think we'd be behind in any meaningful way by not having them appointed in October...

I can guarantee you if it goes tits up for Rochford or whoever next year one of the first excuses out of their mouths will be the late appointment and lack of preparation time.

I just think with such a shortened timetable even two good men (Rochford and McEntee both would be deserving of an IC job at some point) is hardly going to be much better at the job than two men who have a year under their belts and a full off-season. I think this coup was ill-timed whatever way you look at it. The players have only succeeded in making their jobs harder from what I can see.

Mayo are aiming to win now and this off-season wrangling in November is not what you need when that's your goal.

moysider

Where is this Rochford/ McEntee thing coming from? Do they even know one another?

muppet

We read the Chairman's statement.

He said that there were no reasons given by the players for the heave and the players' collective silence would seem to verify this. Thus there was obviously no demand by the players, communicated to the CB, as to whom the new manager should be. Otherwise it could have reasonably been assumed that a reason for the vote against Pat & Noel, was that they wanted someone specific instead.

So if the players didn't demand James back, and I would think it was unlikely the CB would rush to bring him back, particularly under perceived duress, where did the story about James being a shoe in come from?

I am thinking that story was rubbish.
MWWSI 2017

macdanger2

The Irish Daily Mail ffs, isn't that the same paper that had the details of players who supposedly voted for H&C to stay?  Sounds like bollix to me although I'd be delighted with a Rochford / McEntee combo - one as manager, one as selector though cos the dogs on the street know that joint managers don't work  ;)

Captain Obvious

Tony McEntee was a joint manager with Gareth O'Neill when Crossmaglen won back to back All Irelands. Tony has has found outright management tougher I think it was St Judes that beat his St Brigids outfit the last two years in the championship.

mrhardyannual

Quote from: moysider on October 23, 2015, 05:04:56 PM
Where is this Rochford/ McEntee thing coming from? Do they even know one another?
Let's see. McEntee is from Armagh. Billy Joe was/is based there. Willie Joe and Maughan are joined at the hip. Rochford is from Cross(molina), as is Maughan and McEntee (Crossmaglen). Connelly in the oil business. Lots of oil along the border. Must be the makings of a dastardly, deceitful, conspiracy involving some/all members of the CB, Dissident Players, Murky Ex -Managers, Bag men, Swag men etc.

Entries, not exceeding 2000 words, to be received by April 1.

Rossfan

Quote from: Syferus on October 23, 2015, 05:03:22 PM

Mayo are aiming to win now

So that's where they've been going wrong  ;D ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

muppet

Quote from: mrhardyannual on October 23, 2015, 07:34:15 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 23, 2015, 05:04:56 PM
Let's see. McEntee is from Armagh. Billy Joe was/is based there. Willie Joe and Maughan are joined at the hip. Rochford is from Cross(molina), as is Maughan and McEntee (Crossmaglen). Connelly in the oil business. Lots of oil along the border. Must be the makings of a dastardly, deceitful, conspiracy involving some/all members of the CB, Dissident Players, Murky Ex -Managers, Bag men, Swag men etc.

Entries, not exceeding 2000 words, to be received by April 1.

You left out Shell. Shell to Sea. Shell about to start pumping gas. Players pumping iron. But some need more gas.

All connected.

MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2015, 03:45:16 PM
Stop worrying about your effin rhubarb mates Syfín. >:(
Fair play, Ross. I been thinking that way for a long time but I was too polite to say it. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

moysider

Have to say I d be happy with either Rochford or McEntee. Just not sure where both together is coming from? Surely not another joint manager scenario? Rochford as manager and McEntee as coach or vice versa?

Is Donie Buckley likely to have a role again?

Syferus

Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 23, 2015, 09:41:04 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on October 23, 2015, 03:45:16 PM
Stop worrying about your effin rhubarb mates Syfín. >:(
Fair play, Ross. I been thinking that way for a long time but I was too polite to say it. ;D

Big Tom coming up the Late Late. Calling a truce until it's over.

rodney trotter

Quote from: macdanger2 on October 23, 2015, 06:04:26 PM
The Irish Daily Mail ffs, isn't that the same paper that had the details of players who supposedly voted for H&C to stay?  Sounds like bollix to me although I'd be delighted with a Rochford / McEntee combo - one as manager, one as selector though cos the dogs on the street know that joint managers don't work  ;)

A selector? McEntee isn't going to travel over 3 hours to Mayo, to be a selector. He will either be the coach or a joint manager.

His articles in the past with the examiner gave an indication that he might like to work with Mayo.

macdanger2

Quote from: rodney trotter on October 23, 2015, 11:32:23 PM
Quote from: macdanger2 on October 23, 2015, 06:04:26 PM

A selector? McEntee isn't going to travel over 3 hours to Mayo, to be a selector. He will either be the coach or a joint manager.

His articles in the past with the examiner gave an indication that he might like to work with Mayo.

Sorry, I didn't necessarily mean selector, just that if there were two involved that it'd be preferable if one was the bossman and the other a coach / selector / whatever. As moysider says though, I don't know that they actually know each other, probably just some journalist throwing two names together

sans pessimism

Quote from: Syferus on October 23, 2015, 03:34:18 PM
Third week of November. You'd have to wonder when the dust settles with such a late appointment has all the drama really improved Mayo's chances in 2016 at all?
you remind me of a smoke detector with a low battery-an annoying fuckin squak every now and again!
"So Boys stick together
in all kinds of weather"