Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

Quote from: bridgegael on December 03, 2013, 11:00:12 AM
the leagues are fine.  its the 4/5week break in june/july that causes this problem.

I'm not so sure. Even with great intentions, it only takes a few postponed league games, or a strong show from Down in the AI, to push the leagues into September, and from there it's completely at the mercy of Championship fixtures.

extra time

In 1977 Longstone and Greencastle finished level at the top of the South Down Intermediate league. Greencastle had already won the Junior championship in September 1977, but there was no Ulster competition in those days. The league final was not played until the first week in January 1978, so this end of season stuff is not new.

supersub

Quote from: thewobbler on December 03, 2013, 12:04:22 PM
the leagues are fine.  its the 4/5week break in june/july that causes this problem.

I'm not so sure. Even with great intentions, it only takes a few postponed league games, or a strong show from Down in the AI, to push the leagues into September, and from there it's completely at the mercy of Championship fixtures.

There was no such extent of a break this year though? It was exactly 3 weeks in July with no game this year, hardly a huge dent in the season. Armagh have the system of having the league over before the start of the championship, county football also works this way, surely worth a try so to stop the complaining, just a thought.

Down Follower

Quote from: supersub on December 03, 2013, 01:53:28 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on December 03, 2013, 12:04:22 PM

There was no such extent of a break this year though? It was exactly 3 weeks in July with no game this year, hardly a huge dent in the season. Armagh have the system of having the league over before the start of the championship, county football also works this way, surely worth a try so to stop the complaining, just a thought.

There were however a number of breaks to allow the County team to have training weekends.  Leagues never got going properly until after the July break.

Don Johnson

Any word of the down team to play armagh tomorrow night?

Armagh team has been announced on twitter. Streamed on that armagh tv too.

downjim

In the Gaelic life McCorry is mulling over his future with the magpies. I WOULD LOVE TO SEE HIM AT BURREN!!!!

Courtney

Jim , no chance with that  probably a negotiating ploy !

Why could Burren not turn to men within the club ?The problem is too many wanting to critiise others from inside the club.I feel it is time a man like Brendan McKernan stepped up to the plate and manage the club and no need for an outsider trainer either.He managed the county u21s.Maybe a return for Paddy O'Rourke ?
Burrren needs Burren people managing to create that missing ingredient .The amount of money Burren has spent in the last 15 years and to get just 2 titles with the history that is there is senseless.Time to go for an insider.

downjim

I think he knows he had got the best out of this group of players. This was a chance to win Ulster and they failed. By the talk of Jim it seems he  would leave if he got a good offer. I can't understand why he is not managing a county side. If he leaves Kilcoo they would struggle as they play his way perfectly. Another man in would upset the applecart ! Who will Kilcoo go for though? There is not that many top class managers left???

Courtney

Jim no doubt about McCorry , a class manager .What will happen now is that he will

A, Stay and this is a negotiation ploy   or

B.Finish up with Kilcoo and wait a year or 2 for Down Senior Post

washed_up

you forgot to category C-Or go to where he gets the most money

Buffer

That's like Alex ferguson leaving man u to go and manage Sunderland...why would he leave probably the best team in down to manage a lesser talented team,not going to happen downjim.if he leaves kilcoo I'd say it's for a break or waiting on wee James to step aside.

umpire

Armagh 2.15 Down 1.17 in tonight game.

Mourne Rover

Destination Newry does a much better job than Armagh TV, through both pictures and words, so it was sometimes difficult to follow tonight's game online. It was obviously a glorified friendly, with handling errors galore on both sides, which Down had more than enough chances to win. According to the commentator, we have not won at the Athletic Grounds in any competition since 1992.

The starting line-up appeared to be - Shane Harrison: Eoghan Costello, Peter Turley, Benny McArdle: Ryan Mallon, Conor Garvey, Darren O'Hagan: Liam Devlin (Banbridge), Peter Fitzpatrick; Niall Madine, Conleth O'Hare (Mayobridge), Damien Turley; Liam Doyle, Connaire Harrison, Sean Bell (RGU).

southdown

We beat Monaghan in Ulster at Armagh not too long ago.

Mourne Rover

The commentators were refering to games against Armagh. We obviously have not beaten them away in the championship since 1992, and almost certainly not in the league either. Unless an McKenna Cup win sneaked in along the way, our record against our neighbours at the Athletic Grounds has been unrelentingly dismal. Our next visit is a big one, under the Friday night lights in February.