Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rodney trotter

I'm comparing the Minor team now to that team then. That team has gone on to more success but some of those players weren't even on the U21 panel this year. One or 2 of those were star players then.
More free scoring forwards like Sean Hendrick, Ryan Connolly, Evan Doughty, James Brady Dara Gannon, Pearse Smith, Brian Magee. A lot of this team is made up of the Virginia and Pats teams of this year, decent options on the bench too.

Thomas Galligan and David Brady Ballyhaise will more then likely be midfield. Anyway Minor teams can be unpredictable but hopefully this team won't show any fear. Tyrone gave Down a hammering last week, they play Monaghan tomorrow before the Senior replay, would expect Tyrone to win that

mylestheslasher

Some guy on hoganstand says Argue, Mackey and Gearoid will not be fit for Armagh. He also says Clarke is going next week. I find it hard to see us beating Armagh with all those missing.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 23, 2014, 09:33:57 AM
I'm comparing the Minor team now to that team then. That team has gone on to more success but some of those players weren't even on the U21 panel this year. One or 2 of those were star players then.
More free scoring forwards like Sean Hendrick, Ryan Connolly, Evan Doughty, James Brady Dara Gannon, Pearse Smith, Brian Magee. A lot of this team is made up of the Virginia and Pats teams of this year, decent options on the bench too.

Thomas Galligan and David Brady Ballyhaise will more then likely be midfield. Anyway Minor teams can be unpredictable but hopefully this team won't show any fear. Tyrone gave Down a hammering last week, they play Monaghan tomorrow before the Senior replay, would expect Tyrone to win that

First of our underage teams with some real classy forwards. Connolly could be special.
Is Tom Hayes on the senior panel?

rodney trotter

No Hayes is not on the Senior panel .. Farrelly and Moynagh were the new additions from the u21's along with the u21s who were already on the panel.

Itchy

How did the all star game go today. Who was playing and who was not?

Itchy

Time for the minor management to hit the road. That was like the bad old days only worse. I never saw such a poorly set up and drilled team in Cavan in a long time. No game plan, no fight and no clue on the line. That's a talented squad wasted. One point in the 2nd half and we went about 40 or maybe 50 minutes without a score. Brutal stuff.

rodney trotter

Been there 4 years now so probaly will be the end of the road. Awful second half display. Armagh used the sweeper well, Cavan found it hard to break them down.

comeysfield

The Brian Sheanon goal chance might have been a turning point. That could have seen us out of sight early in first half. Anybody any idea was SHeanon injured when he was subbed thought he was going well. Also the young lad from Drumlane whose names escapes me surprised he did not take a more central role. Minors are always hard to call, also what exactly is big Dermot's role in the team seemed very involved.

Anybody at the Breffni challenge at the weekend

Westside

Well so much for the free scoring Minors. 6 points at any level is a woeful return. Tough on the lads to let that be their last taste of Minor football, it's a real pity Ulster don't introduce a back door.
More focus needs to be put on the Minors. Firstly they need to get rid of Gary Donohoe, I've been banging this drum for 3 years now, ask the Belturbet lads and the Ballinamore lads what they thought of him. How he has managed 4 years with Cavan Minors is an absolute mystery to me.
I suppose the real fear is that our "conveyor belt" for the past few years was just down to a chance happening of a few quality players coming together and that we won't have nearly the same level of talent coming from now on.

Itchy

McCabe was doing all the roaring like a big ass last night. Not a sound out of Donohoe. Strange set up, need a new management team in there for next year as that was just beyond words yesterday.

rodney trotter

Maybe ask  Tom Reilly why he appointed him. There is good coaches in the County now and a different approach should be looked at next year

There was good talent in that team, maybe a second chance back door system and they wouldn't have been as nervous. Buts that's all ifs and buts

Mccabe was over Gowna  a few years ago and was the exact same, loose canon along the line

rodney trotter

Confirmed on Gaa.ie that Clarke is going http://t.co/xo5XCjbnO4

Cavan defender Killian Clarke will travel to the USA this summer, depriving the Breffni County of arguably their best defender.

The 21-year-old has established himself as arguably the brightest talent among the many young players who have broken onto the Cavan senior team in recent seasons.

It has been reported for weeks that the Shercock youngster, an All Star nominee in 2013, has been considering travelling to Boston for the summer, having represented Cavan at senior championship, U21 and minor level over the last three summers.

There have been considerable attempts made in recent weeks by Cavan management and players to dissuade Clarke from heading to the USA, but his mind is believed to be made up and he is expected to depart for Boston in the coming days.

Clarke revealed his plans to travel to the USA to Cavan manager Terry Hyland in recent weeks, and Cavan are now planning for their June 8 Ulster quarter-final against Armagh without the talented full-back, who has won an Ulster minor medal with Cavan as well as three Ulster U21 medals.

The 21-year-old has established himself as arguably the brightest talent among the many young players who have broken onto the Cavan senior team in recent seasons.

He is the only Cavan man to start in four of the five victorious Ulster final wins at minor and U21 level that Cavan have enjoyed since 2011, and his outstanding displays last summer in Cavan's run to the All-Ireland quarter-finals saw him pick up an All Star nomination, as well as being named in GAA.ie's 'Team of the Season So Far', which was named ahead of the All-Ireland semi-finals.

However, Clarke's versatility and natural athleticism have made him a much in-demand footballer, and he has had a gruelling schedule over the last three years. His involvement with Cavan minor, U21 and senior teams have seen him represent his county with distinction many times over the past few years.

As well as that, he is a student at the University of Ulster, Jordanstown and he was a part of their team which reached the Sigerson Cup final earlier this season. His club Shercock have also had lengthy campaigns over the last few years, winning the Cavan Junior Football Championship in 2011 and contesting an Intermediate Championship final last year, which they narrowly lost to Killeshandra.

Still just 21, Clarke was a key man on the Cavan U21 team which reached the All-Ireland semi-final earlier this year, narrowly losing to Dublin in a compelling semi-final in Portlaoise last month. His youth means he is likely to have several years of Cavan senior football ahead of him, regardless of his 2014 plans.

Cavan will also be without versatile defender Ronan Flanagan this summer. The Castlerahan man, who has been part of the Cavan senior football panel since the 2006 season, played with Hyland's side during their Division III campaign in the Allianz Football League, but he informed management at the beginning of the season that he planned to travel this summer.

Ahead of the Armagh game in 12 days time, Cavan have an injury concern over midfielder GearĂ³id McKiernan, who has had a groin injury recently. McKiernan missed last year's championship campaign due to a cruciate knee ligament injury, and while he featured regularly for Cavan in the recent league campaign, this latest injury has curtailed his preparations considerably for the trip to the Athletic Grounds.

comeysfield

Anybody any ideas on the team or panel for Junior game for tonight versus Wexford

mylestheslasher

Less said about that Minor result the better. Hopefully a good management set up will be put in place. A team made up of some quality players should not be getting bet out the gate like that.

One week to go until Armagh and I see GAA have decreed that Marty Duffy is the man to ref this game. Hopefully he will do better than he did last year. Some interesting news is that Gearoid, Mackey and Keating are just back in training a week following injuries. Hopefully the hard work was done and they will be ok. Rory Dunne and Declan McKiernan doubtful with injuries.

From the recent challenge games (v All Stars & Junior Leinster) I am hearing the Maloney Derham and Paul O Connor are pushing hard. I would not be surprised if Terry changed things a bit from the league final. It will be interesting to see how we set ourselves up and also how Armagh set themselves up given the ridiculous way they played last year and then the famous apology.

Westside

Gary Donohoe is on Brennan and Donohoe's show on Cavantv tonight, hopefully his last act as Minor manager.

As for next weekend well I think expectations have been tempered dramatically given the injury worries and the two losses within a week in April and Clark's subsequent departure for Boston. Going up to Armagh, who will be baying for our blood after last year, we'll have to be very good on the day to get a win.

O'Connor had a fantastic game against Wexford by all accounts and could provide a decent option for the inside forward line from the bench. Armagh will look at the game last year and see that even though their full back line got absolutely annihilated they were still very much in the game with 65 minutes gone. Clarke will be a huge threat, hard to see us keeping him scoreless again. I still think we're a better side than we were at this point last year, the players believe in the system and it's got them to an AIQF, McKenna Cup Final and League Final in the last 12 months.

Anyone know if you'd be safe enough to get a ticket on the day up there?