Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Quote from: Shrewdness on September 30, 2015, 08:25:18 PM
If the Mayo players threaten to withdraw en masse from the panel, the Mayo Co Board could call their bluff and disband the panel. When the Roscommon Senior team's discipline went a bit hollywood 12 or 13 years ago, the Co Board disbanded the panel. I'm sure it won't happen in Mayo, but one thing's for sure, the Mayo Co Board won't appreciate the player's putting a ''gun to their head''.
It was only a paper exercise anyway as panels are in effect disbanded when you exit the Championship.
If the players aren't prepared to work with a manager(s) then the manager(s) has/have no future there.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: shark on September 30, 2015, 08:38:04 PM
Quote from: Chimley on September 30, 2015, 07:59:38 PM
I can't believe that the players have embarked on this course of action without a couple of moves ahead worked out in advance. I'd say that they will next put a gun to the county boards head, threatening to pull out of the squad en masse unless they get new management with guarantees of higher level of preparation/coaching/medical etc. They may not have any say in names but the likes of Rochford might be acceptable to both sides.

Rochford is the obvious choice. With Buckley alongside. Spoke to a couple of the Corofin lads, before they won their all-Ireland, and they said his level of preparation both on themselves and opposition was like nothing they'd ever seen. Seems to be exactly what the Mayo players feel the current setup is lacking.

K-Mac was the obvious choice last year too Shark.

Tubberman

Quote from: Syferus on September 30, 2015, 09:04:07 PM
I can't believe that the players have embarked on this course of action without a couple of moves ahead worked out in advance. I'd say that they will next put a gun to the county boards head, threatening to pull out of the squad en masse unless they get new management with guarantees of higher level of preparation/coaching/medical etc. They may not have any say in names but the likes of Rochford might be acceptable to both sides.

Rochford is the obvious choice. With Buckley alongside. Spoke to a couple of the Corofin lads, before they won their all-Ireland, and they said his level of preparation both on themselves and opposition was like nothing they'd ever seen. Seems to be exactly what the Mayo players feel the current setup is lacking.

No he wasn't. I know you're excited but he's not proven at senior intercounty level. Neither mgmt team on offer last year stood out
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Chimley

If the Mayo players threaten to withdraw en masse from the panel, the Mayo Co Board could call their bluff and disband the panel. When the Roscommon Senior team's discipline went a bit hollywood 12 or 13 years ago, the Co Board disbanded the panel. I'm sure it won't happen in Mayo, but one thing's for sure, the Mayo Co Board won't appreciate the player's putting a ''gun to their head''.

I'd say that the players have reached a conclusion that another year of Pat and Noel would be another year lost and therefore the threat is not empty. They'd probably be happier sitting at home watching the Sunday game than face the certainty of another disappointing campaign that would be fated to come up short.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Chimley on September 30, 2015, 10:36:28 PM

I'd say that the players have reached a conclusion that another year of Pat and Noel would be another year lost and therefore the threat is not empty. They'd probably be happier sitting at home watching the Sunday game than face the certainty of another disappointing campaign that would be fated to come up short.
So the players are a few moves ahead and have thought this out? Next manager?

Syferus

Quote from: Tubberman on September 30, 2015, 09:27:07 PM

No he wasn't. I know you're excited but he's not proven at senior intercounty level. Neither mgmt team on offer last year stood out

After Horan you needed a man with a plan.  You picked the CB vice-chairman's brother. Hard to make the case that McStay wasn't Mayo's last best hope of winning an AI with this team.

In all honesty I have huge respect for the current Mayo team - easily the second best Connacht side in my lifetime - but I am very happy Mayo scuffed the choice last Autumn and let us get McStay, a man I rate very highly. If we give him time we'll be well placed.

Blowitupref

I don't think James Horan was a stand out candidate before he became Mayo manager five years ago but he and his management are the reason why Mayo are top 3/4 side right now when under another less clued in manager they could be in the doldrums.

Result wise wasn't a whole alot different this year though behind the scenes the players must feel the standards are slipping and the management aren't as professional as they should be however how all of this couldn't be done behind closed doors is very poor by Mayo.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

maigheo

As was said before McStay wanted to be compensated for his Sunday game gig which was never going to fly with the huge debts the Mayo county board have.For me if McStay truly wanted the job he should have left  out his comp. for the Sunday game and even then he may not have got the job but at least he would have got to the interview process.He may well turn out to be a very good manager but to say that if he got the Mayo job we would be all ireland champs is fairy tale stuff.

Shrewdness

If/when H/C step down, what are the chances of James Horan making an immediate return? Is this what the players' move was really designed to achieve?

mckieran

Quote from: Syferus on September 30, 2015, 10:56:13 PM

After Horan you needed a man with a plan.  You picked the CB vice-chairman's brother. Hard to make the case that McStay wasn't Mayo's last best hope of winning an AI with this team.

In all honesty I have huge respect for the current Mayo team - easily the second best Connacht side in my lifetime - but I am very happy Mayo scuffed the choice last Autumn and let us get McStay, a man I rate very highly. If we give him time we'll be well placed.

I have to ask - what team do you consider the best? And what age are you (so I know what teams are within your lifetime)?

moysider

Who picked him?

In a perverse way I'm kinda enjoying this!

There is no shock or surprise about the place by this development. A couple of high ranking officers pulled a stroke a year ago ( people seem to forget a member of the executive resigned because he disapproved of how things were going) and chickens have come home to roost. Zero sympathy for H/C because they were part of the conspiracy and had the ego to think they could do the job and be heroes. Now it looks like their ego will maintain them to draw out a damaging end game.

The chairman and secretary are trying to sing off the same hymn sheet, but haven't a note in their head between them ( sound bites about processes and bullshit), but they are out of their depth and drowning - beyond treading water.

The day is well gone when county board officers ( hang around long enough and you ll get a top job) have the power to appoint a manager. Many of the fells that do that are older, conservative and reactionary. Out of touch and time on their hands and in this case have a family member to look after. It's all bad.

To see Martin Carney rant like he did was sad. Alright there is a generation gap but he worked with kids all his life. I m sure he knows Pat well but that was cringe worthy.

Anyway, as I said, looking forward to see how this resolves itself. It ll shorten up the winter.

As a Mayo fan I'm delighted the players have done this. The alternative was to keep quiet, go travelling, work commitments, retire before their time. That was a real scenario. The ball is now in Mike's court and he has a big decision to make. He was the liaison officer as well on the management team and behaved all confused about turn of events. What did he say again 'I said we ve had the process to eliminate this happenin'

Christ Mike! you were the bloody process!!

WTF can he possibly be thinking now by talking to player representatives?  I dunno but I would suspect that the players regarded him with deep suspicion. More likely riding shotgun for the management than having rapport for the players. Obviously a trouble shooter for an unwanted management imo. He's under unreal stress right now but did not do his credibility any good when interviewed last night. Did not make sense. Vincent was sent out to bat as well but it was tough listening. Sound man in wrong place at the wrong time.

mckieran

After Horan you needed a man with a plan. You picked the CB vice-chairman's brother. Hard to make the case that McStay wasn't Mayo's last best hope of winning an AI with this team.

That's putting a bit of an unfair spin on it. Last Mayo, there were 2 candidates that many Mayo fans saw as potential managers: Connelly & McStay (Holmes was never really considered as a serious standalone candidate). Both had credentials to get the job - Former Mayo players & both a success at management (Connelly with Mayo underage & McStay at club level). Connelly would have been a serious candidate regardless of his connection to the county board.

mckieran

Quote from: moysider on October 01, 2015, 12:18:52 AM

Who picked him?

There is no shock or surprise about the place by this development. A couple of high ranking officers pulled a stroke a year ago ( people seem to forget a member of the executive resigned because he disapproved of how things were going) and chickens have come home to roost. Zero sympathy for H/C because they were part of the conspiracy and had the ego to think they could do the job and be heroes. Now it looks like their ego will maintain them to draw out a damaging end game.

The chairman and secretary are trying to sing off the same hymn sheet, but haven't a note in their head between them ( sound bites about processes and bullshit), but they are out of their depth and drowning - beyond treading water.

The day is well gone when county board officers ( hang around long enough and you ll get a top job) have the power to appoint a manager. Many of the fells that do that are older, conservative and reactionary. Out of touch and time on their hands and in this case have a family member to look after. It's all bad.

To see Martin Carney rant like he did was sad. Alright there is a generation gap but he worked with kids all his life. I m sure he knows Pat well but that was cringe worthy.

Anyway, as I said, looking forward to see how this resolves itself. It ll shorten up the winter.

As a Mayo fan I'm delighted the players have done this. The alternative was to keep quiet, go travelling, work commitments, retire before their time. That was a real scenario. The ball is now in Mike's court and he has a big decision to make. He was the liaison officer as well on the management team and behaved all confused about turn of events. What did he say again 'I said we ve had the process to eliminate this happenin'

WTF can he possibly be thinking now by talking to player representatives?  I dunno but I would suspect that the players regarded him with deep suspicion. More likely riding shotgun for the management than having rapport for the players. Obviously a trouble shooter for an unwanted management imo. He's under unreal stress right now but did not do his credibility any good when interviewed last night. Did not make sense. Vincent was sent out to bat as well but it was tough listening. Sound man in wrong place at the wrong time.

Or maybe there was an alternative to actually approach the management throughout the year with their concerns, and try to get them addressed. As far as I can make out, there was nothing like that done at all. I don't think this is as black & white as you make it out to be.

But like you, I'm enjoying the prospect of sitting back and watching how it all works out!

moysider

Quote from: mckieran on October 01, 2015, 12:27:30 AM
Quote from: moysider on October 01, 2015, 12:18:52 AM

Who picked him?

Or maybe there was an alternative to actually approach the management throughout the year with their concerns, and try to get them addressed. As far as I can make out, there was nothing like that done at all. I don't think this is as black & white as you make it out to be.

But like you, I'm enjoying the prospect of sitting back and watching how it all works out!

When I initially saw that the chairman was a liaison officer between management and players it set the alarm bells ringing. You ve got  a joint ' experienced ' management with a panel of 40 players in pre season and they need a go between?

Nonsense. They pair didn't have it. Mightn t have won the AI but likes of Micko or Paudi in their pomp wouldn t need anybody watching teeir back and would have commanded the dressing room - by force of their personality and conviction. They would have been sympathetic and approachable as well while H/C were not and took a medieval approach.

Shrewdness

Three more of the 7 players who voted to keep H/C, have been named by media in Mayo. They're 'believed' to be Tom Parsons, Andy Moran and Mark Ronaldson.