Previous topic - Next topic

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 28, 2016, 08:03:40 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 28, 2016, 07:50:20 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on December 28, 2016, 07:14:16 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 28, 2016, 06:54:04 PM
Quote from: criostlinn on December 28, 2016, 06:51:09 PM
As I said he doesn't get it.

Any one have any idea why Tyrone cannot beat this bunch of Mayo players. Looking at some of the nonsense on hear it should have only been a matter of turning up. Surely they didn't bottle it

I'm the pragmatist here.

It has nothing to do with "me not getting it" and everything to do with that line you are using being a fallacy for those who do not want to engage in introspection and objective thinking.

The reason couldn't beat Mayo last year was because they weren't good enough, that's the be all and end all really as far as that goes - the players take that on the chin - they didn't throw their management team under the bus as a result.

Jesus christ man obviously they weren't good enough. But why. Why were Tyrone not good enough

We didn't take our chances, I thought there were instances when we were bullied by a more physical side. We made poor decisions in the final third. I think management deserved some criticism regarding persisting with having players hitting frees from outside their range and starting McShane who is still a little raw.

A bit like Kerry last year, we had the chances, our gameplan worked in effect but the players didn't profit on them and as such, introspection from the players is where the solution lies, if we're back again next year repeating the same mistakes then it's a massive worry. This Mayo team is on their 7th campaign this coming season as opposed to the the 3rd for Tyrone. Time is running out for Mayo.

Remember Mayo Playing Tyrone in 2013 in a semi final!  That's year 5 by my reckoning this coming season. So your progress has been slow, if there has been progress? You still rely on a lot of Sean Cavanagh for inspiration and time is running on for him also.

Massive change in the Tyrone side in that time, of the 20 players involved that day:

McConnell, Gormley, Carlin, O'Neill have all retired.

McKenna, McGinley, Mark Donnelly, Aidan Cassidy and Kyle Coney are no longer on the panel.

It's also quite probable that neither Joe McMahon and Conor Clarke will make the Championship squad this year.

On the other hand, 10 of the Mayo starting XV that played us in 2013 started this year's quarter final against us - only Cavanagh x2, McCarron Harte, Mattie Donnelly and McAliskey started the 2016 game for us.

This Mayo side has been around the block for a good 6 years now, bar Diarmuid O'Connor, Durcan, Harrison and Coen it seems to be more or less the same side as 2011. You have a lot of that side hitting their 30s now - Clarke, Higgins, Cafferkey, Boyle, Moran x2, Dillon, Barrett, S O'Shea are in and around that age group.

Tyrone really only have the McMahons, Cavanaghs and McCarron in that age bracket. Joe McMahon has only played about 100 minutes of Championship football in the last 3 seasons too.

In comparison, this Tyrone side still have it all to prove, but the age profile is a good bit younger than that of Mayo who have been on the road for quite a while.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on December 28, 2016, 08:17:05 PM

Any one have any idea why Tyrone cannot beat this bunch of Mayo players. Looking at some of the nonsense on hear it should have only been a matter of turning up. Surely they didn't bottle it

I'm the pragmatist here.

It has nothing to do with "me not getting it" and everything to do with that line you are using being a fallacy for those who do not want to engage in introspection and objective thinking.

The reason couldn't beat Mayo last year was because they weren't good enough, that's the be all and end all really as far as that goes - the players take that on the chin - they didn't throw their management team under the bus as a result.

Jesus christ man obviously they weren't good enough. But why. Why were Tyrone not good enough

We didn't take our chances, I thought there were instances when we were bullied by a more physical side. We made poor decisions in the final third. I think management deserved some criticism regarding persisting with having players hitting frees from outside their range and starting McShane who is still a little raw.

A bit like Kerry last year, we had the chances, our gameplan worked in effect but the players didn't profit on them and as such, introspection from the players is where the solution lies, if we're back again next year repeating the same mistakes then it's a massive worry. This Mayo team is on their 7th campaign this coming season as opposed to the the 3rd for Tyrone. Time is running out for Mayo.

Remember Mayo Playing Tyrone in 2013 in a semi final!  That's year 5 by my reckoning this coming season. So your progress has been slow, if there has been progress? You still rely on a lot of Sean Cavanagh for inspiration and time is running on for him also.

Massive change in the Tyrone side in that time, of the 20 players involved that day:

McKenna, McGinley, Mark Donnelly, Aidan Cassidy and Kyle Coney are no longer on the panel.

It's also quite probable that neither Joe McMahon and Conor Clarke will make the Championship squad this year.

On the other hand, 10 of the Mayo starting XV that played us in 2013 started this year's quarter final against us - only Cavanagh x2, McCarron Harte, Mattie Donnelly and McAliskey started the 2016 game for us.

This Mayo side has been around the block for a good 6 years now, bar Diarmuid O'Connor, Durcan, Harrison and Coen it seems to be more or less the same side as 2011. You have a lot of that side hitting their 30s now - Clarke, Higgins, Cafferkey, Boyle, Moran x2, Dillon, Barrett, S O'Shea are in and around that age group.

Tyrone really only have the McMahons, Cavanaghs and McCarron in that age bracket. Joe McMahon has only played about 100 minutes of Championship football in the last 3 seasons too.

In comparison, this Tyrone side still have it all to prove, but the age profile is a good bit younger than that of Mayo who have been on the road for quite a while.

This year was Tyrones chance to push on. They had finally won a Ulster and beat Donegal. Their failure to beat a Mayo team in decline who had a 7 day turn around to deal with was a real setback. Tyrone are no nearer than Mayo to lifting Sam. Nothing in the past 5 years have pointed in that direction.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 28, 2016, 08:54:44 PM

I'm the pragmatist here.

This year was Tyrones chance to push on. They had finally won a Ulster and beat Donegal. Their failure to beat a Mayo team in decline who had a 7 day turn around to deal with was a real setback. Tyrone are no nearer than Mayo to lifting Sam. Nothing in the past 5 years have pointed in that direction.

Precisely, Tyrone are no closer than Mayo.

This Tyrone side are heading into year 3.
This Mayo side are heading into year 7.

The Tyrone squad also didn't jettison their management either.

gammysolo

Its interesting 13/19 of team that lost to Longford in 2010 played league Championship/League for Mayo this year. Maybe JOM didnt do a bad job after all.

MAYO: D Clarke; C Barrett, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; D Vaughan, T Howley, K McLoughlin; A O'Shea, P Harte; A Moran (0-2, 45), S O'Shea (0-1), A Freeman (0-5, one free); C Mortimer (0-2, one free), B Moran (0-1), A Dillon (0-3). Subs: L O'Malley for McLoughlin (35 mins), M Ronaldson for A O'Shea (42 mins), T Parsons for Howley (53 mins), WJ Padden for Harte (67 mins).

From the Bunker

Quote from: gammysolo on December 28, 2016, 09:09:12 PM
Its interesting 13/19 of team that lost to Longford in 2010 played league Championship/League for Mayo this year. Maybe JOM didnt do a bad job after all.

MAYO: D Clarke; C Barrett, G Cafferkey, K Higgins; D Vaughan, T Howley, K McLoughlin; A O'Shea, P Harte; A Moran (0-2, 45), S O'Shea (0-1), A Freeman (0-5, one free); C Mortimer (0-2, one free), B Moran (0-1), A Dillon (0-3). Subs: L O'Malley for McLoughlin (35 mins), M Ronaldson for A O'Shea (42 mins), T Parsons for Howley (53 mins), WJ Padden for Harte (67 mins).

Or Maybe Rossie lad he made a Pigs Ear out of a Silk purse at the time?

gammysolo

Quote from: From the Bunker on December 28, 2016, 09:22:30 PM

It had been a good year up to that winning 6/7 games in league. Things went pear shaped after league final defeat to Cork.

gammysolo

I'm the pragmatist here.

Is Clarke knee fcuked? McGinley looked decent-where he gone to?

From the Bunker

Quote from: gammysolo on December 28, 2016, 10:00:26 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on December 28, 2016, 09:22:30 PM

It had been a good year up to that winning 6/7 games in league. Things went pear shaped after league final defeat to Cork.

He won the FBD in a canter as well. Done all the hard work in the Spring and was left with an empty engine come summer!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: gammysolo on December 28, 2016, 10:04:11 PM

I'm the pragmatist here.

Is Clarke knee fcuked? McGinley looked decent-where he gone to?

McGinley was a headless chicken, great athlete but very erratic. Moved to London at the start of the 2015 season so dropped off the panel, I think he would have fallen off with the players coming through anyway like McCann and McNabb shaking off his injury troubles - not to mention guys like Brennan and McGeary coming along since.

Clarke is a great disappointment, broke onto the scene at a young and looked like he would be a mainstay for years to come, he had the size and mobility and had a good bit of football in him too. A bad knee injury and questionable rehab seems to have finished him at intercounty level, he is slow as a week in jail these days and seems to be dogged by minor injuries. I'd say he's one of the likely players to be culled after the McKenna Cup.

southtyronegael

mc cann is some replacement for mc ginley alright.lol same erratic play only with even worse feet than mc ginley. its prob why tyrone havent pushed on.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 28, 2016, 11:42:35 PM
mc cann is some replacement for mc ginley alright.lol same erratic play only with even worse feet than mc ginley. its prob why tyrone havent pushed on.

Oh dear.

Cllr Willie Power

It shows you how low things were in 2010 when we had to drag Willie Joe out of retirement for a substitute appearance with 3 minutes to go....  :P

Just on the Johnno thing (not going to waste my breath talking about Dumb & Dumber and their fairytale session with Breheny), I recall reading a piece in one of the national papers after his resignation. The journalist told an anecdote about how, shortly after JOM was appointed to the Mayo job, himself and a group of journalists happened to be in the company of a few players at some function or other, one of which was a Mayo player. It was put to said player (who obviously remained nameless) that it was all set up for Mayo now to win Sam in 2007, with the appointment of JOM destined to lead us to the promised land to which the player replied along the lines of "you're joking? We'll go nowhere under him!". To be fair, he was dead right - unless you count rock bottom as a destination.....

Anyway, time to close this thread I reckon as it's going nowhere - FBD starts in a few days and we'll be strapped in again for the roller coaster ride that is Mayo football once again. Bring it on!!  8)

Rossfan

Quote from: Cllr Willie Power on December 29, 2016, 02:10:41 PM
not going to waste my breath talking about Dumb & Dumber and their fairytale session with Breheny),

:D :D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

heffo

Is it Rochey with a y or an ie - there seems to be a couple of variations among Mayo fans

Syferus

The Mayo response here reminds me of the way Gardai treat whistleblowers in their organisation. Seek and destroy.