Proof there is no god.

Started by Agent Orange, February 25, 2015, 09:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Quote from: Imposerous on May 09, 2017, 10:09:36 AM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 09, 2017, 05:09:19 AM
This was an interesting read musta been before

Tho how does a theory of atoms coming to gether prove there is no God? How could science prove there is no God

Science is a study of the physical (empirical) universe

God is a spiritual (non-physical) entity

How can anyone tie the two together?

Richard Dawkins makes a good stab at it and is an excellent debater but ultimately he relies completely on hypothetical arguments and the assumption of a materialist universe. Emanuel Kant would have (still does) made mincemeat out of arguments but sure its a way for him to make a (very decent) living.

How do you know, Joe?

I don't... its called faith, but thats the standard definition of God

Zulu

So can we all make up whatever we want and it is automatically valid as it can't be proved wrong?

Zulu

Just to clarify, I'm not saying all Gods are made up but if faith is enough then surely no belief system is wrong?

AhNowRef

Quote from: armaghniac on February 25, 2015, 10:04:36 PM
Quote"You start with a random clump of atoms,

Anyone see a problem here?

lmao  :o

tonto1888

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 09, 2017, 03:04:44 PM
Quote from: manfromdelmonte on May 09, 2017, 08:15:48 AM

Tho how does a theory of atoms coming to gether prove there is no God? How could science prove there is no God

Richard Dawkins makes a good stab at it and is an excellent debater but ultimately he relies completely on hypothetical arguments and the assumption of a materialist universe. Emanuel Kant would have (still does) made mincemeat out of arguments but sure its a way for him to make a (very decent) living.
there's no evidence for the spiritual entity
so therefore, even talking about it is silly

I think anyone sitting in a foxhole would try anything they could to save their ass

So then... does that make you silly?

IF your talking about scientific evidence then as I said of course there's none. But it seems like your suggesting that scientific evidence can discover everything about everything, it cant. What's the scientific evidence for maths?
Whats the scientific evidence for logic?
Whats the scientific evidence for morals?

And why would you suppose that tools (our senses) that are made for reproducing and surviving gave us a complete or even accurate picture of the cosmos at all?

whats the scientific evidence for maths????

Hardy

Quote from: Zulu on May 09, 2017, 03:10:34 PM
Just to clarify, I'm not saying all Gods are made up but if faith is enough then surely no belief system is wrong?

Which ones aren't?

laoislad

Quote from: Hardy on May 09, 2017, 07:32:46 PM

Which ones aren't?
Robbie Fowler.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

johnneycool

Quote from: Zulu on May 09, 2017, 03:09:13 PM
So can we all make up whatever we want and it is automatically valid as it can't be proved wrong?

Just like Russell's teapot then...

Owen Brannigan

Zulu

Quote from: Hardy on May 09, 2017, 07:32:46 PM

Which ones aren't?

Sorry, poorly worded. I don't think there is a God but if somebody does and that is based on faith, not proof, then would that person not have to accept that any belief is just as valid? So for example, if I said I believed in Gozer the Gozerian and could only eat Weetabix on a Thursday shouldn't any believer of a God accept my beliefs as entirely valid?

Hardy

According to their own standards, yes.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Zulu on May 09, 2017, 03:09:13 PM

You already do... your entire experience of the world is subjective.
Firslty no you couldnt just make it up, you'd have to truely believe it. Ideally we could all do that but for me part of spirituality  is connecting with other souls so they'd have to believe it to, so thats when it gets complicated and where religion comes in to join us together, and leads on to your next point

[/quote]

Possibly they are all right who knows..... maybe you should join the Masons ;)

My own belief is that religion is a way of answering the call of the spiritual and there are different ways of answering that call because it is subjective, although most religions do accomdate for this to some degree.
But then of course just by answering that call means that you believe one belief system is closer to the spiritual "correctness" than another. Its a bit of a conundrum I admit and if you want to take it to a black and white objective conclusion(s) you can say well there is either one correct, they are all correct, or none are correct.

But for me its alot more fuzzy than that since the source of the spiritual is subjective and we all have a personal relationship with God as we all see him in different ways even within religions (which actually most preach). Religion is a man made construction of that spirituality and only a guide to our personal spiritual journey.

Then again is this paradox proof or evidence of no God? Not for me. But if thats your point its not disimilar to saying that because Black Holes dont make sense logically then the entire model of the empirical universe that we understand must be wrong.

omaghjoe

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 09, 2017, 03:17:02 PM

I think anyone sitting in a foxhole would try anything they could to save their ass

IF your talking about scientific evidence then as I said of course there's none. But it seems like your suggesting that scientific evidence can discover everything about everything, it cant. What's the scientific evidence for maths?

And why would you suppose that tools (our senses) that are made for reproducing and surviving gave us a complete or even accurate picture of the cosmos at all?

Did they find some? I'm all ears?

MoChara

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 10, 2017, 04:24:29 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 09, 2017, 03:17:02 PM

Did they find some? I'm all ears?

All Maths would take a while but the basis is if you have one banana and you get another banana you have two bananas, this is proved because you can count them in front of you.

We can make the assumption on what the circumference of a circle is if we know the radius, using C=2πr, we know this because we have measured the circumference of existing circles and it has worked out every time since, if it is later proven to be wrong science will change its understanding as it is not an absolute.

This stands that Science currently has no evidence of a god because it hasn't been proven, if it is proven later science will state so. Science doesn't care whether their is a god or not but merely what can be proven through evidence.