Started by CĂșig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rrhf

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 18, 2010, 03:06:12 AM
Posted on football365.com

Apologies for dragging this up again!

HENRY SET FOR FIFA HEARING

Posted 17/01/10 21:35

To be fair I think Staunton should be next in line.

Thierry Henry will face FIFA's disciplinary committee on Monday over his infamous handball against the Republic of Ireland.

The French striker's case will come before FIFA after it was referred to disciplinary chiefs by the world governing body's executive committee last month.

Henry's handball in the run-up to William Gallas' decisive goal in the World Cup qualifying play-off for France led to FIFA agreeing to have another look at video evidence, as well as considering whether to take action against the 32-year-old former Arsenal player.

The outcome is uncertain however - Henry's defence will argue that FIFA's disciplinary code does not give the committee the ability to punish such incidents. Under current rules, only the illegal use of a hand to prevent a goal being scored is covered in relation to possible sanctions.

It may be therefore that the Barcelona striker escapes with a warning or a fine rather than a ban which would rule him out for one of more matches in the World Cup finals in South Africa this summer.

The Football Association of Ireland were infuriated by the goal and demanded a replay, even suggesting they should be allowed to go to the World Cup as a 33rd team.

seafoid

Quote from: mouview on November 15, 2017, 07:41:53 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 15, 2017, 07:36:38 PM
The Board could do with a template for an underperforming team with mediocre players and a manager who can't turn Buckfast into Chablis. Armagh, Meath, Laois and Galway footballers all share the issues with the BIG.

Ireland's last line of defence last night reminded one so much of the Galway footballers FB line these past few years.
Last night was very reminiscent of the Tipp QF last year when Quinlivan tore the arse out of it.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: seafoid on November 15, 2017, 08:11:48 PM
The Board could do with a template for an underperforming team with mediocre players and a manager who can't turn Buckfast into Chablis. Armagh, Meath, Laois and Galway footballers all share the issues with the BIG.

Ireland's last line of defence last night reminded one so much of the Galway footballers FB line these past few years.
Last night was very reminiscent of the Tipp QF last year when Quinlivan tore the arse out of it.

Kyne is desperately limited but you're doing him an incredible disservice comparing him to Stephen Ward.

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 08:32:30 PM

Kyne is desperately limited but you're doing him an incredible disservice comparing him to Stephen Ward.

Another classless post Sphillis. Ward has been excellent for us this campaign although he had a nightmare last day oit. Interestingly if you follow fantasy premier league, he is the 4th highest scoring defender in the whole league do far.

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on November 15, 2017, 11:08:10 PM

Another classless post Sphillis. Ward has been excellent for us this campaign although he had a nightmare last day oit. Interestingly if you follow fantasy premier league, he is the 4th highest scoring defender in the whole league do far.

Never rated him. When Coleman is back I'd move Christie to the other wing and drop Ward. Christie has his own limitations but there's much more about him going either way that Ward who is just a stopper, and a bad one at that.

Itchy

Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 11:12:22 PM

Never rated him. When Coleman is back I'd move Christie to the other wing and drop Ward. Christie has his own limitations but there's much more about him going either way that Ward who is just a stopper, and a bad one at that.

guy has scored and a few assists in prem league. Christie would be s disaster at left back as he has no left foot. hope you don't get o Neills job.

An Watcher

I'd be inclined to put Christie in front of Coleman and let them work in tandem.

As for O'Neill, he rolled the dice at half time last night and lost out.  He has done remarkably well though to get us so close.  I hope some of those new young strikers plus Conor Hourihan could step up in the next campaign.  We have a solid group of players.  Unfortunately we're missing one top class forward player.

Syferus

Quote from: Itchy on November 15, 2017, 11:57:48 PM
Quote from: Syferus on November 15, 2017, 11:12:22 PM

guy has scored and a few assists in prem league. Christie would be s disaster at left back as he has no left foot. hope you don't get o Neills job.

Can't do much worse than O'Neill did last night. If you're really that worried about Christie's left foot play Coleman on the left, then. Anything to get Ward out of the fecking team.

rrhf

I have a feeling o Neill will tell youse to fcuk off by the weekend. Principled man - won't take long to make up his mind.

Gold

Shane Long shouldve been on from the start...he's our best forward by a distance...there's a reason he plays in Prem and the Dazzler doesnt

As for McGeady being brought on...if he is the answer what it the f**king question?! I saw a player rating yesterday re McGeady where it said 'no end product'....i mean ffs..that has been said for over 10 yrs for that man....how he is in the squad idk
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

seafoid

Quote from: An Watcher on November 15, 2017, 11:59:02 PM
I'd be inclined to put Christie in front of Coleman and let them work in tandem.

As for O'Neill, he rolled the dice at half time last night and lost out.  He has done remarkably well though to get us so close.  I hope some of those new young strikers plus Conor Hourihan could step up in the next campaign.  We have a solid group of players.  Unfortunately we're missing one top class forward player.
Donie Kingston has left the Laois panel...
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Billys Boots

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2017, 05:28:00 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on November 15, 2017, 05:17:52 PM
Quote from: Billys Boots on November 15, 2017, 05:14:45 PM
Dinny, it's not laid out in detail yet about the U15s, but the impression I'm getting is that it will be very localised leagues, i.e. Finn Harps won't be playing Waterford regularly.  I have misgivings about the U13s myself, but I haven't heard how this will be conducted yet.

Also on the U15, I hear they are being fairly strict on other codes too. Lads are being told that if they make the Waterford U15 team, they are not allowed play GAA etc.

That would be a concern, they are simply too young to be making that decision and committing to one sport

I don't know about that, but you would think that would be similar at 'elite' levels for most sports by U15.  Not at grassroots, mind. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Jim_Murphy_74

It is informative to consider the bewilderment of outside observers when it comes to the level of expectation the soccer public in Ireland hold for their squad.   

Squads of greater ability than the current have come and gone, yet we have only graced 2 World Cups.  So, it is no surprising that O'Neill points out that they were within 90 minutes of this one.

On the whole he has done well with this squad result-wise.  As for style, there have been quibbles but style only becomes an issue when you lose.  I think most people choose to ignore the rantings of the likes of Dunphy et al.  Only a lunatic thinks that a 35 year old reserve from a Championship side is going to allow pass teams off the park. 

However, this week is a serious blot on the copybook, not just results wise.   From RTE, only Ronnie Whelan picked up on the fact that players were mouthing off with each other.  They were rattled.  They know that it was their failure to handle a short corner, not Keane's, not O'Neills.   I think the occasion got to some of them.    But we were told his strong point was motivating and giving lads confidence.   Also the half-time substitution smacked of management panic.   

O'Neill owes his employers and explanation for that but some of mad outrage elsewhere, well it's just mad Ted.

/Jim.

Syferus

Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 16, 2017, 10:00:55 AM
It is informative to consider the bewilderment of outside observers when it comes to the level of expectation the soccer public in Ireland hold for their squad.   

Squads of greater ability than the current have come and gone, yet we have only graced 2 World Cups.  So, it is no surprising that O'Neill points out that they were within 90 minutes of this one.

On the whole he has done well with this squad result-wise.  As for style, there have been quibbles but style only becomes an issue when you lose.  I think most people choose to ignore the rantings of the likes of Dunphy et al.  Only a lunatic thinks that a 35 year old reserve from a Championship side is going to allow pass teams off the park. 

However, this week is a serious blot on the copybook, not just results wise.   From RTE, only Ronnie Whelan picked up on the fact that players were mouthing off with each other.  They were rattled.  They know that it was their failure to handle a short corner, not Keane's, not O'Neills.   I think the occasion got to some of them.    But we were told his strong point was motivating and giving lads confidence.   Also the half-time substitution smacked of management panic.   

O'Neill owes his employers and explanation for that but some of mad outrage elsewhere, well it's just mad Ted.

/Jim.

Jim, we need to talk.

longballin

Quote from: Syferus on November 16, 2017, 10:04:57 AM
Quote from: Jim_Murphy_74 on November 16, 2017, 10:00:55 AM

/Jim.

Jim, we need to talk.

Don't tell him...