Connacht Minor, U-20 and Junior championships 2020

Started by Farrandeelin, April 25, 2018, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Trouble in paradise.

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/galway-minor-football-manager-unhappy-hurling-counterpart-159249

Galway minor football manager unhappy with hurling counterpart

NIALL MCINTYRE

The perils of being good at both.
Galway are without doubt one of if not the most successful dual county in Ireland. While the common conception is that the majority of hurlers are from the east of the county, and footballers from the west, the reality is that there are a number who excel at both codes.

Hurlers Cathal and Padraig Mannion, John Hanbury, Daithí Burke and Matt Donoghue are all esteemed footballers. And despite Damien Comer, Danny Cummins and Eamonn Brannigan all being better known for their exploits with the big ball, they are adept with a stick in their hands also.

When it gets to senior, the majority of these players make a choice as to which code they'll stick with but in previous years, there hasn't been a huge problem with players playing both codes at an underage level for Galway. Tom Flynn and Daithí Burke, for example played both codes at minor and under-21 without any problems arising.

Some problems have arisen this year, however.

Galway minor football manager Donal Ó Fatharta was interviewed on Raidió Na Gaeltachta by Cárthach Breathnach in the aftermath of his side's comprehensive victory over Roscommon in their Connacht Championship first round clash on Friday evening.

Ó Fatharta, a member the An Spideal hurling and football club, hit out at minor hurling manager Jeffrey Lynskey for preventing a number of his panellists from playing football as well as hurling in maroon.

"They (a group of players) were with us in January but there was a decision made that I didn't agree with and I fought as much as I could, but I wasn't listened to at all," began Ó Fátharta.

It is claimed that Lynskey has disallowed ten of his panel members from playing football.

"It was the manager of the hurling panel, Jeffrey Lynskey who made the decision. It wouldn't be right that I would have that power, and in my opinion, it's not right that anybody would have that power," he continued.

"This first happened in February, we're without, around ten of them who would probably be on the panel.

"But we drew a line in the sand in February and from then on we said that's the panel we have for the year now.

"The power should be with the county board for something like that, but that's the way it is and we're going to work away with what we have...It will be in front of the board and the clubs in the future."

Maroon Manc

Thats a bizare result from Tuam even more so given they were level after 30 minutes. I saw the highlights, Galway looked to have some  great forwards.

Syferus

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on May 05, 2018, 09:08:26 AM
Ross were marginally the better team in the first until we got 2 very late goals, one a penalty.  Galway upped it significantly in the second half and it was very much one way traffic as the score line suggests.

As much about young players dropping the head and talking a hammering as it was anything brilliant from Galway. Given the underage results between the same players previously it appears a very anomalous result and hopefully one we will get a chance to correct if we beat Mayo in Kiltoom on Friday.

Halloran at 11 stood out though, but it seemed mad playing him if he needed such a heavy knee brace and then having to be removed with a lot left on the clock simply as a precaution. We're well used to short term thinking with talented young players here too.

Laoiseabu

Anywhere I can see the Galway Roscommon minor highlights?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Laoiseabu on May 08, 2018, 01:37:15 PM
Anywhere I can see the Galway Roscommon minor highlights?

should be on the tg4 player at some stage

GalwayBayBoy

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 09, 2018, 03:14:27 PM
Sligo have withdrawn from the junior.

Bereavement in the camp. Condonlences to those involved.

It's been a long time now since all five Connacht counties actually played in junior.

sligoman2

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

ck

MayoBuck

Mayo juniors ahead of Leitrim at the break, 0-10 to 0-3.

MayoBuck

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

SLIGONIAN

How good are Galway minors :o They're going to hammer everyone in Connacht,

Roscommon hammering Mayo
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

An Fhairche Abu

The Rossies are absolutely pasting Mayo, great response from their young lads to the bad result last week.

Cunny Funt

Tonight minor Results

Sligo 0-10 Galway 3-15
Roscommon 4-12 Mayo 0-11