Official Cavan GAA Thread

Started by BallyhaiseMan, November 10, 2006, 01:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old yeller

Quote from: rodney trotter on April 28, 2014, 03:41:26 PM
He was excellent last year down in Enniskillen in the Championshio, and along with Rory Dunne was one of Cavan best players against Kerry. Does a solid job nothing flashy. He played very little of the League this year due to a wrist injury in the first round of the league, still only coming back to fitness
EVER! Thats his main problem, he does the simple stuff well but never does anything else. Moynagh is a ball player

Old yeller

Quote from: comeysfield on April 28, 2014, 06:22:30 PM
Roscommon scored a fluke going for a point we missed a penalty. That is a five  point turnaround which would have seen us win by 3. Not that simple but you could see us beating those lads 

Maybe we had decided to give Alan Clarke, Keating and Gearoid Game time as they are still on the way back to full fitness. Armagh is the main objective. I think we tried to play a little bit more open we went for the game a bit more and we lost. No big panic the future just might still be blue. Would like to have seen more of Tierney because I thought he deserved a run after the league but there you go
I agree with ya there, on another day we could have ran away with it. Very little between the two teams, Ros beaten once this year, by Cavan and vice versa

Itchy

Ros goal may have been a fluke but in fairness he should have buried it. Ros were worth their win. Our forward line needs surgery but our options are very limited.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Old yeller on April 28, 2014, 07:14:47 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on April 28, 2014, 03:41:26 PM
He was excellent last year down in Enniskillen in the Championshio, and along with Rory Dunne was one of Cavan best players against Kerry. Does a solid job nothing flashy. He played very little of the League this year due to a wrist injury in the first round of the league, still only coming back to fitness
EVER! Thats his main problem, he does the simple stuff well but never does anything else. Moynagh is a ball player

Moynagh also takes too much out of the ball at times and that is not what you want at Senior level. Maybe stick on the wing where he can look good on the ball

mylestheslasher

I think Moynagh is a class act. I think he would be a serious addition to the senior team. I hope he can get over the ankle injury and Terry gives him a shot.

rodney trotter

He is a very good player, but would leave Clarke at Centre back for now anyways. Didn't have his best game on Saturday but he is only coming back from injury and not at full fitness. 6 weeks until Armagh so he should be in full fitness by then

tommysmith

Quote from: mylestheslasher on April 28, 2014, 03:25:08 PM
Quote from: tommysmith on April 28, 2014, 08:30:20 AM
QuoteOf course I dont mind Tommy!

However, In my opinion when you have Gearoid in Ctr Field you need a tracking midfield with him as Gearoid does not track back. Now you could argue that he should but in all the years I've watched him he just doesn't have that in his arsenal. Clarke could do that job, maybe even Corr if he is back in there. Don't agree on Clarke. He is solid and has done well in most games, had a bad day at the office on Saturday. Thats why I think Moynagh is an option, he is an all round footballer and could give us something in the half back line that's been missing. As for Johnston, more chance of me starting against Armagh.

If he does not track back who is going to mark his man, the tracking midfielder cannot mark two men, if he is not going to track back he should not be in midfield or the half forward line either as they attack as much as anyone else. We are at a serious disadvantage when we do not have possession, we need to find lads to play midfield who are athletes and will run all day.

I wouldn't have Clarke on the team not good enough, he does not mark anyone and looks better in some games as he gets on alot of ball his passing and kicking is poor. Moynagh would be better option here but he can be inclined to slow game down and wants to solo around men coming to tackle him which is deadly dangerous. I think we need to move the ball faster our of the backs.

Winning 4 Ulsters at U21 could be fruitless at Senior level as we don't have the midfielders or forwards to compete with the good teams in the modern games.  Monaghan seem to be a good bit ahead of us with little underage success which is worrying.

So are you proposing we take Gearoid out of Midfield?

I think you are being very harsh on Clarke, he played many fine games last year for us including playing a big part in bottling up Jamie Clarke against Armagh.

No but I don't agree with having to play someone along side him that will be defensive because he doesn't track back doing that puts us on the back foot.

I think i'm right about Clarke but we will know more about him in June/July.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on April 28, 2014, 06:26:17 PM
I singled out Keating because he was left on until the end against Kerry and Roscommon and contributed very little. Dunne was taken off against Kerry. Winning your own ball isn't much use if you won't lay it off as players break past and you consistently take impossible shots and waste possession. Of course Dunne should be taken off if he's playing poorly. But simply because Keating is strong enough to win himself some possession doesn't mean he's contributing enough to stay on the field. Keating's shot selection is dire, he seems happy to get one point out of every 3 or 4 hail mary shots he takes, salute the crowd and go at it again.

Harsh on Keating. Not the finished article by any means but still learning.I remember Dunne saluting the crowd last year against Kerry when Cavan were getting hammered. Only time i rememer keating saluting the crowd was a qualifier game in 2012 in Fermanagh.

Bernard Brogan was  a very greedy player a few years ago and is more of a team player now,, no reason why Keating cant change as he gets older. Keating is still 24, not 25 until the end of the year.

Westside

Keating saluted the crowd against Donegal in the Championship in 2011 after he took McGee for a couple of points at the beginning of the game, did it again against Kildare the following year too, I didn't see the one against Fermanagh but there you go.. His miss against London had all the hallmarks of a man who was wheeling away to celebrate before he had actually put the ball in the net. Dunne is much less of a showman and in general doesn't try to pull off the spectacular as much as Keating. Dunne is (in my opinion at least) a much smarter lad on the field.

Anyway both have their faults but there's no doubt that they're the two best we have for the meantime. Whether they are good enough for us to stay in Division 2 and challenge for Ulster remains to be seen.

mylestheslasher

I see over in hoganstand the reaction to our defeat to Roscommon has been to sack the management and bring back Seanie Johnston. Comedy gold. What sort of plonker would support either 6 weeks before the championship?

rodney trotter

Same meltdown when Cavan were beaten by Tyrone in the McKenna Cup final. Its not Professional soccer where you appoint and sack managers because of one or 2 results.

Armagh will be hoping Kernan is fit http://www.hoganstand.com/Cavan/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=215159

Itchy

Does anyone know are the minors playing Armagh the same day as the seniors. I see they hammered Monaghan in the shield final. That should be a good team, I hope they are not let down by poor management.

rodney trotter

No not same day as Seniors, it at end of May - avoid clashing with the LC. Very good Minor team this year,  but its all on day with Minors.

Itchy

How would they be poor with a very good St pats and Virginia team. I think it is the strongest minor team since we won it out a few years ago.

Westside

Minors play in Clones at the end of May. Hard to know how strong they'll be. Hammered Monaghan in the shield and scored 5 goals in the process but lost to Down and Monaghan too in previous games. I wouldn't know many of the players out from Connolly and Raythorne. Thomas Galligan scored 3 or 4 of the goals v Monaghan.

I've heard more stories this year about poor treatment of young lads on the panel by management so I'll keep banging the same drum I did last year: Donohoe shouldn't be there.