Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moysider

Quote from: INDIANA on October 03, 2015, 02:06:46 PM
Quote from: moysider on October 03, 2015, 02:04:45 PM

Well if Mayo look 3-4 players short Kerry looked 5-7 short in the final and could have taken a trimming.

What are Mayo supposed to do? Lie down and die?

I'll take looking a few shy this year under the circumstance. Not bad at all taking into account the dysfunctional environment they were coming from.

Be careful what you wish for. James Horan is also the guy who couldn't see two Dublin players couldn't run. So it's hilarious in some respects listening to the Mayo players talking about professional environments. 2013 was lost on the line .
Not wishing for James Horan myself.

From the Bunker

Quote from: INDIANA on October 03, 2015, 02:20:40 PM

The Mayo players have never taken responsibility for the absolute skill-set failures under pressure since 2012. Do they have enough players with the individual skill to win an AI? No is the answer.

But they were presented in 2012 and 2013 with golden opportunities to win  AI titles because superior opposition under-performed on the day and gave them the chance.

In an ideal world with every county playing to it's limit Mayo are currently in my view 3 players short. A goal-keeper, a centre back and another inside forward.

Changing management team won't change that and if it's the professionalism of the outgoing management the players are unhappy about then how could they have been happy with Horan who made several blunders on the line during his tenure . That's part of the gig too. Anyone can put a professional environment in around a team. It's what you do in that environment what counts.

It's surreal really. You're in a whole pile of trouble and the players have to produce the goods next year. Maybe it will be the making of them.

Unless I knew of the players needed to get the team over the line were easily identifiable within the county I wouldn't take it until some of the Backroom Lawyers on the panel were gone

Alan Freeman training with Vincents as well in Dublin at present.

Look we have not won the Big Cannister. Until we do that ye call throw all ye want at us! The greatest of lies, myths and tales can be made up and taken as being as fact as to our shortcomings! And we have to take it because we have no comeback. Be it true or just plain old myths built around stereo type cliches we just have to suck it up. In the meantime we have people from other counties telling us we should hold onto two lads not up to a job. So in other words you want us to cling onto what you've been criticising us for?

muppet

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2015, 02:09:33 PM

Well if Mayo look 3-4 players short Kerry looked 5-7 short in the final and could have taken a trimming.

I'll take looking a few shy this year under the circumstance. Not bad at all taking into account the dysfunctional environment they were coming from.

Be careful what you wish for. James Horan is also the guy who couldn't see two Dublin players couldn't run. So it's hilarious in some respects listening to the Mayo players talking about professional environments. 2013 was lost on the line .

So which is it?

Are we not champions because of the sideline, or because we are missing 3 - 4 players?

And what will be it be tomorrow?

The Mayo players have never taken responsibility for the absolute skill-set failures under pressure since 2012. Do they have enough players with the individual skill to win an AI? No is the answer.

But they were presented in 2012 and 2013 with golden opportunities to win  AI titles because superior opposition under-performed on the day and gave them the chance.

In an ideal world with every county playing to it's limit Mayo are currently in my view 3 players short. A goal-keeper, a centre back and another inside forward.

Changing management team won't change that and if it's the professionalism of the outgoing management the players are unhappy about then how could they have been happy with Horan who made several blunders on the line during his tenure . That's part of the gig too. Anyone can put a professional environment in around a team. It's what you do in that environment what counts.

It's surreal really. You're in a whole pile of trouble and the players have to produce the goods next year. Maybe it will be the making of them.

Unless I knew of the players needed to get the team over the line were easily identifiable within the county I wouldn't take it until some of the Backroom Lawyers on the panel were gone

What?

They were of the opinion that they weren't happy with the current set up.

Big deal.

Get over it.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2015, 02:43:08 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2015, 02:09:33 PM

So which is it?

Are we not champions because of the sideline, or because we are missing 3 - 4 players?

And what will be it be tomorrow?

What?

They were of the opinion that they weren't happy with the current set up.

Big deal.

Get over it.

2nd best team in the country? New man has some job on his hands. That's a bad management job by any stretch.

These players have failed under pressure every time. But it's always somebody else's fault with these players.

You only have to look at the Mayo players continually kicking aimless high ball into AOS being marked by 2-3 players in the AI Semi to see this. That's not poor coaching- that's just being out of your depth as a player.

But that's the manager's fault.

Maybe you should get over that.

muppet

So do I have this right?

In 2012 they didn't have the skill set.
In 2013 they didn't have the sideline.
In 2014? [go on - you forgot the marquee forward - or maybe a defensive system]
In 2015 they were short 3 - 4 players.

And hilariously, you say the players are the ones blaming everyone else?  ;D

You have done that for 3 of the last four years for them with hardly a cliché left unmolested.

They have done it once. And most Mayo supporters are happy enough with it. That speaks volumes to those who might be of a listening disposition.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2015, 02:58:13 PM
So do I have this right?

You have done that for 3 of the last four years for them with hardly a cliché left unmolested.

They have done it once. And most Mayo supporters are happy enough with it. That speaks volumes to those who might be of a listening disposition.

You didn't have the skillset or the sideline. But according to the players it's all the sideline. Patently obvious it isn't

But please continue.

muppet

Quote from: INDIANA on October 03, 2015, 03:13:41 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2015, 02:58:13 PM
So do I have this right?

You didn't have the skillset or the sideline. But according to the players it's all the sideline. Patently obvious it isn't

But please continue.

But what about the 3 - 4 players we are missing as well?
MWWSI 2017

Wildweasel74

Well i say it first, Mayo wouldn't win the all-ireland next year no matter who the manager is. Been hoping they done it past number of years, was there the day they should done in back in 1996.
Two. holmes and Connelly done more for Mayo football in their time than any wannabe county man on here.
You were beat by Donegal in 2012 who had better forwards, beat by Dublin 2013/15 who had better forwards, beat by Kerry 2014 who again had better forwards.

Where the problem with Mayo lads, u blind??

muppet

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on October 03, 2015, 03:21:46 PM
Well i say it first, Mayo wouldn't win the all-ireland next year no matter who the manager is. Been hoping they done it past number of years, was there the day they should done in back in 1996.
Two. holmes and Connelly done more for Mayo football in their time than any wannabe county man on here.
You were beat by Donegal in 2012 who had better forwards, beat by Dublin 2013/15 who had better forwards, beat by Kerry 2014 who again had better forwards.

We can't go out and buy Michael Murphy or Bernard Brogan. If we could we would, but we can't. So we will work with what we have. That is the way of the GAA.

Mayo massively outscored the Kerry forwards versus the same Dublin defence this year. So much for their 'better forwards'.
We outscored Donegal against the Kerry backs last year. So much for their 'better forwards'.

There is more to football than cliches.

Why is it that people persist with these one-dimentional arguments? Is it because they heard someone else say it once and thought it sounded good? The Brolly sound-byte view of the world has done an awful lot of damage.

MWWSI 2017

heffo

Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2015, 03:31:50 PM

We can't go out and buy Michael Murphy or Bernard Brogan. If we could we would, but we can't. So we will work with what we have. That is the way of the GAA.

Mayo massively outscored the Kerry forwards versus the same Dublin defence this year. So much for their 'better forwards'.
We outscored Donegal against the Kerry backs last year. So much for their 'better forwards'.

Why is it that people persist with these one-dimentional arguments? Is it because they heard someone else say it once and thought it sounded good? The Brolly sound-byte view of the world has done an awful lot of damage.

The issue isn't popping over banker 21 yard frees to boost statistics - if it were, Cillian O'Connor would be a marquee forward.

The issue is not having a genius of a forward who can create or conjour a score from nowhere. Mayo haven't had that for a long time and don't have it now.

As no-one is willing to address it, you've also given Horan far too easy a ride for the 2013 AI final where we badly misfired and you'll unlikely ever have an easier chance of winning.

muppet

Quote from: heffo on October 03, 2015, 03:39:34 PM
Quote from: muppet on October 03, 2015, 03:31:50 PM

The issue isn't popping over banker 21 yard frees to boost statistics - if it were, Cillian O'Connor would be a marquee forward.

The issue is not having a genius of a forward who can create or conjour a score from nowhere. Mayo haven't had that for a long time and don't have it now.

As no-one is willing to address it, you've also given Horan far too easy a ride for the 2013 AI final where we badly misfired and you'll unlikely ever have an easier chance of winning.

I wanted a change after that game. I was on this site, after that final, saying 2014 would be a wasted year, which it was. But so was this year.

Our problem is not with our forwards. It is us wanting them to play with no plan or system. The days of McDonald unlocking defences off the cuff are long gone.

Watch this gif a few times and you will see the difference between a plan and no plan. The irony being that in this case, the 'no plan' actually worked, because of the speed at which O'Sé got the shot away.

Please watch this a few times and watch the Donegal defenders along the blanket versus the Mayo players. The difference is stark:

http://gfycat.com/HeavyPastArcticwolf

Before Seamus launched the ball in you can see the 2 Donegal defensive walls of 4 players, looking for Mayo runners. As soon as Seamus kicks it the 2nd wall of 4 turns and sprint towards their defence, leaving their men far behind. The 4 Donegal defenders (I know Neil Gallagher appears to be one of them for that play) do this instantly, so you know it is a well worked drill. They don't think, they just do it. That is the sideline at work.

But not one single Mayo forward makes a run to support Aiden. Not one. This is not down to their ability to take a point or beat a man, or skill-set as forwards, this is down to the complete lack of a plan after the ball is kicked long.

Mark McHugh's job wasn't to stop O'Sé. It was to hold him up for the 2 more seconds needed before the cavalry arrived. If he had bought those two seconds, O'Sé would have been swallowed up with no one to pass to.
MWWSI 2017

From the Bunker

No issues with the other statements about Donegal and Dublin. Just have a look at the game again highlighted in bold. Once again, I reiterate, we lost that game and no argument will stand up when you lose. You can throw any myth, lie or fairytale and it will be backed up because we lost.

Now I will whisper the following: Kerry got a free ride from the referee in the replay last year.

Syferus

Quote from: fearsiuil on October 03, 2015, 02:16:57 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 03, 2015, 01:39:05 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 03, 2015, 11:41:00 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on October 03, 2015, 12:20:41 AM
Lar, in your post above, you said that H/C were only there to ''keep Mc Stay out''. Over the past 12 mths, i've heard several people say the same thing. Why is that the case? Why don't the Mayo Co Board want him? Only the other day, he said he had applied twice to manage Mayo, and accepted last year, that ''it's never going to happen'.

I dunno either and since McStay  never disclosed what was going on, I'll probably never know.  But the hoors at the top were prepared to go to almost any lengths to stop him.
Mind you, he did hint that he wasn't expecting even the courtesy of an interview when he applied last year. So whatever caused the problem had nothing to do with his application last year.
Paddy and his cohorts stopped at nothing to shoo him off the premises and this lead to one executive member resigning in protest at the shenanigans going on and the chairman having to step down when his part in the sorry process became known.
Where did we hear that the players didn't want Lord Liam because he wrote nasty things about them?
It certainly wasn't from any player and McStay wasn't the one to divulge it either.
Mac did say in an oblique way in one of his newspaper pieces that the players should be mature enough to take a bit of fair criticism in their stride but he didn't claim that any player had actually objected to anything McHale wrote. I think he was just reacting to the rumour.
So that story had to come from the CB.
Same goes for McStay's alleged shopping list.
Mike told us we'd be shocked if we found out what McStay was looking for. But he never went any further. So the rumour went out that Kdevin was looking for compensation for giving up his work with RTE and with the papers he wrote for. He was a mercenary fecker in other words.
But Roscommon had no problem with his shopping list or so it would appear. Come to think of it, Mike never told us what we would be shocked about.
I would expect Mike to do the decent thing now and consider his position. It's untenable by any standard.

I can guarantee you we're not compensating McStay for all his lost work. In fact any word out of the Hatch seemed to suggest he was looking for the funds to set-up a professional structure for the senior county team, with talk of a 12 man team ready to go long before he was officially announced as manager. Smells an awful lot like BS seeded by your illustrious CB - McStay seems to have genuinely wanted to manage his native county and twice he's been told to f**k off. Few people seem to have bad words to say about McStay as a man so the idea that he was trying to milk Mayo for a load of lost personal revenue doesn't sync up at all.
Before you go off believing what you want to be true the reality is McStay put his cards on the table and told Mayo county board what price himself and McHale came at and it was far from cheap. His own expectation was 2.5 times what McHale was to get.

Now he goes to Roscommon and all he requests is for money to be put in place for professional structures?  You have a lot of learning to catch up on.

For the record I wanted McStay to get the gig after Horan but now he is dead to me! ;)

McStay, like any manager at IC, will be getting some manner of sweetener for what is essentially a full-time job. I didn't say he would be getting nothing. But the idea we can match his demands (even with Mr. Mulryan on board - wasn't he belly-up himself a few years ago too?) and the Mayo CB couldn't is pretty obviously not correct. We have nothing like the resources Mayo have even now.

I have no doubt McStay demanded far more of the Mayo CB than C&H did, who clearly appeared more willing to work within constraints. But then McStay was the guy in the Horan mold that wasn't going to let the CB do a half-assed job on something that can't be half-assed if your goal is seriously to win an AI.

Maybe the bank account was and is so dry in Mayo that we somehow have more capital than ye now, but I severely doubt that is that case - much more likely the CB wanted Connelly and they were getting him no matter what McStay said or did.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Syferus on October 03, 2015, 05:07:16 PM

Maybe the bank account was and is so dry in Mayo that we somehow have more capital than ye now, but I severely doubt that is that case - much more likely the CB wanted Connelly and they were getting him no matter what McStay said or did.

Pretty sure that Croke Park are monitoring Mayo Gaa's finances very closely at the moment because of the dig-out they gave them with regards to the loan. Had heard that Mayo had limits imposed from Croke Park with regards to the numbers involved with the senior panel because of costs last year and I presume that the situation will continue for a fair while until Mayo get their finances sorted out.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on October 03, 2015, 05:07:16 PM
Quote from: fearsiuil on October 03, 2015, 02:16:57 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 03, 2015, 01:39:05 PM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 03, 2015, 11:41:00 AM
Quote from: Shrewdness on October 03, 2015, 12:20:41 AM
Lar, in your post above, you said that H/C were only there to ''keep Mc Stay out''. Over the past 12 mths, i've heard several people say the same thing. Why is that the case? Why don't the Mayo Co Board want him? Only the other day, he said he had applied twice to manage Mayo, and accepted last year, that ''it's never going to happen'.

I dunno either and since McStay  never disclosed what was going on, I'll probably never know.  But the hoors at the top were prepared to go to almost any lengths to stop him.
Mind you, he did hint that he wasn't expecting even the courtesy of an interview when he applied last year. So whatever caused the problem had nothing to do with his application last year.
Paddy and his cohorts stopped at nothing to shoo him off the premises and this lead to one executive member resigning in protest at the shenanigans going on and the chairman having to step down when his part in the sorry process became known.
Where did we hear that the players didn't want Lord Liam because he wrote nasty things about them?
It certainly wasn't from any player and McStay wasn't the one to divulge it either.
Mac did say in an oblique way in one of his newspaper pieces that the players should be mature enough to take a bit of fair criticism in their stride but he didn't claim that any player had actually objected to anything McHale wrote. I think he was just reacting to the rumour.
So that story had to come from the CB.
Same goes for McStay's alleged shopping list.
Mike told us we'd be shocked if we found out what McStay was looking for. But he never went any further. So the rumour went out that Kdevin was looking for compensation for giving up his work with RTE and with the papers he wrote for. He was a mercenary fecker in other words.
But Roscommon had no problem with his shopping list or so it would appear. Come to think of it, Mike never told us what we would be shocked about.
I would expect Mike to do the decent thing now and consider his position. It's untenable by any standard.

I can guarantee you we're not compensating McStay for all his lost work. In fact any word out of the Hatch seemed to suggest he was looking for the funds to set-up a professional structure for the senior county team, with talk of a 12 man team ready to go long before he was officially announced as manager. Smells an awful lot like BS seeded by your illustrious CB - McStay seems to have genuinely wanted to manage his native county and twice he's been told to f**k off. Few people seem to have bad words to say about McStay as a man so the idea that he was trying to milk Mayo for a load of lost personal revenue doesn't sync up at all.
Before you go off believing what you want to be true the reality is McStay put his cards on the table and told Mayo county board what price himself and McHale came at and it was far from cheap. His own expectation was 2.5 times what McHale was to get.

Now he goes to Roscommon and all he requests is for money to be put in place for professional structures?  You have a lot of learning to catch up on.

For the record I wanted McStay to get the gig after Horan but now he is dead to me! ;)

McStay, like any manager at IC, will be getting some manner of sweetener for what is essentially a full-time job. I didn't say he would be getting nothing. But the idea we can match his demands (even with Mr. Mulryan on board - wasn't he belly-up himself a few years ago too?) and the Mayo CB couldn't is pretty obviously not correct. We have nothing like the resources Mayo have even now.

I have no doubt McStay demanded far more of the Mayo CB than C&H did, who clearly appeared more willing to work within constraints. But then McStay was the guy in the Horan mold that wasn't going to let the CB do a half-assed job on something that can't be half-assed if your goal is seriously to win an AI.

Maybe the bank account was and is so dry in Mayo that we somehow have more capital than ye now
, but I severely doubt that is that case  much more likely the CB wanted Connelly and they were getting him no matter what McStay said or did.
A lot of ifs, buts, whats and maybes thrown in there along with a dose of howse-yer-father to cap it all.
Do you know what McStay's demands were and can you say that they were the same ones he is alleged to have put to the Mayo County Board?
It's a no-brainer to say that he asked more from the CB than H/C did since that pair asked for sweet FA. They were appointed on the understanding that they would work to the limits imposed by the CB.
If he only asked for a pint of Guinness, he was seeking more than the H/C since they didn't go forward for selection to begin with. Of course they were willing to dance to the CB's tune since that was the sole reason for their appointment. They didn't have to ask for anything and they knew what they were going to get.
Now if ye have nothing like the resources Mayo has even now, how come you think that somehow you hoors have more moolah than we do?

.."much more likely the CB wanted Connelly and they were getting him no matter what McStay said or did."
Where have you been, ya poor gosson, if you still don't know the score here?
Of course Mike wanted Noel even though he knew Noel couldn't find the time to do the job properly because of work commitments so the CB went after Pateen and got him to change his mind and share the load with Noel. Eeven though he had already said he wasn't interested one little bit.
Now there's one for ya; how much do you think Holmes got to make him change his mind?
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi