Search for New Mayo Manager

Started by IolarCoisCuain, September 28, 2015, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macdanger2

Quote from: weareros on September 30, 2015, 01:14:44 PM
Quote from: Syferus on September 30, 2015, 12:46:33 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on September 30, 2015, 12:41:14 PM
The players apparently didn't want McHale involved in the management with Kevin McStay last year because of comments Mchale made about them in a local Mayo paper.

They don't want the current 2, who do they want?

Mayo posters have repeatedly said that was the Mayo CB seeding BS to support their agenda.  That's the more believable of the two possibilities too.

That raises the question why the players never corrected the record when a clearly dejected McHale said he never saw himself involved with Mayo again upon hearing the news and when McStay stated that the players were over-sensitive (God bless their sensitive souls or something to that effect were his words) if that was the reason he was not considered. Why would they not correct the record with two highly respected Mayo legends if they had not objected to McHale? And what were the words in the local Mayo press that so rattled them?

So what you're saying is that the CB last year were so close to the Mayo players that they rejected McStay & McHale (without interviewing them) due to misgivings from the players??

And this year, the same CB are so detached from the players that these rumblings came as a complete shock???  :o

weareros

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 30, 2015, 02:26:00 PM
The players apparently didn't want McHale involved in the management with Kevin McStay last year because of comments Mchale made about them in a local Mayo paper.

Mayo posters have repeatedly said that was the Mayo CB seeding BS to support their agenda.  That's the more believable of the two possibilities too.

That raises the question why the players never corrected the record when a clearly dejected McHale said he never saw himself involved with Mayo again upon hearing the news and when McStay stated that the players were over-sensitive (God bless their sensitive souls or something to that effect were his words) if that was the reason he was not considered. Why would they not correct the record with two highly respected Mayo legends if they had not objected to McHale? And what were the words in the local Mayo press that so rattled them?

So what you're saying is that the CB last year were so close to the Mayo players that they rejected McStay & McHale (without interviewing them) due to misgivings from the players??

And this year, the same CB are so detached from the players that these rumblings came as a complete shock???  :o

All I am stating is that the county board informed McStay (according to McStay) that the players did not want McHale. McStay went on record about this. If the county board misrepresented the players to McStay (which would be a very serious thing), then the players or a representative from the players should have corrected that. Now maybe they did but not in public anyway.

An Gaeilgoir

Was talking to a current Mayo player in a work situation earlier today, he started both Dublin games and played well, there were two things he mentioned to me, one last in the League game against Dublin earlier in the year, the current managers asked the player what did they think was the best way tactically to go in the second half! Also, he claimed that there was no defined tactical plan going into the second game... it was said on the bus going to the match,"We will see how the first 15 goes, and play it in 10 minute segments after that"..i asked him about pressuring Cluxton on the kick out, the management told them  "The dubs will be expecting that, so we dont be using up your energy" ..... As he said himself, it was "Bullshit" from beginning to end. That's one man's story, don't know if that's how it was or not.

macdanger2

Quote from: weareros on September 30, 2015, 03:10:34 PM

All I am stating is that the county board informed McStay (according to McStay) that the players did not want McHale. McStay went on record about this. If the county board misrepresented the players to McStay (which would be a very serious thing), then the players or a representative from the players should have corrected that. Now maybe they did but not in public anyway.

The new management team was a done deal at that stage, what was to be gained from setting the record straight in a public manner?

Canalman

Old saying goes . ........... Players win championships, managers lose them.

From what I saw anyway Mayo were the second best team this year in the championship. Didn't look a shambles or poorly managed  in any of the two semi finals they played.

Pretty poor imo to be pinpointing a league game in early spring as a rod to beat the current management with.

Would be amazed if MCB allow the management team to be changed.

Anyway, the first thing a new manager would do imo is gut the current panel of say 6 to 8 players . Which would be ironic.

heffo

Quote from: macdanger2 on September 30, 2015, 03:23:48 PM
Quote from: weareros on September 30, 2015, 03:10:34 PM

The new management team was a done deal at that stage, what was to be gained from setting the record straight in a public manner?

Aido could've tweeted it

brokencrossbar1

For the Mayo heads out there, forget about the tactics and training etc around the team but is the squad that the current management the best available or are there any standout omissions that they really should have brought in?

macdanger2

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 30, 2015, 03:50:09 PM
For the Mayo heads out there, forget about the tactics and training etc around the team but is the squad that the current management the best available or are there any standout omissions that they really should have brought in?

IMO, what's there is pretty much as good as we have. As with any squad, you can argue about some fringe players but there's no glaring omission

moysider

True. Likes of Carolan and Gibbons may come into the reckoning again if they regain full fitness and form.

highorlow

QuoteWas talking to a current Mayo player in a work situation earlier today, he started both Dublin games and played well, there were two things he mentioned to me, one last in the League game against Dublin earlier in the year, the current managers asked the player what did they think was the best way tactically to go in the second half! Also, he claimed that there was no defined tactical plan going into the second game... it was said on the bus going to the match,"We will see how the first 15 goes, and play it in 10 minute segments after that"..i asked him about pressuring Cluxton on the kick out, the management told them  "The dubs will be expecting that, so we dont be using up your energy" ..... As he said himself, it was "Bullshit" from beginning to end. That's one man's story, don't know if that's how it was or not.

Holy Shit. That's cat.
They get momentum, they go mad, here they go

FL/MAYO

Quote from: highorlow on September 30, 2015, 05:40:01 PM
QuoteWas talking to a current Mayo player in a work situation earlier today, he started both Dublin games and played well, there were two things he mentioned to me, one last in the League game against Dublin earlier in the year, the current managers asked the player what did they think was the best way tactically to go in the second half! Also, he claimed that there was no defined tactical plan going into the second game... it was said on the bus going to the match,"We will see how the first 15 goes, and play it in 10 minute segments after that"..i asked him about pressuring Cluxton on the kick out, the management told them  "The dubs will be expecting that, so we dont be using up your energy" ..... As he said himself, it was "Bullshit" from beginning to end. That's one man's story, don't know if that's how it was or not.

Holy Shit. That's cat.

Surely the players had somebody in mind as a new manager prior to this meeting. I cant see the likes of Cillian O' Connor and  Keith Higgins having this meeting with out some preplanning having been already done.   Since they seem to be close to Buckley would he have made informal approaches through some of his contacts in the GAA outside Mayo. This team is still Horans team so it will take a manager with a serious pedigree for this set of players to sit up and listen.

macdanger2

I wouldn't be sure they players have someone in mind and I don't think the players should have much of a say in choosing the manager. I think they're looking for a professional setup rather than a particular person

Chimley

I can't believe that the players have embarked on this course of action without a couple of moves ahead worked out in advance. I'd say that they will next put a gun to the county boards head, threatening to pull out of the squad en masse unless they get new management with guarantees of higher level of preparation/coaching/medical etc. They may not have any say in names but the likes of Rochford might be acceptable to both sides.

Shrewdness

If the Mayo players threaten to withdraw en masse from the panel, the Mayo Co Board could call their bluff and disband the panel. When the Roscommon Senior team's discipline went a bit hollywood 12 or 13 years ago, the Co Board disbanded the panel. I'm sure it won't happen in Mayo, but one thing's for sure, the Mayo Co Board won't appreciate the player's putting a ''gun to their head''.

shark

Quote from: Chimley on September 30, 2015, 07:59:38 PM
I can't believe that the players have embarked on this course of action without a couple of moves ahead worked out in advance. I'd say that they will next put a gun to the county boards head, threatening to pull out of the squad en masse unless they get new management with guarantees of higher level of preparation/coaching/medical etc. They may not have any say in names but the likes of Rochford might be acceptable to both sides.

Rochford is the obvious choice. With Buckley alongside. Spoke to a couple of the Corofin lads, before they won their all-Ireland, and they said his level of preparation both on themselves and opposition was like nothing they'd ever seen. Seems to be exactly what the Mayo players feel the current setup is lacking.