China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

thewobbler

Would NHPET not be better releasing this recommendation in tandem with a financial plan?

Surely the first question on everyone's lips will be "and where do we get money from if we can't go to work?".

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

imtommygunn

No they wouldn't? (Bar you would assume essential services)

imtommygunn

Yeah I would agree. Surely if you go full lockdown schools have to stop too.

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on October 04, 2020, 09:20:16 PM
Yeah I would agree. Surely if you go full lockdown schools have to stop too.
According to this schools stay open.

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/2dc71-level-5/
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Who's paying for it? If we close business's down then who'll pay the mortgage or food bills?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farrandeelin

Quote from: hardstation on October 04, 2020, 09:18:19 PM
What is the point in closing workplaces where social distancing can be adhered to while keeping schools open where it has been abandoned?

That doesn't make any sense to me. If schools are open, people can go to work.

They read this board and take Bunker's opinion into consideration.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on October 04, 2020, 09:29:13 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2020, 09:25:44 PM
Who's paying for it? If we close business's down then who'll pay the mortgage or food bills?
You just go skint and be happy that you are Covid free. All the while your young lad comes in from school everyday where he has been sitting cheek by jowl with maybe 100 others.

And my wife will bring it back! I've one job to do in the house, so if I've a 3 week break I'll get it done!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

armaghniac

You just go skint and be happy that you are Covid free. All the while your young lad comes in from school everyday where he has been sitting cheek by jowl with maybe 100 others.

It would seem to make sense to put second level schools on a 50/50 model in the event of a major closure of business.
The government could employ 100,000 contact tracers and hunt down this virus for once for all.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Blowitupref

Was expecting a few counties to go into level 3 and 4 from next week but level 5 for all is out of the blue. NPHET must be focusing on their modeling system again and looking at what might happen if this action isn't taken?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Itchy

Quote from: thewobbler on October 04, 2020, 08:59:10 PM
Would NHPET not be better releasing this recommendation in tandem with a financial plan?

Surely the first question on everyone's lips will be "and where do we get money from if we can't go to work?".

I think this crowd have lost the plot. Firstly, should they not be presenting recommendations to government not the media. Secondly, these guys only concerned with covid and stopping it. Fair enough. But someone (government) needs to balance mental health, cost etc versus lockdown. I'm beginning to wonder has the celebrity of this got to some of these people. Also, are stats not also showing that fatalities are way lower than before? Are we expecting a world with no deaths. Why are no other countries in Europe suggesting this course of action.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: hardstation on October 04, 2020, 09:41:57 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on October 04, 2020, 09:38:23 PM

And my wife will bring it back! I've one job to do in the house, so if I've a 3 week break I'll get it done!
Your wife will be fine as long as she follows the guidelines. She shouldn't be within 2m of her pupils for more than 15 minutes. It takes much longer than that to catch it.

What about the classroom assistants/SNAs such as my wife who work in autism units? Assigned to particular children for the day, different days. I understand where you're coming from with regards the teaching aspect of school, but the special needs children seem to be 'forgotten' about. Or the SNAs have.

Not getting at you in particular hardstation. Just putting it out there as to what they deal with on a daily basis.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: trileacman on October 04, 2020, 03:04:55 PM
Where's the benefit in closing seaports, airports whilst the border with NI remains open? Derry City/Donegal currently poisoning each other with Covid currently.

I'm sure it hasn't escaped you that we are an island. Any measures proposed need to be applied on an island basis.

I'll look forward to how you get the pubs to close. They're only open and your going to try and close them again.

I'm saying what can be done to limit spread. Not talking about how its implemented. IMO they should never have re-opened.

If the govt is having difficulty policing, then stopping brewers from producing kegs and mandating that deliveries can only be made to off-licenses would go a long way to stopping pubs. No beer = no reason to open. Easier to police a few dozen breweries than hundreds of pubs.

Who's going to police all these restrictions? It was larger done on the goodwill of the population the 1st time around. Against the tide how are the guards going to police all these extra protocols?

3, 4, & 9 are the only measures that would need significant policing resource.

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for the govt to divert a few useless civil servants from their "count the moon" department to go around looking for offenders. F88k, they could even divert the parking attendants to do it. Photo with tape measure and the restaurant gets a closure notice.

Others can dander around the business parks across the country - if an office is open - why? If they don't get remote working up and going, then the govt should obligate their electricity supplier to cut power. No electric = no work. Their call.
i usse an speelchekor

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: marty34 on October 04, 2020, 03:13:20 PM
Might sound good practical but that's nonsense - would be a logistical nightmare.

Course it is! Yet, its still less of a logistical nightmare than shutting down everything again.

If the Education Authority had a few good people instead of brimming with utter incompetents, they'd already have common resources that everyone uses - thus it'd be a lot more straightforward (yet still incredibly difficult) to accomplish this.

Their "guidelines" are an utter embarrassment. Anyone involved in drawing them up should be dismissed and banned from public sector employment.
i usse an speelchekor