Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenC

I'm assuming that the Mayo players had someone in mind as a manager when they made this move. Surely they wouldn't have taken this step without having a good idea of who would come in instead? Could they have already made contact with Horan and got some reassurances that if the way was clear, he would come back?

moysider

Maybe but I did not get this impression from a player. This vote was taken a couple of weeks ago when the managerial landscape may have looked a bit different.
Maybe they just wanted rid of the immediate problem and then see what happens?

muppet

Quote from: StephenC on October 02, 2015, 02:57:50 PM
I'm assuming that the Mayo players had someone in mind as a manager when they made this move. Surely they wouldn't have taken this step without having a good idea of who would come in instead? Could they have already made contact with Horan and got some reassurances that if the way was clear, he would come back?

When a manager loses the dressing room, e.g. in English soccer, is it always incumbent on the players to have a new manager 'in mind'?
MWWSI 2017

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: muppet on October 02, 2015, 03:34:32 PM

When a manager loses the dressing room, e.g. in English soccer, is it always incumbent on the players to have a new manager 'in mind'?

No but then again in soccer, players don't generally take a vote and present it to the owners of the club demanding that the management be removed. At least if it has happened I've never heard of it.

Mac2

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 02, 2015, 03:50:38 PM

No but then again in soccer, players don't generally take a vote and present it to the owners of the club demanding that the management be removed. At least if it has happened I've never heard of it.
In this case they didn't present it to the owners, the CB might think they own Mayo football but they don't.

moysider

Maybe or as I said maybe they just saw no future with the 2.

Here's a story that may put a different perspective on things if true. I think it might have foundation.
Apparently one of the grievances players have is of outsider interference. They are unhappy that Sir John was in the dressing room before at least one of the Dublin games.

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 02, 2015, 03:50:38 PM

No, but then again in soccer, the players just get their agents to agitate against the manager in the media.
MWWSI 2017

Lar Naparka

I just read John  Casey's piece in the Mayo Advisor and the thick plottens, as my old Connemara buddy used to say. He says he was told that Cillian and Keith had a meeting with the gruesome twosome before the story went public and told them about the players complaints.
That's what I would have expected of them  and if it's true, then Vincent and Mike were telling porkies when they said the move came as a surprise to them.
Surely, at the very least, Noel would have told the brother so the CB being surprised at anything the players had in mind is a load of rubbish. But what  worries me is that somebody is deliberately leaking snips of information to the media and it isn't being done in the best interests of Mayo football.
That could also explain how, first, the way Lee Keegan voted was picked up by the media and then the names of three others that were published.
I very much doubt that the players wanted the results of the vote to be made public either.
I can't imagine any of the players would spill the beans but who else would be in a position to disclose what happened at their meeting.

It's a bit of a worry alright.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

heffo

Mayo have a backroom team of 20??

ballinaman

Shrewdness

Lar, i heard that the vote took place on the Saturday before last, 27-7..Higgins and O'Connor had to wait a week to meet H/C as Connelly was out of the country on a family holiday. He wasn't long home last Sunday when the four met and the players decision was relayed by the players..Someone on management/CO board side of the fence leaking info.

manfromdelmonte

this is ridiculous

Cork haven't recovered from the hurling strikes back in the day

muppet

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on October 02, 2015, 06:53:18 PM
this is ridiculous

Cork haven't recovered from the hurling strikes back in the day

Is there a strike now?
MWWSI 2017

Wildweasel74

Jack O`Shea says he takes you`s, Back to pushing the cars in the carpark lads lol

heffo

Quote from: ballinaman on October 02, 2015, 06:07:42 PM
Quote from: heffo on October 02, 2015, 06:02:47 PM
Mayo have a backroom team of 20??
12 off top of head.

20 according to John Casey (I think) in one of the Mayo locals - he listed them off.