Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shrewdness

What i find fascinating is the two faced attitude by some, but not all , of the Mayo posters over Kevin Mc Stay.. After the selection shambles in Mayo 12 months ago, we heard how Mc Stay was the people's choice and should have got the job. Now, all of a sudden, he is written off and his managerial credentials called into question by many Mayo posters, not just on here, but on other forums where Mayoites are to be found.. No doubt, he's now persona non grata to some, because his decision to take the manager's job in Ros, means that he might never manage Mayo..... Yet, here on these same pages, we have some Mayo posters claiming that Stephen Rochford is the man to solve their problems....But why? What has he achieved that Mc Stay hasn't achieved?...Mc Stay is beyond Mayo's reach now, so he has to be discredited...Lar, if you want a list of hounded managers, try the following.... Brian Mc Donald, Jack O'Shea, Mickey Moran, John O'Mahony, Pat Holmes, Noel Connelly.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: westbound on October 01, 2015, 11:32:39 AM
Quote from: Lar Naparka on October 01, 2015, 11:15:29 AM
Quote from: Syferus on October 01, 2015, 04:39:15 AM
Quote from: Ohtoohtobe on October 01, 2015, 01:29:27 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on September 30, 2015, 09:27:07 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 30, 2015, 09:04:07 PM
Quote from: shark on September 30, 2015, 08:38:04 PM
Quote from: Chimley on September 30, 2015, 07:59:38 PM
I can't believe that the players have embarked on this course of action without a couple of moves ahead worked out in advance. I'd say that they will next put a gun to the county boards head, threatening to pull out of the squad en masse unless they get new management with guarantees of higher level of preparation/coaching/medical etc. They may not have any say in names but the likes of Rochford might be acceptable to both sides.

Rochford is the obvious choice. With Buckley alongside. Spoke to a couple of the Corofin lads, before they won their all-Ireland, and they said his level of preparation both on themselves and opposition was like nothing they'd ever seen. Seems to be exactly what the Mayo players feel the current setup is lacking.

K-Mac was the obvious choice last year too Shark.

No he wasn't. I know you're excited but he's not proven at senior intercounty level. Neither mgmt team on offer last year stood out

Glad to hear someone else say what seems obvious to me. The more time goes on, the more it feels like I've stepped into a parallel universe where Kevin McStay is the most sought-after manager in Ireland.
On the basis of what? One club All-Ireland with a team that was on the brink of it before?
I remember the first time I heard talk of McStay as an IC manager, I thought it was a bit absurd. His reputation has grown and grown while he's done nothing. The same syndrome that saw Andy Reid grow into some kind of soccer messiah in the minds of Irish fans a few years back.
My prediction is that his reputation will diminish fairly quickly once he actually has to manage a team and deal with the knee-jerk reaction to every result.

Big-Team-Didn't-Get-Him-So-He's-Overated Syndrome.

Cute.

+1.
Now, now Syf, you're being a bit catty here.  ;D ;D
Talk about making yourself a hostage to fortune.
For a county that shafts managers more often than Fine Gael overthrows leaders, you'd be the last one to lecture us about anything.
John Maughan, Tonmmy Carr, Fergie, John Evans all got the bum's rush so why are you feeling cocky about Kevin McStay? (Did I forget anyone here ? Since I don't bother me bum about what goes on in your God-forsaken county, I might have left one or two out.)
His chances of being in the job a year from now are just about the same as Lar being elected Pope before he gets his P45.

That's a terrible comparison! Fine Gael haven't overthrown a leader in at least 13 years! (they might have tried once or twice since then, but your county man is leader since 2002!)   ;) ;)
I know but we're trying hard to get rid of the bustard and the sooner , the better. A bit like Laurel and Hardy, if you follow me.
I hope that pair can take the hint before we tar and  feather the feckers.
PS who needs facts anyway when you're trying to shoo the likes of Syferus ans Rossfan off the premises.
Them bucks wouldn't know a fact if it jumped up and bit them on the nose. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Tubberman

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 01, 2015, 12:52:09 PM
What i find fascinating is the two faced attitude by some, but not all , of the Mayo posters over Kevin Mc Stay.. After the selection shambles in Mayo 12 months ago, we heard how Mc Stay was the people's choice and should have got the job. Now, all of a sudden, he is written off and his managerial credentials called into question by many Mayo posters, not just on here, but on other forums where Mayoites are to be found.. No doubt, he's now persona non grata to some, because his decision to take the manager's job in Ros, means that he might never manage Mayo..... Yet, here on these same pages, we have some Mayo posters claiming that Stephen Rochford is the man to solve their problems....But why? What has he achieved that Mc Stay hasn't achieved?...Mc Stay is beyond Mayo's reach now, so he has to be discredited...Lar, if you want a list of hounded managers, try the following.... Brian Mc Donald, Jack O'Shea, Mickey Moran, John O'Mahony, Pat Holmes, Noel Connelly.

In case that's aimed at me, I'm not trying to discredit McStay - or at least I'm not taking credit off him that I gave him last year, because I never said he was the saviour last year. I couldn't decide which mgmt team was better or worse, although it looks like we may have our answer now :(   
I'd like to see McStay do well because I think he's a good guy, and has the balls to leave the RTE studio and put his money where his mouth is. But I'm not convinced yet that he'll be a great success, and obviously I'd find it hard to wish success on the Rossies!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Shrewdness on October 01, 2015, 12:52:09 PM

Oh yes please; tell you what, when you've run McStay and Lord Liam off the premises, we'll give you that effin' pair for nothing as long as you guarantee that you'll keep the hoors until Ros wins an All-Ireland-or for eternity, whichever is the longer..

moysider

Has Des Newton been erased from history or did I dream that bit?

Shrewdness

No Tubberman, it wasn't aimed at you specifically.

moysider

Well done lads. We manage to divert attention onto the Rossies.

Nihilist

Quote from: moysider on October 01, 2015, 02:14:48 PM
Well done lads. We manage to divert attention onto the Rossies.

It was bound to happen.

bucko

Is this now officially declared as a Rossie thread??? :P

moysider

I think so.
We ll have to get Iolar to change it to.
How does Mayo Player Mutiny affect the future of Rossistan?

Syferus

Quote from: moysider on October 01, 2015, 02:39:30 PM
I think so.
We ll have to get Iolar to change it to.
How does Mayo Player Mutiny affect the future of Rossistan?

Pretty sure the answer to every question in this thread is Evan Regan,  Moy.

Shannoncider

Quote from: Syferus on October 01, 2015, 12:15:35 PM
I can't believe that the players have embarked on this course of action without a couple of moves ahead worked out in advance. I'd say that they will next put a gun to the county boards head, threatening to pull out of the squad en masse unless they get new management with guarantees of higher level of preparation/coaching/medical etc. They may not have any say in names but the likes of Rochford might be acceptable to both sides.

Rochford is the obvious choice. With Buckley alongside. Spoke to a couple of the Corofin lads, before they won their all-Ireland, and they said his level of preparation both on themselves and opposition was like nothing they'd ever seen. Seems to be exactly what the Mayo players feel the current setup is lacking.

No he wasn't. I know you're excited but he's not proven at senior intercounty level. Neither mgmt team on offer last year stood out

Glad to hear someone else say what seems obvious to me. The more time goes on, the more it feels like I've stepped into a parallel universe where Kevin McStay is the most sought-after manager in Ireland.
On the basis of what? One club All-Ireland with a team that was on the brink of it before?
I remember the first time I heard talk of McStay as an IC manager, I thought it was a bit absurd. His reputation has grown and grown while he's done nothing. The same syndrome that saw Andy Reid grow into some kind of soccer messiah in the minds of Irish fans a few years back.
My prediction is that his reputation will diminish fairly quickly once he actually has to manage a team and deal with the knee-jerk reaction to every result.

Cute.

+1.
For a county that shafts managers more often than Fine Gael overthrows leaders, you'd be the last one to lecture us about anything.
John Maughan, Tonmmy Carr, Fergie, John Evans all got the bum's rush so why are you feeling cocky about Kevin McStay? (Did I forget anyone here ? Since I don't bother me bum about what goes on in your God-forsaken county, I might have left one or two out.)
His chances of being in the job a year from now are just about the same as Lar being elected Pope before he gets his P45.

No one wanted FOD to go in 2011. He had troubles with the way the CB were running things but the last man of the old regime is stepping down in December, which facilitated this appointment.

Whatever way you look at it Mayo have brought a shit storm on top of themselves over the last 12 months. That's what you should be worried about Lar.

That's not totally true there was a small number in the minority alright that wanted rid of fergal. His league form was terrible and he never beat any team worth mentioning in championship. The same people still have our doubts myself included.

Syferus

Quote from: Shannoncider on October 01, 2015, 03:21:49 PM
Quote from: Syferus on October 01, 2015, 12:15:35 PM

Cute.

+1.

No one wanted FOD to go in 2011. He had troubles with the way the CB were running things but the last man of the old regime is stepping down in December, which facilitated this appointment.

Whatever way you look at it Mayo have brought a shit storm on top of themselves over the last 12 months. That's what you should be worried about Lar.

That's not totally true there was a small number in the minority alright that wanted rid of fergal. His league form was terrible and he never beat any team worth mentioning in championship. The same people still have our doubts myself included.

You can't please everyone. And this team of note shute -  plenty had Sligo down as a team of note after beating Mayo and Galway. FOD had us neck and neck in development with the Mayo the next year,  a team that went on to win 5 in a row.  Des had us being hammered at home to a brutal Galway side. 

Rossfan

Clogher/Crossbar has turned up here now I see ::)
Let's stick to the Subject - the Rhus are having a Civil War.
Long may it continue till John O'M is free to take over and return them to 2010

Or till this thread hits the 200 page mark
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Rossfan on October 01, 2015, 03:52:28 PM
Clogher/Crossbar has turned up here now I see ::)
Let's stick to the Subject - the Rhus are having a Civil War.
Long may it continue till John O'M is free to take over and return them to 2010

Or till this thread hits the 200 page mark
With you and the other rosquitoes buzzing around the place, we should have the 200 before the weekend.